• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Eric wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm really glad you guys enjoyed them. Seriously. I just found some of the the edits to not make any sense musically. Some of the edits were odd... the Zorro/Willow thing was weird mainly because I think those two pieces are in a different key. I just found that the flow was disrupted by some jarring edits. Look, I'm no pro sound engineer or sound editor but when I do my edits I really take a lot of time to make sure that the edits are as seamless as possible and make sense musically. If I have to find a cymbal crash or a timpani roll from some other score to bridge the gap then I'll add them in.

Now as you know my own Horner suite contains some nasty edits that I think bother me more so than the rest of you.

-Erik-

I never heard any of your suites Erik , so I would love to listen to them ...
    Are they available somewhere ?

I downloaded them from him, but if Erik is willing to share them I should let him do it.

They're great, a true mixmaster at work. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    At this Armistice Day, compounded by the twentieth anniversary of the death blow to classic Communist rule, I feel I should listen to somthing to commemorate both events...but I'm hard pressed to think what would be appropriate.

Dr. Zhivago, maybe.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DARIO MARIANELLI - agora

Slowly but steadily, and with the repeated listens, i am being convinced that this is the most beautiful, emotional and melodic orchestral score of the year so far, with outstanding lyrical qualities and brilliant compositions, esp. the climax and finale. I am very, very impressed with Dario.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009 edited
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Horner)

THIS IS REAL FILM MUSIC.

What more can I add that wouldn't be useless info?

The previously unreleased tracks really add to the power and intensity of the action material. And the quality of the recording is second to none.

OMG... That is indeed useless info, everybody knows that already. shame

Captain Terrell's Death is spooky & brilliant !!!!

Now all I need is Trek III expanded (complete if possible). cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Question about Star Trek II or more a question about Horner's use of instruments.

What is the instrument called that is used for the whooshing effect in the track 'Surprise on Ceti Alpha V'? I've also heard it used in Cocoon in the track 'The Lovemaking'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    At this Armistice Day, compounded by the twentieth anniversary of the death blow to classic Communist rule, I feel I should listen to somthing to commemorate both events...but I'm hard pressed to think what would be appropriate.

Dr. Zhivago, maybe.

smile

I was thinking about that too, and I couldn't answer my question.

I still want to hear Jan AP Kaczmarek's score for Passendale (Passchendaele), perhaps combined with Goodbye Lenin.

The Blue Max
    Joyeux Noël
    Regeneration
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I always stop and think about stuff on this day each year.

Completely unrelated listening:

Tutte Le Donne Della Mia Vita - Ennio Morricone

His most lightweight score for ages, but most enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joyeux Noël.....mmmmmmm, gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    Question about Star Trek II or more a question about Horner's use of instruments.

What is the instrument called that is used for the whooshing effect in the track 'Surprise on Ceti Alpha V'? I've also heard it used in Cocoon in the track 'The Lovemaking'.

I can't give you a genuinely correct answer. But I imagine it would look something like a large bamboo type pipe thingy that hangs on the end of a thin rope. When you spin it around it produces that spooky noise.
    That's my guess anyway. As for the name of it .......?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    I still want to hear Jan AP Kaczmarek's score for Passendale (Passchendaele),

Oddly there seems to never have been a soundtrack release? confused

The Blue Max
    Joyeux Noël
    Regeneration

Nice choices all.
    I just wanted to add a little Communist flavour myself. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I still want to hear Jan AP Kaczmarek's score for Passendale (Passchendaele),

Oddly there seems to never have been a soundtrack release? confused

There has been one? I can't remember but his last 2-3 scores were terribly disappointing anyway.
  3. NP: Zodiac (David Shire)

One of the great thriller scores of the decade.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Spider-Man 3 (Promo) - Christopher Young - 14 track version
    A great score. Sad that most of the material featuring the love theme was replaced. It's a great theme. I especially like its appearance, performed by choir, which accompanies the scene where [spoiler]Harry dies.[/spoiler] 15 seconds of bliss.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: How To Make An American Quilt - Thomas Newman

Gorgeous stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Has to be one of the most catchy/addictive themes of the year! dizzy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    LSH wrote
    NP: How To Make An American Quilt - Thomas Newman

Gorgeous stuff.

cool

Gorgeous stuff indeed! The 'quilting theme' is meltissimo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Disney's The Kid - Marc Shaiman (promo)
    It's too bad there has never been a CD release of this score. It's among my favorites by Shaiman. The usual soft and warm melodies with some additional funny material. It's a pity that the sound quality of the promo I have is horrendous.
  4. NP: Tetro (Golijov)

Two tracks into my first listen, and I'm spellbound. Hauntingly right.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Question about Star Trek II or more a question about Horner's use of instruments.

