• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    This is one of my favourites. It's in my Williams top three, I think.

I concur.

N.p. JOHN WILLIAMS - memoirs of a Geisha.

A heartfelt modern gem, led by incredibly beautiful cello soli singing such a theme only Williams and few other composers are able to deliver.

Another Williams masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    N.P. JOHN WILLIAMS' Jurrassic park

Modern symphonic scoring at its best, plus it contains one of the most beautiful themes he's ever written.

Make that 2: "opening titles" and "journey to the island"

I know it's good but I rarely play it. Everytime I look at Jurassic Park I see LOST WORLD and that one wins every single time!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Down boy :indy:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Air Force One Jerry Goldsmith & Joel McNeely

Satisfies my need for Goldsmith action scoring (and the added bonus of McNeely's action scoring). Give me this over [the brilliant] Total Recall any day.

shocked

Actually I'm not shocked, to each his / her own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    First Blood - Jerry Goldsmith

Enough pussy-footing around. Time for the real thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONGO - Jerry Goldsmith

Very good. But not as good as The Ghost And The Darkness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

Not even near.

The "adventure" theme in some action cue is really powerful, and the main theme is beautiful but with too dosis of sacharine ala Horner.

Ghost and The Darkness is one of my favourite scores by Goldsmith.

NP:The 13th Warrior (Goldsmith)

The theme is a real killer, of course. But the majestousity is the best virtue of this score.

The textures, with the bells and the male chorus creates a real sense of danger.

I'm a vicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I really had a great discussion with myself about if I like most The Mummy or 13 warrior. I think the last one wone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    I commend you on using the proper plural form: soli instead of solos. yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not even near.

The "adventure" theme in some action cue is really powerful, and the main theme is beautiful but with too dosis of sacharine ala Horner.

Ghost and The Darkness is one of my favourite scores by Goldsmith.

NP:The 13th Warrior (Goldsmith)

The theme is a real killer, of course. But the majestousity is the best virtue of this score.

The textures, with the bells and the male chorus creates a real sense of danger.

I'm a vicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I really had a great discussion with myself about if I like most The Mummy or 13 warrior. I think the last one wone.

I'm a schizophrenic and so am I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Satisfies my need for Goldsmith action scoring (and the added bonus of McNeely's action scoring). Give me this over [the brilliant] Total Recall any day.

shocked

I'll always prefer MELODY. Total Recall main theme? Fuck yeah. 'The Mutant'? Fuck yeah. The rest? Brilliant. But I prefer Air Force One. There's far more melody and unashamed patriotism. I'm a sucker for all that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Steven is a man of unambiguity. I like that! smile
  1. Timmer wrote

I actually watched Congo for the first time in almost a decade the other day. Aside from realizing how off and on the acting was and that Bruce Campbell had a cameo, I was still loving the main theme from Goldsmith.

PLEASANTVILLE - Randy Newman

Still majestic and emotional at the right moments.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    First Blood - Jerry Goldsmith

Enough pussy-footing around. Time for the real thing.

Each step is only the beginning...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

I'll always prefer MELODY. Total Recall main theme? Fuck yeah. 'The Mutant'? Fuck yeah. The rest? Brilliant. But I prefer Air Force One. There's far more melody and unashamed patriotism. I'm a sucker for all that.

You hit the nail spot on the head.....'unashamed patriotism. Exactly why the harsh muscular brutality of Total Recall does it for me.

I'm not against patriotic music but the Americanised stuff does make me a little billious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, this explains a lot. (Though I always assumed this might be the case, especially since you've always been so turned off by ID4.)

I suppose it partly stems from me growing up with 'Americana' as we always had VHSs (those old things) of big Hollywood films when I was a child. So it sorta stuck with me and shaped part of my taste in film music. But mostly because I just love the spirit of it. Yeah, I hate it when Americans throw it in your face, but when it's presented in orchestral form, I get goosebumps.

But then of course I love British pomp and English 'pastoral' music equally as much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Congo - Jerry Goldsmith

I agree with my esteemed colleague above. I had the misfortune of watching the film once (the things I did for Jerry Goldsmith...) and even that can't make me stop enjoying the album.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Modern symphonic scoring at its best, plus it contains one of the most beautiful themes he's ever written.
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Make that 2: "opening titles" and "journey to the island"

This is one of my favourites. It's in my Williams top three, I think.

The Lost World all the way!

Do I have any followers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's an ambiguous yes and no from me (sorry Chris). No because the first one introduced one of cinema's greatest themes; yes because The Lost World makes for a more enjoyable album. Plus it has the theme at the end anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love The Lost World too but JP has the edge for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not as though there's a wrong answer, unless the question was "Jurassic Park or any Tyler score?"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think JP is a much better score in the movie than TLW, but on CD the former has dreadful arrangement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fortunately JP is quite easily rearranged by just moving the end credits to the end and removing the track called "end credits". A very odd arrangement as it stands though.

The Lost World did not hold up well in the film. Spielberg really messed around with the score - can't remember him doing that with any of JW's other scores for him.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Still, TLW is one of the few scores I'm dying to get a complete release of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

A heartfelt modern gem, led by incredibly beautiful cello soli singing such a theme only Williams and few other composers are able to deliver.

What other composers would you say? I'm struggling to think of any (though I'm sure they exist!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What other composers would you say? I'm struggling to think of any (though I'm sure they exist!).

Ennio Morricone. So there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whosat then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Desplat, Rombi, Yared come to mind. I am sure they're others too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Yeah, I reckon they could. I don't think I'd be even half as interested in their efforts as with Williams' score, purely as a personal preference, but I think they have ample technical ability for it (and I'd put my money on Yared as being the stronger of the three).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Desplat, Rombi, Yared come to mind. I am sure they're others too.

And Ennio.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.