• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I just got a one week ban from JWFan for making references to the war, even though the mods recently stated this to be allowed if you don't take sides (which I didn't). Their moderation is as inconsistent as the Russian army is disorganized.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2022 edited
    What was the thread/comment? All the Ukraine-related posts have been moved into a closed thread in the off-topic forum.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I believe it was in the Vienna thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2022
    OK. Seems to have been deleted.

Either way, take the one-week ban as a badge of honour! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. What annoys me is their inconsistency regarding moderation of politics. They're not able to understand the implications of their own rules regarding what's allowed and not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2022
    True.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'm not saying this is a world event (at least not like the war in Ukraine), but it has everyone talking about it: The Will Smith incident at the Oscars

My opinion

This is a bad reaction, he should have handled it better. BUT it's always the reaction people criticize, not the action. Chris Rock is more to blame than Will Smith. You do not attack (bully) someone for a disease. Especially if the person is already affected by it mentally (according to previous interviews it affected her, something I can relate to). It wouldn't be the first time someone who is bullied for some thing to kill themselves because they can't handle the bullying anymore. Smith reacted poorly but sometimes it's the only way to stop a bully. I say: man you got some balls there. For the entire world.

Curious to see how this will hurt his career.
    But something tells me: Rock will not do this again (especially considering it's already his 2nd time)

So how poorly the reaction is, I'm Team Smith. Meaning Chris Rock wasn't bleeding or didn't brake something. Hopefully he learns something out of it, the both of them
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. If Will was smart, he would have sat down without saying anything after the slap. This way he would have gotten his revenge on Rock without completely ruining the mood - the audience would have been wondering whether it was part of the show or not.
  6. If Smith hadn't have been up for an Oscar he wouldn't have been sat so close to the stage. The greater distance away might have put him off going up on stage, his temper may have defused by the time he had gotten to the stage, or someone might have had the chance to stop him.

I agree that no one should derive humour from someone else's issues and if few people respond to such attacks then they will continue. But, that doesn't excuse the violence Smith used. Not sure there will be consequences to the careers of either person.

But, the Academy must be thinking it is great for their awards - a lot of people are now talking about it who wouldn't have mentioned it. And people may tune in next year for any potential fisticuffs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. And did Hans Zimmer really accept his Oscar in his pyjamas/bathrobe? (I haven't seen any of it.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Jurassic Shark wrote
    If Will was smart, he would have sat down without saying anything after the slap. This way he would have gotten his revenge on Rock without completely ruining the mood - the audience would have been wondering whether it was part of the show or not.

Perhaps, or mentioning it differently (by pushing it towards the disease topic)
    Again, the only way to stop a bully is to ridicule him. Put him at his place. He did that by slapping him for the entire world. The more I think about it, the more I say, this is what great leaders do. Like Biden did telling Putin off for the whole world he's a butcher. The White House doesn't appreciate this, but it's the truth nobody wants to say instead.

And there's a saying

Actions speak louder than words.

Ah, let's hope they both learn from it. Anyone makes mistakes.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    And did Hans Zimmer really accept his Oscar in his pyjamas/bathrobe? (I haven't seen any of it.)

apparently yes :p
    Haven't seen anything either, just read and saw the pictures.

But thanks to the Oscars for at least picking music ... no wait. Not this year.
    Nothing against Zimmer, but there are 50 better examples of him that deserved an Oscar instead.
    Dune is just getting its buzz cause of the film's reception (which again I don't get either)
  10. It's a bit disrespectful on Zimmer’s part not to make an effort knowing full well that he was likely to win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2022 edited
    Zimmer was in Amsterdam on tour, and it was the middle of the night after an exhausting concert. He got up because his daughter woke him. I think that's perfectly understandable. I'm very glad DUNE won; the only one that deserved it of the otherwise boring nominees, and my second favourite score of 2021.

As for the Smith/Rock incident, there's no doubt that Rock's joke was insensitive and tasteless (even if Jada has been very open and self-deprecative about her hair illness). But it does in no way excuse what Smith did. And that very awkward, rambling speech he gave when he won his award didn't make it better. He clearly has some mental issues at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2022
    RE: Will Smith. Chris Rock told an inappropriate joke. Having said how many bald people have been made fun of over the years and decades? Where does comedy draw the line? And before anyone jumps down my throat about Jada's condition, I know what's she going through. A very close member of my family is going through the exact same thing.

Anyway, comedy is full of comedians either making fun of themselves, making fun of uncomfortable situations or making fun of other people. It's what they do. Sometimes jokes land sometimes they don't. The nominees in the audience have been ridiculed since the Oscars began having comedians as hosts or presenters. Personally, I don't think anyone is out of bounds when it comes to comedy.

BTW, if anyone has watched GI Jane, Demi Moore's character is an incredibly strong woman.

