• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Caliburn wrote
    Our liberals probably got a boost in votes because of the Turkish incident on the last minute. As a Greenie I am not that happy with the result but it could have been far worse. I was convinced Wilders would win big time, and I am very happy that I was wrong.

But I am not that big in politics, I like film music more :-)

Your Greens did really well, I thought! 4 seats up to 14? I'd be happy with that. Indeed I am, since I always vote Green over in Germany.

Not sure what happened to your Labor Party, though...
  2. Exactly one year after a terrorist attack in Brussels, it has now happened in London.

Will it ever end? sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    An attack near the cradle of modern democracy. Damned. slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited
    And now someone apparently tried to do the same in Belgium -- AGAIN!

What's this new horrible trend of ramming vehicles into crowds?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It's an easy way to be deadly without having to get your hands on illegal weapons or explosives, I guess. And damned near impossible to prevent or see coming. slant

Good to see that the police apparently nipped this one in the bud before any serious damage or injuries could happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    It's not a trend so much as an IS-suggested and endorsed way in Dabiq (the glossy IS put our irregularly, which is downloaded tens of thousands of times in any given country) to disrupt western life and cause fatalities with the least amount of trouble.

So.
    Expect some more instances.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    Martijn, are you suggesting these attacks are ideologically motivated? That's crazy! These are just mundane acts by your generic psychopaths. Stop spreading hatred, you Nazi!

Ahem.
  4. You know what scares me the most?

It's impossible to stop the current trend. Terrorism has become a part of our everyday life. We can only sit by and await the next one. The only thing that will change is the number of victims in each attack.

Eradicating IS will only provide motivation for the next batch of monstrous fanatics to continue the killing of innocents in the name of God.

Man how I fucking hate religion and how it's abused in every possible way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. I don't think that terrorism has become part of our everyday life. Groups such as IS would like us to feel that way but we must not get into feeling this.

We'll be in London for a few days in a couple of weeks and we can't be apprehensive about the visit because that would mean that we are being influenced by these people.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Yeah, that's what everyone keeps saying. We won't let ourselves be afraid to live our lives and be influenced by terrorist threats. But something has definitely changed. Our inability to stop these terrorists. There are already thousands more waiting, kids being brainwashed and trained as we speak.

The global connectivity (internet / cellphones / social media) has also made it much easier for these bastards to communicate and to plan.

All that didn't exist 20-25 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Martijn, are you suggesting these attacks are ideologically motivated? That's crazy! These are just mundane acts by your generic psychopaths. Stop spreading hatred, you Nazi!

Ahem.

They are lovely bearded people full of love wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fill the streets with armed police. Unfortunate but seems to be the only solution to limit these things down. And tighten controls everywhere which is already happening, and of course big brother nation real time video monitoring of everything. Kiss privacy (well at least the last few remaining bits of it) goodbye, but it's the only way we are ever going to feel secure again, with these nutjobs around. Although I have to agree that with the cars and all now, each time we cut them one way or means down, they still find new imaginative means to cause harm. Their imagination is wild and sick.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Talking about what's actually in their holy books would be a start. But of course that would be Islamophobic.
  7. Criticizing the tenets of the religion is not Islamophobic; assuming that every single follower of the religion will adhere to those tenets in an ISIS-like manner is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Talking about what's actually in their holy books would be a start. But of course that would be Islamophobic.

All written by Hans Christian Anderson I believe.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017 edited
    We waste time with #NotAllMuslims talk. Of course not all Muslims, for the same reason most Christians ignore Leviticus. But it needs to become acceptable in mainstream discourse to discuss where these ideas are coming from, why they're so attractive, and empower those very few progressive Muslims (and ex-muslims) who are honest and brave enough to admit the dangerous ideology waiting to be plucked from Islam.

