• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. fommes wrote
    And yeah, it's obviously the inspiration for Police Squad, which, all things considered, is hardly surprising!

I'd never come across M Squad until recently and I was taken aback when I heard Count Basie's title theme and heard how like Newborn's Police Squad! theme it was!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    Ah well. Count Basie is not the worst source to borrow from. smile

NP: Music For The Doctor Who Audio Adventures - various artists

This is music for Big Finish Productions long run of Doctor Who audio adventures. A bit hit-and-miss, the series does feature the real attraction of actually casting the "real" doctors: Peter Davidson, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann reprise their roles as respectively the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th doctor (with the first two being the most enjoyable, and Sylvester McCoy being quite overbearingly patronising in most of the outings...).

The music, contrary to the actual TV series, seems to be a combination of electronic and acoustic instruments, sounding actually quite orchestral at most times. It's quite good incidental music, but -in keeping with the actual old TV shows- not very melodic, so it's not all that captivating.

The production is of a high quality but overall -with one or two exceptions (where, for example in the episode The Land Of the Dead a lot of faux Baroque tunes are employed)- it's better suited as a companion to the actual adventures than as a standalone listen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited
    Legends of the Fall - Horner

A classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Bad Boys (Mancina)

Man, I miss the old Media Ventures so much.....

There is 2 diferences between media ventures and remote control:

1-Media Ventures guys knew they was doing "guilty pleasures". Pure fun.
    2-The composers in Media Ventures was talented enought to compose main themes and powerful stuff.

While Bad Boys complete realease shows how weak this score really was, it still contains what is the top nocht Media Ventures track: "Bad boys main title /the heist"
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

First listen. Whoa. punk

And to think I used to think Giacchino was boring... rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I still prefer his game scores over anything he's done for film or TV (with the exception of his wonderful The Incredibles ...man, I should give that one a spin again! It's been too long.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Ransom - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this 70s action style of Goldsmith's. (Yesterday I listened to two of this score's spiritual successors, Capricorn One and Twilight's Last Gleaming.) But the sound quality is dreadful. I only have the Silva release - does anyone have the Prometheus one? If so - does that one sound any better?

I have the Prometheus, but not having heard the Silva it's hard to tell. The recording, just like it did on the original LP, still sounds harsh to me.

Darn good score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    2-The composers in Media Ventures was talented enought to compose main themes and powerful stuff.

Name me a single RC composer who has headlined a project who has not composed a decent main theme and/or something "powerful." Even the much-lambasted (and deservedly so) Ramin Djawadi has the incredible Beat the Drum to his name.

It's not that they lack talent, it's that they choose not to use it, for whatever retarded postmodern reasons rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Addicted to Now We Are Free today. What an energetic vocal performance creating a perfect and majestic aura of victory. Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    ironic, you always play my less favourite Zimmer scores tongue
  2. Scribe wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

First listen. Whoa. punk

And to think I used to think Giacchino was boring... rolleyes

I applaud you have changed your way of thinking. applause

Too bad Allied Assault counts only 5 tracks, but my version has the tracks from MOH and MOH:U in between. Just as it appears in the game. Like a sort of Best of MOH. Way too cool !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It was Lost that changed my mind. Tracks like Hurley's Handouts proved to me that he can write beautiful, emotional music - which is my favorite aspect of music in general. Then, once I started listening to Lost repeatedly, I developed a taste for Giacchino's overall style...his riveting, intense action music and his creative use of orchestra. Now I am completely addicted! His collection of phenomenal summer 2009 releases was the icing on the cake. If he does much more (i.e. a great, epic concluding season of Lost, or more MoH-style video game scores, or a bigger and better Star Trek 2) then Zimmer and Howard will be in danger of no longer being my favorite composers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Name me a single RC composer who has headlined a project who has not composed a decent main theme and/or something "powerful." Even the much-lambasted (and deservedly so) Ramin Djawadi has the incredible Beat the Drum to his name.

It's not that they lack talent, it's that they choose not to use it, for whatever retarded postmodern reasons rolleyes

Agree. They've all proven they can do some stuff properly, (at least most of them) but seem to have decided to blindly follow the director's wishes during the last 3-4 years, with easily done, impersonal and careless background music. That, or the bag of tricks has been emptied very quickly (as with Brian Tyler, for instance) . It's not that they're untalented, but maybe their talent is limited smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    It was Lost that changed my mind.
    Tracks like Hurley's Handouts proved to me that he can write beautiful, emotional music - which is my favorite aspect of music in general. Then, once I started listening to Lost repeatedly, I developed a taste for Giacchino's overall style...his riveting, intense action music and his creative use of orchestra. Now I am completely addicted! His collection of phenomenal summer 2009 releases was the icing on the cake. If he does much more (i.e. a great, epic concluding season of Lost, or more MoH-style video game scores, or a bigger and better Star Trek 2) then Zimmer and Howard will be in danger of no longer being my favorite composers!