I can't give you a genuinely correct answer. But I imagine it would look something like a large bamboo type pipe thingy that hangs on the end of a thin rope. When you spin it around it produces that spooky noise.
    That's my guess anyway. As for the name of it .......?

Thanks Atham! My guess was it was done with a synthesizer, but to learn it's an actual instrument or something that was constructed to make that peculiar sound is interesting. Horner used that quite often in those days, I kinda miss it. It's unique to say the least and I haven't heard it used by any other composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Oban Star-Racers by Taku Iwasaki.

CD arrived the other day and so far I'm very pleased with it. Taku Iwasaki never ceases to amaze me with the way he approached his assignments. "Aikka's Theme" in particular is absolutely fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

I don't really like calling it a theme, it's not developed enough but yeah, it IS catchy and addictive and I like it a lot too! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (Stephen Harwood)

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (Ed Lima & Duncan Watt)

Both of these scores are orchestral and wonderful to listen to. What can I say, they're basically the total opposite of MOH asskicking action extravaganzas, as in being low-key and dramatic yet thematic to accompany the simulated harsh reality of the two WWII videogames. The only common aspect with MOH is an insanely memorable main theme for the two of them.

This is another example of videogame music that will not get much attention because not too many people know about the games, let alone the music, undeservedly so because there is some really gorgeous material here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I don't really like calling it a theme, it's not developed enough but yeah, it IS catchy and addictive and I like it a lot too! cool

Not to resurrect this argument...(but I'm going to)...
    *counts*
    How is 36 notes not developed enough, in a world where most people consider the Jaws theme to be a theme?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Not to resurrect this argument...(but I'm going to)...
    *counts*
    How is 36 notes not developed enough, in a world where most people consider the Jaws theme to be a theme?

Simple and primitive just like the shark in the film the Jaws theme is definitive but yeah, I can see your point.

Giacchino's Trek theme sounds incomplete.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote

I won't argue with that. I will just say that it's likely its supposed to sound incomplete, i.e. the character hasn't been fully developed yet in the first film, so the theme isn't fully developed either. We know that Giacchino has more material waiting in the wings. For example, Spock's theme is even more transient and incomplete in the film, but we hear a huge extension of it, in a completely different style, in the end credits on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I won't argue with that. I will just say that it's likely its supposed to sound incomplete, i.e. the character hasn't been fully developed yet in the first film, so the theme isn't fully developed either. We know that Giacchino has more material waiting in the wings. For example, Spock's theme is even more transient and incomplete in the film, but we hear a huge extension of it, in a completely different style, in the end credits on the album.

Good points. Let's see what they'll do music-wise in the next installments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I won't argue with that. I will just say that it's likely its supposed to sound incomplete, i.e. the character hasn't been fully developed yet in the first film, so the theme isn't fully developed either.

From what I heard, that's precisely correct.
  7. Wouldn't it be great to have the motif growing with each movie installment, until it becomes a certified and complete theme in Star Trek XIX: The Wrath of Khan's Cousin. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    NP:A Dark Knight from The Dark Knight.

16 minutes, 4 parts:

1) the addagio. If I have to choose, this is my favourite Zimmer addagio . This little electronics bits with the gorgeous string composition really makes my mind blow away.

2) the new batman them much more darker and powerfull, if also unmemorable.

3) The dissonant, almost spooky, part. The climax of the movie. With the ferries and Joker and batman's confrontation. Deliciously Dissonant and dramatic.

4) The closing. The last 4 minutes, with the 2 notes motif arranged with louder horns and percussion it's a really superb way to close the album and the score. Someday I will have to do my own edit to can play this last 4 minutes without listening the previous 12 tongue
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote
    DARIO MARIANELLI - agora

Slowly but steadily, and with the repeated listens, i am being convinced that this is the most beautiful, emotional and melodic orchestral score of the year so far, with outstanding lyrical qualities and brilliant compositions, esp. the climax and finale. I am very, very impressed with Dario.

I was stunned too. It is the type a score that really takes time to process and digest since it is quite complex.

NP Baaria Ennio Morricone

Still impressed.