The first step is to talk about the life of Muhammad, the 'ideal man'.
  8. As long as we still have politicians running on platforms to block all Muslim refugees from entering their country, then no, not all Muslims talk is clearly not wasted time. Subscribing to a shitty ideology does not (necessarily) make you a shitty person. I'll gladly criticize Islam, Christianity and any other backwards-thinking religion or belief system that causes harm, holds back society, goes against human rights and sows the kind of division we're seeing around the world. But unless you have concrete evidence that any given person subscribes to that sort of thought, they're innocent until proven guilty. That applies to Muslims too.
  9. The thing is that enlightenment will have to take hold from within the Islamic community. As for now there is far too much false tolerance for radical views even by those who do not hold those views themselves.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    As long as we still have politicians running on platforms to block all Muslim refugees from entering their country, then no, not all Muslims talk is clearly not wasted time. Subscribing to a shitty ideology does not (necessarily) make you a shitty person. I'll gladly criticize Islam, Christianity and any other backwards-thinking religion or belief system that causes harm, holds back society, goes against human rights and sows the kind of division we're seeing around the world. But unless you have concrete evidence that any given person subscribes to that sort of thought, they're innocent until proven guilty. That applies to Muslims too.

Agreed, for the most part. Where we waste time with the #NotAllMuslims trope, or where it becomes a hindrance, is when it's flung at those who aren't being bigoted and are simply pointing out the obvious where Islam is concerned. It's often used to obfuscate core issues (like, say, the belief in martyrdom, and the rewards one reaps in the hereafter) in the name of political correctness and virtue signalling, rather than a thoughtful reaction to a complex and pervasive problem.

If for example I were to say "A worryingly large portion of Muslims believe that women should be stoned for adultery as a direct precept of their religion", and someone replies with not all Muslims, that doesn't help.
  10. And now Stockholm, Sweden.

It's one european country after another.
  11. Yes, apparently things in, say, Syria are super peaceful right now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017
    Well, that's alright then. Let the trucks plow away into bystanders! slant

(Sometimes putting things into perspective may seem...forced).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. I just find Gilles saying "It's one european country after another" to be a bit disingenuous. Yes, it's awful that these things happen here from time to time, but the way people react you'd think we were the ones in a war zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2017
    Yeah, but that's about as pointles as countering 'I'm hungry' with 'only in Sudan they know real hunger'. While not untrue it's pointless as there is is simply no impact on your personal frame of reference: knowing there is hunger in another part of tge world won't diminish your own.

Yeah, there's heavily armed conflict going on in Syria (and in Kurdistan, and Kashmir, and Congo, and Mexico) , but that does nothing to counter the very real fact that the equilibrium in Europe has been massively impacted by Islamic terrorism, and that countries that THOUGHT having left religious violence behind them for decades (or even centuries) are now pulled back into that darkest of quagmires.
  13. I agree with Martijn here. As s matter of fact I am astonished (and relieved) that there isn't much more of a right wing uproar throughout Europe already. I hope this is due mostly to reason and resolve, not to resignation. I for one plan to buy a Europe flag these days and take part in one of those Pulse of Europe Sunday strolls.

smile Volker
  14. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I just find Gilles saying "It's one european country after another" to be a bit disingenuous. Yes, it's awful that these things happen here from time to time, but the way people react you'd think we were the ones in a war zone.

I am fully aware of the war going on in Syria. It's horrible and the atrocities have been going on for too many years now.

And I was of course referring to these types of attacks of which there have been plenty in European countries.
    And since most here are living in one or other european country, well that's why it's relevant I should say.

I had to look up the word disingenuous. Not agreeing that I was being dishonest. Merely stating an observation.
  15. Good to see a display of common sense from France tonight, even if the outcome was never really in that much doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017
    I don't know if it is common sense. When you see that the amount of people not voting or voting blanc/invalid is higher than ever before, and lots of votes are against Le Pen because there was nothing better. Macron has a really difficult job. I hope the party, probably the left, doesn't make it difficult for him, because in 5 years this could go badly again.
    Kazoo
  16. I agree with Bregt. Macron will need to score in the upcoming general elections. And Berlin will have to rethink it's European politics to some extend if they want to support Macron.
    (I just found out that "macron" is an English word.) smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017
    It at least sends a message that populism isn't as popular as populists want it to be. I admit I was a scared to look at the news this morning, but am relieved to hear the good news (for once). I certainly ain't sticking around in Britain for long; Brexit can go to hell. slant