• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    confused I am very curious to know if #1 you have this recording in your collection and #2 which recording do you have. If you have Fantasia that has enough of it to count also. Our webmaster Bregt thinks he knows what it is but doesn't have it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    shame
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I do, both "in Fantasia" as well as as a proper recording.
    I'd have to check on the actual details though, and as it's late and I'm ready for bed, I'll do that tomorrow.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. The version I have was released in 1990 and features Zubin Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic:

http://www.amazon.com/Swan-Lake-Suite-N … amp;sr=8-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a number of recordings on LP but only one on CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    I have the Charles Gerhardt recording as my definitive. I think I have another in a Tchaikovsky box set of all his symphonies.

BTW Tom, not sure what recording your referring to?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    I love this piece of music. I have the Montréal Symphony orchestra recording conducted by Charles Dutoit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    TJ I am talking about the Nutcracker Suite, all or part of it. I'd be curious Timmer to see which ones you have on LP. There is really quite a difference in the recordings of this fine piece.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    sdtom wrote
    TJ I am talking about the Nutcracker Suite, all or part of it. I'd be curious Timmer to see which ones you have on LP. There is really quite a difference in the recordings of this fine piece.

So you're not referencing a specific recording? I imagine it's been recorded many many times over the years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    sdtom wrote

I definitely have Leonard Bernstein and Thomas Beecham on LP Tom, I can't remember the others ( maybe only another one or two recordings? ), I seem to remember Maazel?!

CD is Andre Previn.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I probably have 3 different recordings of this suite. Love it! His Swan lake is equally amazing.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was interested more in listening to different recordings to find the best one! I have Previn, Bernstein, Dorati, Kunzel, and the movie soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    sdtom wrote
    I was interested more in listening to different recordings to find the best one! I have Previn, Bernstein, Dorati, Kunzel, and the movie soundtrack.

Oh Tom, you gotta get Charles Gerhardt's Christmas CD!

You've heard his film compilations I imagine.

See here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutcracker-Other- … B000002YSE

they have some used copies for under a buck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Yupper, I have to get this one even though it is the opus 71A suite. I'm listening this morning to a Previn/London Philharmonic complete recording. So far I like the Kunzel better but I shouldn't let the age of the recording bother me. More later
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    A whole lot of research but it is finally done! You can read it at golden scores when Bregt finds time in his incredibly busy schedule to put it up or its on my neglected art blog which is
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/

I'm nutcrackered out for this year! Yikes. My next project is to be Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I'm nutcrackered out for this year!

biggrin

Made me laugh!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is funny! I never get tired of almonds, dubliner cheese, and wasa multigrain crackers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And here it is on GoldenScores. smile
    http://www.goldenscores.com/?a=classical&id=78
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    sdtom wrote
    It is funny! I never get tired of almonds, dubliner cheese, and wasa multigrain crackers.

dubliner cheese??
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    Dubliner Cheese is a wonderful irish one we get here in the states.
    tom