• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    Watching coverage on dutch tv, the whole thing feels even harder to comprehend than an accidental plane crash with it having been taken out at 10 km height by a missile. Crazy. Has this ever happened before to a commercial flight?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, Korean Airlines Flight 007, Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 and Aerolinee Itavia Flight 870 come to mind, wiki them. Very sad.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014 edited
    — April 20, 1978: Korean Airlines Flight 902, which diverted from its planned course on a flight from Paris to Seoul and strayed over the Soviet Union. After being fired upon by an interceptor aircraft, the crew made a forced landing at night on the surface of a frozen lake. Two of the 97 passengers were killed by the hostile fire.

— Sept. 1, 1983: Korean Air Lines Flight 007 shot down by at least one Soviet air-to-air missile after the 747 had strayed into Soviet airspace. All 240 passengers and 29 crew were killed.

— July 3, 1988: Iran Air Flight 655 Aircraft was shot down by a surface to air missile from the American naval vessel U.S.S. Vincennes. All 16 crew and 274 passengers were killed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    That's just insane. In various footage of the crash made by locals from a distance, those same locals were apparently rejoiced thinking it was a military vessel that had gone down. The footage they've been showing of the crash site is very graphic to say the least.
  1. francis wrote
    The footage they've been showing of the crash site is very graphic to say the least.

It is very graphic. You find yourself wanting to look. But I now wish that I hadn't.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
    Yes, horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Concur with all, horrible
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
    francis wrote
    The footage they've been showing of the crash site is very graphic to say the least.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to avoid it.

Anyway, it seems that it was shot down by pro-russian separatists who thought it was a military plane-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fRHv--JiY

It sounds legit. The separatist major who inspected the crash site sounds rather traumatized by his findings.

I guess I'm a tiny bit relieved if civilians weren't targeted on purpose, but still the end result is the same.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What I find exceedingly disturbing is that apparently these separatists have weapons on a military grade enough to take out a passenger plane at extreme altitude.

Putin has LOT to answer for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, it would be like handing a baby a shotgun. Although I've also read that it's quite possible that these weapons were stolen from the Ukrainians.

Anyway, Putin is ultimately responsible for all the crap that's been happening. I guess he wanted to be more popular in Russia, and it seems he has succeeded.

Peter
  2. I'd read that at least one of the black box flight recorders was on its way to Moscow. Maybe it would "go missing" in transit?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or is switched, or deleted or damaged or...
    I swear it's the Cold War again, back with a vengeance.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Putin is a chip off the old red block.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Last time I read there had been no Americans listed as passengers so that will be the interest of Obama dwindling.

Also, the US were quite vocal about the civilian casualties as a result of this military action but they seem quite quiet about the civilian casualties in the Gaza Strip. Double standards?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The major difference is that in the Gaza both parties are committing acts of atrocity, and every action -from either side- calls forth an equal (or worse) reaction. Like Yugoslavia in the nineties, there are no good guys. Just a bunch of maniacs killing each other. And of course the innocents, as always, die in the crossfire under the banner of the age-old excuse "but THEY started it".

The MH017 incident isn't comparable as it was never a military target. They didn't get in the crosshairs, they were never collateral damage. A military group just randomly fired a rocket, uncaring about anything, destroying a plane. Because they could. No one from that plane could ever be accused of starting anything, let alone be a party to the conflict.

If Hamas would target an international school complex, or if Israel gunships would target a Greece-funded old age home, destroying hundreds of lives in one fell swoop, you bet your bottom dollar the US would be vocal.

Anyway, I doubt very seriously the US' interest will wane.
    As I suggested before, this has great potential for the Cold War heating up again, especially as Putin is getting his hands dirty now (what with shipping the blackl box in). This will cause the international community to have a much closer look at the current conflict in the Ukraine, which I have no doubt will uncover some very sinister Russian machinations. Some very major global relations are at risk here.

Not so, of course, in Nigeria.
    Which is why these demons are still running free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd read that at least one of the black box flight recorders was on its way to Moscow. Maybe it would "go missing" in transit?

Sounds like normal procedure
  4. Yeah, with the exception being that according to international law, this happened on Ukrainian territory. The boxes should go to Kiev, not to Moscow.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Martijn wrote
    The MH017 incident isn't comparable...

Maybe I am just being naive but I'm stripping away all the politics, etc and thinking only of the innocent civilian casualties who are caught up in all these conflicts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014
    Yeah, you're not wrong. slant I find myself rather agreeing with this sentiment for a while now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It seems like the turmoil will never end.
    Tom sad
  6. "Der Krieg ist eine ewige Tatsache. Wäre die Welt ein Einheitsstaat, würde man die Kriege Aufstände nennen."
    "War is an eternal fact. Would the Earth be one unified state, wars would be called insurrections."

Oswald Spengler
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    What I find exceedingly disturbing is that apparently these separatists have weapons on a military grade enough to take out a passenger plane at extreme altitude.

Putin has LOT to answer for.

Will he? American's response was very mild so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Your right Demetris it has been here so far.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote

Yeah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    American's response was very mild so far.

sdtom wrote
    Your right Demetris it has been here so far.

Yeah, but what would you have Obama do? Go to war? Against Russia?
    Reagan faced the same dilemma after the Korea airliner incident.

Best we can hope for is sharper trade restrictions (which have all but been committed to) and a much keener international eye on the Ukraine situation. Even though it is blatantly obvious Russia has a large part to play in this horrible event, more than, as I said before, a heating up if the Cold War (or, if you will, a cooling off of the US-Russian relationship, which will mainly have economic consequences rather than military ones) is just not a realistic global political scenario.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I bet Putin is shaking like a leaf at the hot bluster that'll be aimed at him from David Cameron.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no war, but he should urge Uk and Germany to get off their politically correct asses and force more sanctions against Russia. And Obama avoided to directly blame Russia. Same as UK and Germany who take the safe, 'let's wait and see first' route. Wait and see what? The crash area has been looted, littered, destroyed. God knows where the cvr and fdr are and who will be handed to. Russia's MAK will someday soon announce that the post-impact fire and impact forces destroyed the cvr and fdr and cannot be read out anymore.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Russians flood billions into the City of London ( a lot of it illegal but hey, with that amount of money who's going to complain, eh? rolleyes ) and most importantly Putin is in charge of our gas ( or is that ass? ), nothing PC about it D, Prime minister David Cameron will spew a bit of hot air at Putin and that'll be it. Pathetic isn't it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same as here, in Cyprus. We financially depend largely on Russians. But what does that mean? he will spin the world around? EU must take action. In the meantime, more articles come up with indications that the missile might actually have been Russian-driven and controlled and not pro-Russian Rebels, at least not without Russia's help'cause it's a very complex, Russian-built system. There's much much more to this story it seems.