• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Panthera wrote
    I like the Dragonball Evolution score a lot. I think it gets better the more times you listen to it.

NP: The Final Destination - Bryan Tyler

Recently I've become a Bryan Tyler fan cause I love his action music. He did a good job incorporating the theme from the previous score.

And you shun me for enjoying The Final Destination? Heathen!

I never shunned you. I enjoyed both the film and its score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote

Working on a review or still trying to decide if it is the really great score it is? wink

I'm working on the review and it is a great score just not the gushing recommendation that Jon gave. He is certainly entitled to his opinion. I took a bit of bashing recently when I gave Lonely Are The Brave ***** too. I'm thinking more in the **** range myself.
    Thomas

Jon's review at MMUK is dead on! It's a superb effort from Young. He does this sort of stuff with his eyes closed but unlike The Uninvited Young did some new things and created a fresh score that, while channeling his Hellraiser music, introduces some fascinating and new ideas into the realm of horror scoring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My review is up on the site. I liked it I just didn't feel it was a top 3 score in the last few years.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Meh! There hasn't been a really, really good film music year since 2004. But you said "fairly good" so whatever you definition of fairly is then you might be right.

-Erik-

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by “fairly good.” There were more scores that I REALLY enjoyed in 2007 than there were in 06, 08, or 09 (yet). I loved Atonement, The Last Sin Eater, Angel, Ratatouille, Pirates: At World’s End (his best in years, imo). A handful of others had some great cues: I Am Legend, Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, etc. There were several other scores that were generally well praised, though I haven’t been able to get them myself yet: Island of Lost Souls, Lust, Caution, Eastern Promises, I Know Who Killed Me, Zodiac, and maybe The Golden Compass and Lair. Not to mention some big re-releases: LOTR:FOTR, Alien, Wind and the Lion, etc. A fairly good year, in my estimation, especially compared to some others post-2000.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Driving Miss Daisy - Hans Zimmer.

I haven't listened to this one for a while now. I love how melodic it is and the synthesizer work is part of the charm, even though it dates the movie more than it should.

It's a pity it wasn't a small acoustic ensemble instead of synth, but even so, this score has a lot of charm. It's probably my favourite Zimmer theme.

Werd. I think that's what Hans would have done in this day and age. In fact, I would say that As Good As It Gets is the contemporary version of Driving Miss Daisy. I love that score, and how melodic, quirky, and organic the sound of it is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Panthera wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Panthera wrote
    I like the Dragonball Evolution score a lot. I think it gets better the more times you listen to it.

NP: The Final Destination - Bryan Tyler

Recently I've become a Bryan Tyler fan cause I love his action music. He did a good job incorporating the theme from the previous score.

And you shun me for enjoying The Final Destination? Heathen!

I never shunned you. I enjoyed both the film and its score.

My mistake. I thought you were Jordi last night. shame Come to think of it the English is too good. Sorry! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote

Working on a review or still trying to decide if it is the really great score it is? wink

I'm working on the review and it is a great score just not the gushing recommendation that Jon gave. He is certainly entitled to his opinion. I took a bit of bashing recently when I gave Lonely Are The Brave ***** too. I'm thinking more in the **** range myself.
    Thomas

Indeed, Jon´s review is really enthusiastic. But a four star review coming from you, well that´s really something wink Oh, and finally a tracklist in a review kiss

Although I don´t agree with you in one thing: I don´t think Chris Young is an underrated composer. He is given all the (deserved) praise and recognition when he releases a new work, specially the last years (Bless the Child, Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider, The Uninvited, Drag me to Hell,...). He´s always been, IMO, in the A list of composers.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Timeline (Goldsmith)

Is this the last score from the maestro, right? Or it was looney tunes?

Anyway, Leaving aside some 2 notes action motif played with synths wich I find annoying, this score has the sense of epic that I love from GOldsmith.

the love theme is beautiful, and the percusive elements(electronics or not) in the action tracks are cool!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Anyway, Leaving aside some 2 notes action motif played with synths wich I find annoying, this score has the sense of epic that I love from GOldsmith.

the love theme is beautiful, and the percusive elements(electronics or not) in the action tracks are cool!!!!

I think both were produced in 2003, but the last track of Timeline, "To my Frineds", is the best way to say goodbye.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I think both were produced in 2003, but the last track of Timeline, "To my Frineds", is the best way to say goodbye.

Agree. a typical Goldsmith string composition. Beautiful and touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

"Beam me up , Scotty !" cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Mission Impossible - DANNY ELFMAN

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Star Trek The Wrath of Khan (Expanded Edition) - James Horner

My first listen to the expanded edition and it punk !!
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Stop-Loss (powell)

The Guitar version of United 93 moon

The main theme is so noble, so touching....one of powell's best so far!It has this kind of notes twist that for some reason works so well...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : Star Trek The Wrath of Khan (Expanded Edition) - James Horner

My first listen to the expanded edition and it punk !!