Thank.you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Agree. They've all proven they can do some stuff properly, (at least most of them) but seem to have decided to blindly follow the director's wishes during the last 3-4 years, with easily done, impersonal and careless background music. That, or the bag of tricks has been emptied very quickly (as with Brian Tyler, for instance) . It's not that they're untalented, but maybe their talent is limited smile

Without insider knowledge of how much work Zimmer really does, it's difficult to say. For example, Atli has shown some promise on Babylon AD, but he's also had some really boring and uninspired scores, and even his work on Babylon AD is so similar in parts to Zimmer's work on Angels & Demons that it's practically impossible to tell who's rubbing off on who, who's really doing the work, who's really coming up with the ideas, etc.

You will not find me defending the choices of Zimmer & company as much these days, as now that I've significantly upgraded the quality of my listening equipment both at home and at work, I've learned to appreciate the works of more diverse composers...and conversely, learned to see how little meat there is behind the fatty, fried exterior of most RC scores. You won't even find me defending scores like HGW's Wolverine anymore...while I enjoy the score's theme and I have a fondness for HGW's sonic idiosyncrasies particularly when it comes to choir-work, I now recognize that there's nearly infinite room for improvement when it comes to the score as a whole!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I never thought you and me could agree so much smile Good points on the 1st paragraph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

Very beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

Very beautiful.

I have it on order, expensive since it's an import, can't wait to hear it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I never thought you and me could agree so much smile Good points on the 1st paragraph.

I can be very reasonable when I am in a reasonable frame of mind wink
  3. NP: Bananas - Marvin Hamlisch

Kritzerland's double-header CD arrived today and listening to this at the moment it's bringing back some funny memories. I've not seen Woody Allen's movie in years but the first couple of cues (including the main title song, "Quiero La Noche") are bringing a smile to my face.

Quiero La Noche
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    NP : OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ^

Good choice. I'm gonna go with:

NP: Playing By Heart - John Barry

Ready for bed, but this is perfect for the moment. Brilliant album.

cool
  4. Under Fire (Jerry Goldsmith)

A perfect morning listen! Brilliance on a small shiny disc !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    N:Speed (Mancina)

Wow...these days I'm listening so much of my earlier scores... When I didn't care about the orchestrations. I only needed electric guitars an addictive theme (well, In the present too tongue )

I love the original Godzilla's theme, but this 4 notes action motif is a real killer.

Mancina really had great years from 94 to 99. With blockbusters and intimate movies, and finishing with the highly popular Tarzan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    NP:Bird on a Wire (Zimmer)

What a mess. A real chaos.

If Zimmer didn't have experience with orchestra, I guess he has to start with something. But This score is terrible.

3 only good pieces: the love theme (wich was one of this themes that made me be a Scorefan) and "Air combat" (the fusion with guitars, electronics and orchestra) that we love from Zimmer and "Bank Robbery" (with crazy operistic vocals)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Prince Of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

Now this has some of the most powerful grand-scale choral material by Hans, Red Sea and the last half of Chariot Race are especially amazing. Would be nice if this too is eventually given a separate, more expanded CD release (I don't like it when score tracks continue into songs).
  5. Nautilus wrote

If Zimmer didn't have experience with orchestra, I guess he has to start with something. But This score is terrible.

3 only good pieces: the love theme (wich was one of this themes that made me be a Scorefan) and "Air combat" (the fusion with guitars, electronics and orchestra) that we love from Zimmer and "Bank Robbery" (with crazy operistic vocals)

Finally somebody echoes my sentiments about this score. And adding insult to injury - it was orchestrated by Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek, so? Zimmer's orchestration mistakes were his own, NOT his orchestrators' who merely based on the demos. Same for Backdraft.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    But Backdraft is great, I love it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Finally somebody echoes my sentiments about this score. And adding insult to injury - it was orchestrated by Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek, so? Zimmer's orchestration mistakes were his own, NOT his orchestrators' who merely based on the demos. Same for Backdraft.

Agree. Backdraft has some of this chaos in the action stuff too (specially in "burn it all", wich after the cool strings motif becomes a real chaos again). what makes the diference is in backdraft Zimmer was reallly good
    with the melody and his "tricks" (again, this strings kicks and crescendos) to hide his lack of experience with orchestra.
  6. keky wrote
    But Backdraft is great, I love it! punk

It is great, but I think in the softer parts in the middle there are some orchestrations, that aren't too good (I have problems with some of the flute writing for some reason). The setpieces are great though (also the bookending score tracks). The release is also very imperfect. One of my favorite pieces in the movie is missing, even if the buildup to that moment IS on the album!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website