• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Bird on a Wire (Zimmer)

What a mess. A real chaos.

If Zimmer didn't have experience with orchestra, I guess he has to start with something. But This score is terrible.

3 only good pieces: the love theme (wich was one of this themes that made me be a Scorefan) and "Air combat" (the fusion with guitars, electronics and orchestra) that we love from Zimmer and "Bank Robbery" (with crazy operistic vocals)

That score is terrible! That, and with some stuff like FACE/OFF or POINT BREAK you play from time to time, make me really admire your strength!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Addicted to Now We Are Free today. What an energetic vocal performance creating a perfect and majestic aura of victory. Amazing.

Best.Zimmer.Score.Ever (after The thin red line that is wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Addicted to Now We Are Free today. What an energetic vocal performance creating a perfect and majestic aura of victory. Amazing.

You mean after Backdraft!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'd say after Lion King and Prince of Egypt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

You mean after Backdraft!

-Erik-

Yes, he does! wink punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    ^

Good choice. I'm gonna go with:

NP: Playing By Heart - John Barry

Ready for bed, but this is perfect for the moment. Brilliant album.

cool

cool beer

Lee, I would seriously recommend John Barry's AMERICANS which is being released on Universal France on nov 9th, it's a non-film score album he recorded in 1976 and has never been released on CD before, jazzy and excellent, for me this is one of the years best releases.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

This score is so very...Goldsmithian smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If Zimmer didn't have experience with orchestra, I guess he has to start with something. But This score is terrible.

3 only good pieces: the love theme (wich was one of this themes that made me be a Scorefan) and "Air combat" (the fusion with guitars, electronics and orchestra) that we love from Zimmer and "Bank Robbery" (with crazy operistic vocals)

That score is terrible! That, and with some stuff like FACE/OFF or POINT BREAK you play from time to time, make me really admire your strength!

I never play face/off and I never heard Prision break outside the show. this is Marselus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    What's wrong with Face/Off? The action parts are standard 90s Media Ventures, but the melodic opening and closing tracks are great, especially with the childrens choir. There are many worse Zimmer and even Powell scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

I disagree. But first, I think that I would enjoy this score much more if the sound quality weren't so horrible. I mean, this is the best sounding release that I have and it's still mushy sometime. Score wise, it's extremely rambunctious and active. The main theme and love theme are extremely melodic and catchy. It's so memorable. One of best iteration of his early orchestral/pop writings. The orchestration is nicely rendered by Shirley Walker, and the sound is consistent with another score of that year, Pacific Heights, and the electronics were shared with Days of Thunder, too. Light shade of Backdraft peaks through from time to time, but there's a clear distinction between this and that pinnacle. The 1990s were a very interesting time for Hans, with so many interesting sounding score. Anyway, Bird on a Wire, not a mess, not a great score, but a really good entry in Hans' discography. It's hard for me to not like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    What's wrong with Face/Off? The action parts are standard 90s Media Ventures, but the melodic opening and closing tracks are great, especially with the childrens choir. There are many worse Zimmer and even Powell scores.

Yeah, what's wrong with Face/Off? It's a great score. Extremely thematic and diverse sounding. Even though it ascribed to the Zimmer sound at the time, it still managed to sound distinct with it's use of brass and action writing. Try to get a copy of the complete score too. So much good stuff that didn't get release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THUNDERBALL - John Barry

I have to skip some of the 'water music' stuff but this is still a corking Bond score and the action stuff is brilliant punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jasper - Florian Tessloff

Lovely music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

It sounds awfully cheap. Same as the majority of the RC output of that time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote

3 only good pieces: the love theme (wich was one of this themes that made me be a Scorefan)

and "Air combat" (the fusion with guitars, electronics and orchestra) that we love from Zimmer and "Bank Robbery" (with crazy operistic vocals)

I disagree. But first, I think that I would enjoy this score much more if the sound quality weren't so horrible. I mean, this is the best sounding release that I have and it's still mushy sometime. Score wise, it's extremely rambunctious and active. The main theme and love theme are extremely melodic and catchy. It's so memorable. One of best iteration of his early orchestral/pop writings. The orchestration is nicely rendered by Shirley Walker, and the sound is consistent with another score of that year, Pacific Heights, and the electronics were shared with Days of Thunder, too. Light shade of Backdraft peaks through from time to time, but there's a clear distinction between this and that pinnacle. The 1990s were a very interesting time for Hans, with so many interesting sounding score. Anyway, Bird on a Wire, not a mess, not a great score, but a really good entry in Hans' discography. It's hard for me to not like it.

Bird on a wire is lethally cheesy. Backdraft is brilliant, it's where Zimmer finally understood the art of turning cheese into a more serious whole wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I guess it'll surprise nobody that I agree with you. I really can barely stand it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer (Expanded Version)

Beautiful and exciting in every sense of the word(s) !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Southall wrote
    Jasper - Florian Tessloff

Lovely music.

really? I didn't like it that much
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Bird on a wire is lethally cheesy. Backdraft is brilliant, it's where Zimmer finally understood the art of turning cheese into a more serious whole wink

Can you repeat this , please? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bird on a wire = disgustingly cheesy
    Backdraft = serious cheese, very enjoyable wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

Theme and a half or what!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I will agree with you there. I used to not be able to tell the difference, with the speakers and headphones that I had...with cheap listening audio equipment and untrained ears, all you really hear is the basic melody and/or whichever instrument happens to be at the forefront of the recording.

...which is why RC scores are so successful in today's society...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I disagree completely. But whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I will agree with you there. I used to not be able to tell the difference, with the speakers and headphones that I had...with cheap listening audio equipment and untrained ears, all you really hear is the basic melody and/or whichever instrument happens to be at the forefront of the recording.

beer

lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Any other serious arguements in the vein of "whatever"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

So far, all i got is that you like serious cheese. I guess I don't mind cheese in general.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHERRY 2000 - Basil Poledouris

I like this a lot cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So far, all i got is that you like serious cheese. I guess I don't mind cheese in general.

Face/off is rough, raw, uncultivated, over the place, constantly changing musical phrases and little motifs here and there, over-excited and its sounds is very synthetic and cheap. There's synth music (Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis etc) who sound as good today as they did 20-30 years ago and there's simply cheap sound / music. Face/off is the latter.

Backdraft is fully developed, with properly long and expanded themes, actual balance of instruments in the orchestration department, balanced arrangements and has a beginning, a middle and and end. A logical musical continuity. Its sound is also very update, typical Zimmer but far from fake.

Anything else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

beer

lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Any other serious arguements in the vein of "whatever"?

Ummm, I wrote it already.

Yeah, what's wrong with Face/Off? It's a great score. Extremely thematic and diverse sounding. Even though it ascribed to the Zimmer sound at the time, it still managed to sound distinct with it's use of brass and action writing. Try to get a copy of the complete score too. So much good stuff that didn't get release.

I'll add that the dramatic cues and the use of themes in the score were handled so adeptly that it's amazing that anyone would utter the word "cheap". The variety in arrangement were noticeably. The action cues for the Dietrich's Loft sequence had verve, and vitality, and just sounds completely different than the MV standards at the time. You could hear a different compositional approach working through the MV methods while revising it for the better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Compare it with the brilliance of PAYCHECK and you'll see there's a huge difference. That's a proper Powell score and the best RC ever had to showcase.