• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016 edited
    Today the first documented incident (so far at least) of someone coming into EU as a refugee and then turning into a knife-wielding snackbar simply occurred. 17 years old, just like that. Imagine a future where a lot of tortured from life kids and teens grow up as refugees in EU away from their countries, through all the difficulties and problems of being a refugee anyway, growing up into even more pissed-off and angry (than their predecessors) snackbarists. They are the easier target. Young with no future ahead at least to their eyes. Here's the video ISIL released about him https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … mPIFqLTUGQ
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Another one. Munich. 9 dead.

I think the worst thing is that this happens so often now that I actually read the "9 dead" figure with relief. "At least it's not in double or triple digits this time", I thought. But for fuck's sake, it shouldn't be it any digits at all.

Why are some people so wrong in the head???
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016
    has it been claimed by the religious nut-jobs yet? ISIS is a key for socio-psychopathic miserable low life everywhere.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    What a horrible planet some people have made this to live on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's happening ffs...don't you agree that EU must do something quick or else it would entirely turn into a war zone ? i mean it's already half-there...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    What's happening ffs...don't you agree that EU must do something quick or else it would entirely turn into a war zone ? i mean it's already half-there...

The EU has less power than many claim it has.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I just can believe all these event happening almost daily now. My fiancé's sister lives with her family in Munich, they are all ok thank God, my brother lives in Herenforde and travels to London at times and my sweet baby boy,my nephew, is going to live with him at last this coming August. I almost left Greece a few months ago. And there isn't a freaking day that I don't get to read that something terrible happened in England or France or Germany or anywhere in the world! Something related to people going crazy over politics or religion or personal preferences! Jesus! Are we never going to have peace again?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. Timmer wrote
    has it been claimed by the religious nut-jobs yet? ISIS is a key for socio-psychopathic miserable low life everywhere.

While probably the perpetrator was radical, he is of Iranian descent, so this makes the chances that it was ISIS this time minimal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, whether it was in the name of Allah or in the name of Allah at this point matters little to the likes of IS. As long as the common goal (destruction of anything not connected to Islam) is furthered.
    Although of course once htat's done it's a given that they'll continue the destruction inward for whatever bloodthirsty theological reason they can dream up. Thy are the classic example of an apocalyptic movement.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.
    There are still so many different accounts floating around about what happened that I'll reserve judgement.
    It's even still likely it was someone who was bullied horribly and snapped.

These are times when destruction keeps insinuating itself as a solution.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. As it looks the young man wasn't religious at all actually. Also he wasn't a refugee but was born and raised in Munich. He has received medical treatment for some form of depression. He owned a pistol that was likely obtained illegally. Looks like this has been an amok run with no ideological background whatsoever. Which of course will be no comfort to anyone affected by this tragic event.

slant Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And on the same day, exactly 5 years after the horrible Breivik attacks here in Norway. I wonder if there's a link? Either way, another gruesome event. What a summer it has been.... sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Would you believe I was thinking about you yesterday Thor? I was thinking about the bus you missed. What a summer indeed. I hope nothing more happens.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Munich police does not think it's coincidence although there is no indication of any radical political inclination, neither islamistic nor far right.
  5. Martijn wrote
    Well, whether it was in the name of Allah or in the name of Allah at this point matters little to the likes of IS. As long as the common goal (destruction of anything not connected to Islam) is furthered.
    Although of course once htat's done it's a given that they'll continue the destruction inward for whatever bloodthirsty theological reason they can dream up. Thy are the classic example of an apocalyptic movement.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.
    There are still so many different accounts floating around about what happened that I'll reserve judgement.
    It's even still likely it was someone who was bullied horribly and snapped.

These are times when destruction keeps insinuating itself as a solution.

I would simply (as in the case with the Australian nutcase) not give credit to IS for an attack (even if "officially" a terrorist one!) performed by a person with a potential Shi'a background. In case of that particular organization it is relevant as it has been widely known that Shi'a Muslims were specifically targeted by IS in Syria and Iraq without even stating the "convert or die" ultimatum. They were (still are, I guess) murdering them on the spot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Well, whether it was in the name of Allah or in the name of Allah at this point matters little to the likes of IS.