Doesn't it just! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Drag me to Hell

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Fucking Amazing!

Indeed. With Hellraiser and Hellraiser II, it makes a perfect trio of horror scores. Probably the best horror scores ever composed.

Add Poltergeist to that list.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Goldsmith always classed that score as a family adventure score with horror aspects... and I agree with him. So I wouldn't class it as a full-out horror score like the Young examples. The Omen is one of the best horror scores I've ever heard.
  3. Medievil Resurrection (Bob & Barn)

Don't let the fact that a duo name Bob & Barn composed this fool you of its supposed stupidity. This is a refreshing and fun orchestral soundtrack to the videogame series with enough melodic loveliness to never bore you during its 1 hour length. This is actually thematically very consistent and plays like a good film score. Styles range from fantasy and mystery to full-on adventure. The rhythmic action cues are splendid and overall this sounds very solid. Another example of great talent working in the game industry.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Medievil Resurrection (Bob & Barn)

Don't let the fact that a duo name Bob & Barn composed this fool you of its supposed stupidity. This is a refreshing and fun orchestral soundtrack to the videogame series with enough melodic loveliness to never bore you during its 1 hour length. This is actually thematically very consistent and plays like a good film score. Styles range from fantasy and mystery to full-on adventure. The rhythmic action cues are splendid and overall this sounds very solid. Another example of great talent working in the game industry.

ahhh, so that were you listening to wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was Playing: Lazarus project (Tyler)

Great too listen Tyler doing a more intimate score. The main theme is addictive, some parts are relaxin, and impressive is how many instruments are played by Tyler himself.

It's not Mind Blowing like The Fountain but good enough.

NP:Alien Vs Predaror: Requiem (Tyler)

With Darkness Falls my favourite Tyler score.

The first time I listen it, I thought Demetris clearly was overreacting. Now I'm with him.

Thematically well presented, impressive orchestrations, Long action tracks and a really dark and agressive atmosphere.

I love Horner, Silvestri, Goldsmith and Goldenthal homenages!
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote

ahhh, so that were you listening to wink

Grrrr, go listen to your footie match bro. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I find I can listen to lightweight scores by certain composers and be perfectly content with them, most notably Horner, because he always brings something to the table that stands out from the rest. In the case of most of Desplat's scores, they just feel too clinical, too restrained. I don't want that in film music, I want to hear escapism, and passion, and feeling by CROM!

Not all music can be of the same style and satisfy only certain needs and moods.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

The first time I listen it, I thought Demetris clearly was overreacting. Now I'm with him.

Thematically well presented, impressive orchestrations, Long action tracks and a really dark and agressive atmosphere.

It's easily BRIAN TYLER's last really worthy score so far, if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Drag me to Hell

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Fucking Amazing!

Indeed. With Hellraiser and Hellraiser II, it makes a perfect trio of horror scores. Probably the best horror scores ever composed.

Add Poltergeist to that list.

Word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote

Thomas

Indeed, Jon´s review is really enthusiastic. But a four star review coming from you, well that´s really something wink Oh, and finally a tracklist in a review kiss

Although I don´t agree with you in one thing: I don´t think Chris Young is an underrated composer. He is given all the (deserved) praise and recognition when he releases a new work, specially the last years (Bless the Child, Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider, The Uninvited, Drag me to Hell,...). He´s always been, IMO, in the A list of composers.

Well, the world of film music could certainly benefit if all those profile projects that went / go to RC hacks and other hacks (e.g. TYLER BATES, HASLINGER etc) went to people like YOUNG instead; in that sense, yes, he's underrated, when someone like him - who's clearly singularly gifted and has returned with one of the best scores of the last 5-years or so, is is given to score crap like THE UNINVITED, the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I find I can listen to lightweight scores by certain composers and be perfectly content with them, most notably Horner, because he always brings something to the table that stands out from the rest. In the case of most of Desplat's scores, they just feel too clinical, too restrained. I don't want that in film music, I want to hear escapism, and passion, and feeling by CROM!

Not all music can be of the same style and satisfy only certain needs and moods.

Er... what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "I don't want that in film music, I want to hear escapism, and passion, and feeling by CROM!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I still don't know what you're getting at? (In fact I've been sitting here for a good few minutes trying to decipher that sentence! Srsly. dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's easily BRIAN TYLER's last really worthy score so far, if you ask me.

What happen with Eagle Eye and Final Destination?
  6. Eagle Eye may be my favorite Tyler score actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website