• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    NP: Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

A brilliant score that takes you on a wondrous journey through fantasy land! IMHO, this is one of Goldsmith most challenging and creative works. It's like nothing I've ever heard before. The album has an easy going flow that leads to two truly magnificent epic cues that only Goldsmith could pull off. I love the songs ("My True Love's Eyes" is such a tender piece) and I love the synths (this score wouldn't be as good without them) It's a real shame that Ridley Scott treated this score so poorly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

A brilliant score that takes you on a wondrous journey through fantasy land!

-Erik-

Completly agree. it really captures a sense of fantasy that very few scores, if not any score, has ever done.

The synths works really great in the overture creating a really mysterious effect. The rest, you know, i don't like it but at least you notice how challenging this score was for Goldsmith.

Legend perhaps is not my most enjoyable Goldsmith score, but for sure It's one of the greates achivements in the movie music history and a great piece of art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Man, I didn't want Legend to end... sad So, let's play something from around that same era.

NP: Lionheart - Jerry Goldsmith

I have all three albums from this film... the two separate volumes of music and then the condensed single CD release. I'm currently playing a specially arranged film order version of the score sequences from tracks from the Vol 1 and Vol 2 releases.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I have words for Lionheart too tongue

It's my less favourite of Goldsmith epic scores. Not because for the synth, but because the joyful of some cues, the themes (except for the King Richard) and the action composition (wich was still too 70's for my ears).

Of course, It's still Goldsmith doing epic!!!
  1. NP: Alien 3 --- Elliot Goldenthal

Another treasure of Goldenthal that gets better through time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Alien 3 --- Elliot Goldenthal

Yeap I love this looooooooooooooong atmospheric track where nothing happens. tongue

NP:Final Destination 3d (tyler)

It's like listening nothing. I mean, you are hearing something, but one time finished nothing remains in your head, even not a headache.
  2. For some reason, telemarketers don't like listening to loud funky music when they call. Go figure. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jordi, did you get my emails? If so, can you reply?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

That's one of the best darker scores anyone can find in the genre; bloody brilliant!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WAR OF THE WORLDS - John Williams.

Talking about bloody brilliant dark scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    WAR OF THE WORLDS - John Williams.

Talking about bloody brilliant dark scores.

And what about Final Destination?:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mrs Winterbourne - Patrick Doyle

A lovely, summery score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner

One of the best purchases I made this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

That's one of the best darker scores anyone can find in the genre; bloody brilliant!

Though I think it's a superb score as regards the film I find it wears out it's welcome on CD, a fascinating listen mostly, rather than an enjoyable listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Though I think it's a superb score as regards the film I find it wears out it's welcome on CD, a fascinating listen mostly, rather than an enjoyable listen.

Yeap! I guess it's diferent from hornerisms tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No shit Kojak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Miklós Rózsa at M-G-M ***

Almost 160 minutes of lush Rózsa scores. Ye Gods. I haven't even finished playing #1, but it already sounds the same, with the different scores blending into each other quite smoothly. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Probably a controversial opinion, but one with which I agree. I absolutely adore Goldenthal but for whatever reason have never quite been able to get into Alien 3 as I can most of his other scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ChrK wrote
    Miklós Rózsa at M-G-M ***

Almost 160 minutes of lush Rózsa scores. Ye Gods. I haven't even finished playing #1, but it already sounds the same, with the different scores blending into each other quite smoothly. sleep

Not sure if you liked it or not?!

What is interesting about that release is most of the scores represented didn't have a soundtrack release at the time. Now, most do!

IMHO, The MGM Rozsa set is superb and great for anyone who has yet to experience the brilliance of Rozsa's music.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

A brilliant score that takes you on a wondrous journey through fantasy land! IMHO, this is one of Goldsmith most challenging and creative works. It's like nothing I've ever heard before. The album has an easy going flow that leads to two truly magnificent epic cues that only Goldsmith could pull off. I love the songs ("My True Love's Eyes" is such a tender piece) and I love the synths (this score wouldn't be as good without them) It's a really shame that Ridley Scott treated this score so poorly.

-Erik-

I actually saw the film on it's release, complete with Goldsmith's score, the film is a visual treat if not very good, I was transported out of the film as soon as I heard a cue from Psycho II rolleyes

Despite a European release retaining Jerry's score, everytime this has been shown on TV it's been with Tangerine Dream score slant

Except for the odd synth blimp ( a conversation done to death now ) I love every track on this expanded album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Oh, I don't knock Rózsa as one of the best film composers there ever have been, Erik. It's simply that, apart from (say) El Cid or King of Kings, I never really warm up to his lushly orchestrated style and/or harmonic language. For me, it's too interchangeable (yes, even Ben-Hur).

There's the long-standing quip about Rózsa that he often did very thorough research before starting writing basically the same score over and over. I know that's too much of a generalisation, but it goes in the direction of how I feel about MR scores.

That said, I like King of Kings very much and positively adore El Cid.

CK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    CK????

Calvin Klein? or...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    CK????

Calvin Klein? or...

FAIL!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Air Force One Jerry Goldsmith & Joel McNeely

Satisfies my need for Goldsmith action scoring (and the added bonus of McNeely's action scoring). Give me this over [the brilliant] Total Recall any day.
  3. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Probably a controversial opinion, but one with which I agree. I absolutely adore Goldenthal but for whatever reason have never quite been able to get into Alien 3 as I can most of his other scores.

that's because his atonal stuff here is stronger / louder than I've heard yet in other scores
    still, fits the movie like a glove
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    N.P. JOHN WILLIAMS' Jurrassic park

Modern symphonic scoring at its best, plus it contains one of the most beautiful themes he's ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lust Caution (Desplat)

Sensual, Hipnotic, beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Modern symphonic scoring at its best, plus it contains one of the most beautiful themes he's ever written.

Make that 2: "opening titles" and "journey to the island"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

This is one of my favourites. It's in my Williams top three, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

This is one of my favourites. It's in my Williams top three, I think.

I concur.

N.p. JOHN WILLIAMS - memoirs of a Geisha.

A heartfelt modern gem, led by incredibly beautiful cello soli singing such a theme only Williams and few other composers are able to deliver.