• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    Cailin, I completely forgot you created this thread.

"Techno" is a wide term, and there are all kinds of sub categories, but if we keep out synthwave for the moment, here are some great recommendations (the techno bit may only appear in certain tracks):

THE NEON DEMON
    BLEEDING EDGE
    FIGHT CLUB
    DROKK
    THE RACER
    CHAPPIE
    AD VITAM
    LES BRACELETS ROUGES
    WHITE LINES
    ZOMBIELARS
    DRYADS - GIRLS DON'T CRY
    EVENT HORIZON
    NUIT BLANCHE
    PUSHER
    BERLIN CALLING
    ZURDO
    IRREPROCHABLE
    L'HEURE DE LA SORTIE
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I always enjoy watching Tyler's multi-instrument videos.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Has anyone tried Trevor Jones' Chaos? It has some nice bits.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Has anyone tried Trevor Jones' Chaos? It has some nice bits.

I haven't, no. Thanks for the tip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021 edited
    Of the above mentioned scores, I did like the ‘techno’ element. I don’t really stomach techno on its own, but when it’s combined with an orchestra and melodic core, I quite enjoy the extra kick or rhythm it gives to the music. Especially in Kamen’s Event Horizon I love how Kamen’s disturbing (avant- gardish) use of the orchestra and voices (breathing) is combined with Orbital’s main theme.

I don’t really know where to identify the ‘techno’ elements in Martinez’ The Neon Demon though? Isn’t that more electro? Or are you referring to Julian Winding’s Demon Dance?

Also, would Juno Reactor’s contributions to The Matrix Reloaded count, in especially Mona Lisa Overdrive? I think that was the first time I felt ‘cool’ listening to film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021 edited
    BobdH wroteI don’t really know where to identify the ‘techno’ elements in Martinez’ The Neon Demon though? Isn’t that more electro? Or are you referring to Julian Winding’s Demon Dance?

Yes, I consider Julian Winding's "The Demon Dance", as well as a few tidbits in Martinez' score, dark/minimal techno.

Also, would Juno Reactor’s contributions to The Matrix Reloaded count, in especially Mona Lisa Overdrive? I think that was the first time I felt ‘cool’ listening to film music.

That would fall more into the category of psytrance/goa. But yes -- awesome score, and genius "casting" of artist.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. That's quite the long list Thor! I'm going to be curious to hear what some of the differences are between them. Got a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited for the next few months, so will see which ones are available on that platform. Thanks for taking the time to list some of the ones that came to mind for you, excited to find some new ones to love.

Pawel, I'm going to listen to the ones you mentioned by Trevor Jones first today, thanks for that.

Bob, I might attempt Event Horizon, but the movie gave me nightmares as a teen, so not sure I'm willing to go back there, lol. But I'm sure it's a well crafted score!

I guess my request for techno-esque scores, is that I really enjoy electronics-with-orchestra, but I don't like it to sound too retro (or too 80s). Sometime scores with electronics can sound a bit digitized and dated to me, like old video game music, which I don't care for. Thanks for these leads, friends!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Bob, I might attempt Event Horizon, but the movie gave me nightmares as a teen, so not sure I'm willing to go back there, lol. But I'm sure it's a well crafted score!

Hey, make no mistake, this is one creepy score! So if that’s not your thing, I completely understand and you should probably not check it out smile. Besides, I just found out this one is not available on the regular streaming services so I wouldn’t go out of my way to obtain it if scary scores aren’t really your thing, good as it is within that genre smile.
  4. Thanks for the warning, lol! Yeah, I think I might skip it for now. But if I do come across it sometime, I might dabble in a few tracks and can let you know my first impressions. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I guess my request for techno-esque scores, is that I really enjoy electronics-with-orchestra,

Ah, well then the selections on my list may not be for you. Not a lot of orchestra in most of them. They're more "purified" techno-esque scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'm going to listen to yours next Thor. I think I will like them, because I do like techno! My favorite tracks from the Chaos score Pawel recommended were the most "techno" of the tracks. Will let you know after I listen a little more, which ones were my favorites! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I'm going to listen to yours next Thor. I think I will like them, because I do like techno! My favorite tracks from the Chaos score Pawel recommended were the most "techno" of the tracks. Will let you know after I listen a little more, which ones were my favorites! smile

Looking forward to it. Incidentally, I did a podcast episode a few years ago about DJs and electronica artists doing film music. It's in Norwegian, but you can scroll past the dialogue for the music clips, if you're interested:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … ilmmusikk/