Having said that, what Rock did was no excuse for Smith to go up on stage and slap the shit out of him. Smith assaulting Rock looks extremely bad on Smith. Instead of cancel culture Twitter calling out Rock, it's Smith's stupid response that is getting called out... and rightfully so.

Smith could have handled this much better. His protest could have been done with some class that would have left a far more positive, lasting impression. Smith could have walked up on stage, grabbed the mic, turned around and explain to the audience and the millions watching why what Rock said was inappropriate. He could have told Rock to knock it off and do better. Smith being a class act would have stung more than that classless, gutless slap to the face. BTW, kudos to Rock for taking it and not batting an eyelash.

And Smith's ridiculous speech after winning the Oscar was the icing on the cake.

What an absolute shit show!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Dune is just getting its buzz cause of the film's reception (which again I don't get either)

Almost every winner of the music Oscar is because of the film's success and not on the merits of the score.

If Star Wars was a flop, Williams wouldn't have won.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Almost every winner of the music Oscar is because of the film's success and not on the merits of the score.

If Star Wars was a flop, Williams wouldn't have won.

-Erik-

And that's where I find we do something alright with the IFMCA wink
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    RE: Will Smith. Chris Rock told an inappropriate joke. Having said how many bald people have been made fun of over the years and decades? Where does comedy draw the line? And before anyone jumps down my throat about Jada's condition, I know what's she going through. A very close member of my family is going through the exact same thing.

Anyway, comedy is full of comedians either making fun of themselves, making fun of uncomfortable situations or making fun of other people. It's what they do. Sometimes jokes land sometimes they don't. The nominees in the audience have been ridiculed since the Oscars began having comedians as hosts or presenters. Personally, I don't think anyone is out of bounds when it comes to comedy.

BTW, if anyone has watched GI Jane, Demi Moore's character is an incredibly strong woman.

Having said that, what Rock did was no excuse for Smith to go up on stage and slap the shit out of him. Smith assaulting Rock looks extremely bad on Smith. Instead of cancel culture Twitter calling out Rock, it's Smith's stupid response that is getting called out... and rightfully so.

Smith could have handled this much better. His protest could have been done with some class that would have left a far more positive, lasting impression. Smith could have walked up on stage, grabbed the mic, turned around and explain to the audience and the millions watching why what Rock said was inappropriate. He could have told Rock to knock it off and do better. Smith being a class act would have stung more than that classless, gutless slap to the face. BTW, kudos to Rock for taking it and not batting an eyelash.

And Smith's ridiculous speech after winning the Oscar was the icing on the cake.

What an absolute shit show!

-Erik-

It surely shows the world is divided, people are pro and contra on this all day.
    I hope your family member gets the strength from her family and friends, might feel personal for her as well this remark from Rock. Somehow I feel (my opinion) Smith defended other people too. That's the way I see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2022 edited
    Two terrible events in a row, both targeted at the liberties of women and LGBTQs.

First, the abortion law in the US. And now, a mass shooting right here in Oslo, targeted at gays preparing for Pride festivities today. I was actually invited downtown last night, right where the shooting happened, but had to decline because I was all knackered after having moved back into my apartment. The randomness of it all. My thoughts go out to all affected parties. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  13. It's again unreal to hear, horrible things really happen all the time everywhere and it can happen right next to where you live. Stay safe everyone, but try to enjoy life. It's already so incredible dark and bleak, cherish the little things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2022
    Thor wrote
    Two terrible events in a row, both targeted at the liberties of women and LGBTQs.

First, the abortion law in the US. And now, a mass shooting right here in Oslo, targeted at gays preparing for Pride festivities today. I was actually invited downtown last night, right where the shooting happened, but had to decline because I was all knackered after having moved back into my apartment. The randomness of it all. My thoughts go out to all affected parties. sad

I just heard about the shooting in Oslo. Terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2022 edited
    Thor wrote

Both frightening events indeed. The values and progress we have made, can be rolled back in a moment it seems. Never it is for granted. We'll have to protect them much harder.

How's the atmosphere in Olso Thor? What is happening?

Here in Belgium, the extreme right party did confirm their stance on abortion; that it is only for women in danger or after rape. They might become the largest in the next election. Lucky there's no one wanting to work with them but the pressure is there.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2022
    Yes, I don't like the rise of the far right in what used to be normal, reasonable Western European social democracies. We've seen similar tendencies in Norway too, so it's not only Belgium.

Right now, the mood here is somewhat dour, but I haven't really been out and about much in the last few days (the weather is very bad, with thunder, humidity and torrents of rain). However, it's been heartwarming to watch the news to see the community coming together now, with flowers, parades and support. Much like what happened after the terrorist attacks in 2011.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2022
    Turkey annoys me. Now Erdogan threatens to boycott Swedish and Finnish membership in NATO again. I mean, I've enjoyed my trips there (one to Alanya, a charter trip, and another to Istanbul for 24 hours while flying back from Tanzania), but they need to do something with their leadership.
    I am extremely serious.