I love the lack of self-awareness with 'progressive' Islam apologists:

"No, no. This seems to be Shi'a. Nothing to do with ISIS!"

"Okay, but you're admitting that Islamic beliefs matter if you're able to draw a distinction between the sects in Islam."

"No, this is politics."

"Islam is political."

"Yeah, but Bush, Blair, Iraq."

"Islam has been at war with the west, infidels, kafirs, long before these leaders were even born."

"Islamophobe!"

(I'm not saying this attack is Islamic, I honestly can't make heads or tails of this one. But this is what I've already seen on social media.)
  6. It can be Islamist, I don't deny that (then again, I prefer the term Jihadist, but whatever for the sake of argument). I just claim it can't be, actually, ISIS. And yes, it does come into play in the discussions, as Sunni and Shi'a are in perpetual war. While ISIS never got to their territories, Hizbullah for one considers themselves at war with ISIS. Same with, say, Hamas and Hizbullah, while they don't attack each other, as they have a mutual enemy, they don't really collaborate, they have different agendas.

Incidentally, if we are into that, that was one of the burning points in Iraq under Saddam, which only came into play after he was toppled - it was a Shi'a majority ruled by a Sunni. To simplify the issue for the sake of argument, of course, I don't mention the Kurds, a wholly different ballgame, one that could do major damage to ISIS, if fucking Turkey didn't bomb their positions at a point.
  7. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Well, whether it was in the name of Allah or in the name of Allah at this point matters little to the likes of IS.

"Okay, but you're admitting that Islamic beliefs matter if you're able to draw a distinction between the sects in Islam."

I'm not sure I quite understand this argument. Obviously religious believes matter. At this point - And of course it is an ongoing investigation at an early stage. - it seems that religion has not been the driving force behind this particular incident. It has indeed been the crucial motivation for all those appalling attacks we have seen. (Another one today in Kabul.) So I don't mean to defend religion in general or Islam in particular. At this point though it seems that the Munich attack has more in common with Columbine and Winnenden than with those IS related mass murders.
    The simple fact that the Munich attacker was a Shi'a Muslim (not practising it seems) should not let us jump to any conclusions one way or the other.

Volker
  8. What is actually going on in my view is an agent's war (Stellvertreterkrieg) between Saudi Arabia and Iran, the foremost powers representing Shi'a and Sunna. This all reminds me of the 30-Years-War when Sweden and Spain fought it out with hired troops in foreign territories. Today as back then economic agendas mingle with religious ideologies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm not sure I quite understand this argument.

Though I wasn't necessarily referring to Pawel here, he brought up a good point: My argument is that the sort of people that go out of their way not to indict Islam (those who refuse to admit that ISIS are Islamic) will go so far, on that point, as to recognise the sectarian differences within the faith in order not to indict a particular group. They admit that religious belief here seems to matter, for where else does Islamic sectarian division come from, but when it comes to Islam itself, they pull back. That's what I mean by a lack of self-awareness.
  9. Well, there has been one situation I repeatedly mentioned where I think IS was used as a proxy to downright influence the discussion itself. It was also an Iranian guy, this time taking hostages in an Australian city some time ago (if you remember the I'll Ride with You hashtag that went on afterwards, that's the one). It was, to me, a false flagging of what seemed to be a very mentally disturbed individual who had to flee his country to Australia, was a convicted rapist (if I remember correctly, that was precisely the reason he escaped Iran) who flashed ISIS flags all of a sudden.

And first thing that raised an eyebrow was why would an Iranian, a Shi'a, support an organization which would actually murder him on the spot?
  10. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm not sure I quite understand this argument.

Though I wasn't necessarily referring to Pawel here, he brought up a good point: My argument is that the sort of people that go out of their way not to indict Islam (those who refuse to admit that ISIS are Islamic) will go so far, on that point, as to recognise the sectarian differences within the faith in order not to indict a particular group. They admit that religious belief here seems to matter, for where else does Islamic sectarian division come from, but when it comes to Islam itself, they pull back. That's what I mean by a lack of self-awareness.