In other words, you can use it kinda like a playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, listening to Jones' CHAOS too now, on Spotify. It sounds like a cross between Arnold's JAMES BOND music and Powell's BOURNE stuff. Some good, some rather bland. But I'm surprised I wasn't familiar with this; I like to call myself a big Jones fan and have a pretty sizeable collection of him.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. For a long time CHAOS wasn't available so it would have been difficult to listen to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see Jones collaborated with someone called Ian Green, presumably for the more electronic parts. I have no idea who that is, but googling came up with a few items. Nothing remarkable, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor, could you please add the composers to your list of techno scores? I'm having a hard time finding them on Amazon Music Unlimited by title alone. Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021 edited
    Thought I’d help Thor out a bit smile

THE NEON DEMON - Cliff Martinez
    BLEEDING EDGE - ?
    FIGHT CLUB - Dust Brothers
    DROKK - ?
    THE RACER - Hannes de Maeyer
    CHAPPIE - Hans Zimmer
    AD VITAM - ?
    LES BRACELETS ROUGES - ?
    WHITE LINES - Junkie XL
    ZOMBIELARS - John Erik Kaada
    DRYADS - GIRLS DON'T CRY - Marius Christiansen
    EVENT HORIZON - Michael Kamen ft Orbital
    NUIT BLANCHE - ?
    PUSHER - Povl Kristian
    BERLIN CALLING - ?
    ZURDO - ?
    IRREPROCHABLE - ?
    L'HEURE DE LA SORTIE - ?

Weren’t able to find as much as I’d hoped. Question marks mostly mean there were multiple films/tv-series with the same title and I don’t know which one Thor meant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Thor, could you please add the composers to your list of techno scores? I'm having a hard time finding them on Amazon Music Unlimited by title alone. Thank you!

Sure.

THE NEON DEMON -- Cliff Martinez/Julian Winding
    BLEEDING EDGE -- David Garcia Diaz & Jamie Molloy
    FIGHT CLUB -- The Dust Brothers
    DROKK -- Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow
    THE RACER -- Hannes De Maeyer
    CHAPPIE -- Hans Zimmer & Steve Mazarro
    AD VITAM -- HitnRun
    LES BRACELETS ROUGES -- HitnRun
    WHITE LINES -- Tom Holkenborg
    ZOMBIELARS -- Kaada
    DRYADS - GIRLS DON'T CRY -- Marius Christiansen (I don't believe this has been released, actually)
    EVENT HORIZON -- Michael Kamen & Orbital
    NUIT BLANCHE -- Nicolas Errera
    PUSHER -- Orbital
    BERLIN CALLING -- Paul Kalkbrenner
    ZURDO -- Paul van Dyk
    IRREPROCHABLE -- Zombie Zombie
    L'HEURE DE LA SORTIE -- Zombie Zombie

Oh, and I just remembered another. SWORDFISH -- Paul Oakenfold (be sure not to confuse it with the Young score album). The titles in my podast about DJs have the composer names attached.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thanks to you both! The only movies I've seen or heard of on this list are Chappie, Fight Club and Event Horizon (which you already know I'm skipping). So, I've started with those. CHAPPIE, gosh, I was SO bored. Is it just me? It just wasn't very interesting. Enjoying FIGHT CLUB though, I like that is has so much variety and a little funk. Now to search for the others now that I have names to combine them with. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not expecting you to like ANY of these, so any positive feedback is a bonus. I love CHAPPIE, but not all of the tracks -- mostly those tracks with a steady techno beat or where they go all "Vangelis".
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I wonder why you think I won't like any of them? Certainly some are just more appealing than others based on personal preferences. CHAPPIE just sounded too atmospheric for me, which is not really my thing. But I've liked the "techno" sound since I first heard it in the film Blade. You know the one, in the rave scene. Still such a great song. It peaked my interest immediately, but since I rarely listen to anything else other than film music, my exposure to that kind of music has been limited. smile So when it appears is film scores, it's so much fun and I think it's awesome! It has to have a beat that makes you want to move a little though. When it's just the more atmosphere/sound design technique, I just don't enjoy it as much. Excited to listen to more of these!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Shouldn’t NERVE by Rob Simonsen also be included?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I wonder why you think I won't like any of them?

It was just a hunch from your previous descriptions of what you prefer and don't prefer. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Shouldn’t NERVE by Rob Simonsen also be included?

That's good ol' synthwave. But an amazing score -- my top favourite that year, in fact.

Here's my earlier thread on synthwave scores:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_5
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021
    Ah okay, goes to show I don’t really know that much about the topic to be able to separate them smile.