And there is another thing I would consider that is not necessarily politically correct. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Let's remember the fact that one of the terrorists' PR elements, those that helps them garner a lot of new blood is that there is a some kind of apocalyptic war on Islam going on around the world. I came to think that the whole Not All Muslims movement might have come from the fact that world leaders don't want to give the terrorists the benefit to have actual support for this claim. Maybe it's, basically, counterpropaganda?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe it's, basically, counterpropaganda?

Nail, meet head. Exactly. Except they obfuscate from the real issue, which ironically increases real bigotry towards Muslims, and doesn't equip both liberal Muslims and non-Muslims to understand the real problem. If lefties (whatever that means anymore) could just get it in their heads that Islam is a set of ideas, and not a racial identity, we might get somewhere.
  11. Yeah, but...

In theory IS has a shitload of people recruited from the West. We are talking about Jihadi John and all that. Was he white? Bear in mind that most of the moderate Muslims aren't of Arab origin. Polish Muslims never ever considered going against the state in anything and are a very valuable part of our society, somehow actually (I went into a discussion with one) even the radical righties respect them (the discussion was like: Me: All Musloms? What about the Polish ones? He: Leave them OUT of this, they're patriots...

then Muslims ARE evil or not?)

While I don't intend to suddenly turn on all Arabs, the experience we have gives a certain correlation between this particular set of ideas (which may but doesn't have to be always very dangerous, in the early Middle Ages for example I'd rather pay the tax and be a Christian in Northern Africa than live in Europe, for one) and a certain racial identity.

So I am asking a genuine question here:

How do we stop obfuscating from the idea that Islam has a set of threatening ideas (I'd rather put it this way) while keeping the counterpropaganda we need to have in the battle of wills as David Ignatius, one of the best journalists dealing with the matter, put it 10 years ago?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016
    More Muslim love over Germany today ..and by a refugee (supposedly)
  12. That was DEFINITELY an IS attack, not just because they admitted to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So I am asking a genuine question here:

How do we stop obfuscating from the idea that Islam has a set of threatening ideas (I'd rather put it this way) while keeping the counterpropaganda we need to have in the battle of wills as David Ignatius, one of the best journalists dealing with the matter, put it 10 years ago?

I will relay what I wrote to my friend on this point. He's gay, super liberal, and very much on the left, which will put much of the following in context:

Take the idea that homosexuality is immoral and that gay people deserve to be punished for it. Now imagine, on top of this, it comes from a book widely believed to be written by an infallible omniscient creator. Clearly a recipe for disaster. But of course, even in light of the infallibility, there are degrees of adherence that make all the difference: You can ignore it; you can reinterpret it (somehow); you can believe it and still think your gay friend is a good person (cognitive dissonance); you can believe and not act on it (moral dissonance); or, worse, you can believe it and act on it (theocracy).

The fact that the idea is believed and acted on to several different degrees does not make the idea itself any less dangerous or any less worthy of contempt, nor does it prevent it from becoming an ideology. But it's an idea that's believed by enough people for it to cause problems, and that's why it's especially important to criticise these ideas, recognise where they come from, understand why they're so popular, and not worry about offending people in the process.

Islam is not a racial identity that one is born into, despite its survival through child indoctrination. It is a set of IDEAS, ideas which you can disagree with and most of which are appalling, and many that are still believed by the majority of Muslims. Some of these ideas are taken so seriously that we get groups like ISIS and the Taliban -- but clearly not all Muslims are bad because of them. In fact, some are Muslim only in name. Ali Rizvi, a die-hard critic of Islam, considers himself an atheist Muslim! He can appreciate the culture without believing the bullshit. Alas, there aren't enough people like this in my opinion. Still, this is the crucial difference between bigotry and criticism, and why apologising for Islam ('apologetics' meaning 'in defense of') does not get us anywhere. It sweeps the problem under the rug.

I admit, I get highly irritated, perhaps unfairly, whenever I see the false-but-well-intentioned narrative that terrorism has 'nothing' or 'little' do with Islam, and that terrorists aren't 'real' Muslims. It often comes from a genuine desire to protect decent Muslims from bigotry, which I don't deny exists, and it's a highly admirable intention -- but it comes at the cost of the truth. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as it's said. By failing to recognise the difference between ideas and people, by conflating reasoned criticism with bigotry towards individuals, the 'sin' of homosexuality is the sort of idea you are giving a free pass... which is as about as ironic as it gets. The left, whatever that means anymore, has failed to protect us from bad ideas, all in the name of fairness, equality and political correctness. All good things in principle, but when applied in practise, have the potential to be disastrous.

Trust me, I'm right there with you. I want us all to live in peace and harmony, and for us to all agree to the same rules. But unfortunately there are people out there that really want to destroy us, for reasons that stand against everything we believe in. No amount of love and peace, no amount of solidarity, as important as those things are, will convince these thugs to put down their swords.

If you want to stand up for liberal Muslims, as do I (as I want to stand up for any innocent person), pay them the courtesy of admitting the bad stuff in their religion and recognise that they have used their own morals and intelligence to overcome them. Better yet, question them about their beliefs in a friendly manner before labeling them. Perhaps they hold some progressive ideas, perhaps they don't. Labels are useful, but they can also be a hindrance. The world would be a much better place if religion, or any topic, could be discussed without fear of reprisal, where a person's beliefs are not sacrosanct. Even better if liberal Muslims and 'lefties' could admit where Islamic terrorists get their ideologies from. But, for the most part, unfortunately we don't live in that world (yet).

Obfuscating the bad stuff will not help in the long run, because it will be like trying to pin jelly to a tree; we will be perpetually confused about Islamic terrorism. Let's just have an honest discussion, sans political correctness. (And if you're still uneasy about the connection between Islam and terror, ask yourself why we aren't talking about the Mormons, Jains or Buddhists. And if THAT still doesn't hit home, compare Islam's holy books and central message with just about any other religion.)
  13. The Ansbach attack looks like it was carried out by a "grey wolf" not by a sleeper. Those potential attackers that are not directed but inspired by IS seem to be the most imminent danger right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Those potential attackers that are not directed but inspired by IS seem to be the most imminent danger right now.

To the west, yes. And that's the point: it's a war of ideas. This is why we need to apply pressure to those ideas.
  14. Yeah, but how do we do it without alienating the decent majority? I repeat my question, as you haven't really answered that in the long post. If we don't want to obfuscate what's wrong with Islam, how do we point out that we aren't at war with its believers wholesale?

Since we are dealing with a very specific set of ideas that goes deeply into a person's emotional core. How do we criticize the wrong without going through a war of identities? If someone calls themselves a Muslim, that's part of their personal identity. They regard it as a part of who they are. This is where the propaganda gets dangerous for everyone involved. To the people who are disenfranchised or at least feel they are their identities are in danger (by mere mockery sometimes, but let's also consider the fact, I'll admit it freely, that we are dealing with perceived threat vs. real threat; terrorist recruiters are great at building a sense of paranoia in an individual, making a Joker-like pun from The Dark Knight, the recruiters are blowing it out of proportion), this is the selling point of IS and organizations alike.

It's understandable that this is one moment where we are trying to look at the big picture (the set of ideas, as you call it), but we seem to forget that we are looking at individuals who perform these acts and individuals who aren't necessarily (or at least weren't for a time) psychotic, crazy and something like that. They may not have to be necessarily sociopathic/psychopathic either.

What would a viable counterpropaganda be in these times? How do we actually make moderates speak up against it if we got to the point where they may be very well tired of constantly pointing out (not necessarily in public, but socially) that they never had the personal intent to, say, massacre Charile Hebdo even if the caricatures pissed them off?
  15. About 25 percent of my students are Muslim. Roughly halve of them are practising their religion. Those latter ones have a limited understanding of democracy. A system that demands them to suffer the existence of certain caricatures, that doesn't prevent right wing parties from getting into parliament, in their view doesn't work. Especially those of Turkish decent very carefully retain their own national identity. Being German is something inferior. (They don't see how very German in many regards they actually are.) They feel in union with the world wide sunni community and they feel that the West is at war with the ummah.
    As a teacher I have learned no to show false tolerance but to insist very strictly on the values of western liberal democracy. To go against all sorts of conspiracy theories and to uphold the values of secularism. This can lead to conflict. But such is life.

Volker