• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    Well, it was probably some of our resident Indian members who should have started this thread (so sorry for that!), but it was long in the making, as they say. Here's the place to discuss all things Bollywood, including the music that isn't specifically about the composers (who have their separate threads).

I'll start with a simple query: I have the SHOLAY soundtrack with R.D. Burman's songs, but there is no score there (except for the main titles, anyway), and I really love the funky music for the train sequence:

http://www.chakpak.com/video/sholay-train-scene/28097

Even has some shades of Goldsmith's THE WIND AND THE LION.

Is it available somewhere?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    I came across a couple of releases titled "The Bombay Connection" sometime earlier, which had a few selections of score from early Bollywood films. I think the Amitabh Bachchan starrer Kaala Patthar did indeed have a rare score release, on LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    I came across a couple of releases titled "The Bombay Connection" sometime earlier, which had a few selections of score from early Bollywood films. I think the Amitabh Bachchan starrer Kaala Patthar did indeed have a rare score release, on LP.

Yeah, I've heard about that set, but didn't know it had any score cues. I'll check it out, thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I dunno if it has any score from Sholay, but it has some similar funky "Giraffe trapping" music from another film, which you might like. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    I dunno if it has any score from Sholay, but it has some similar funky "Giraffe trapping" music from another film, which you might like. smile

"Giraffe trapping".....I like that. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Another question I have:

Lata Mangeshkar is almost 80 years old now and seems to be mostly retired (which I guess is deserved when you've recorded 20.000-something songs). Who do you think will carry her torch on? Are there other female singers who have the same "chipmunk"-like quality in their voice or was she one-of-a-kind?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think Lata is a legend, going up to her level is not going to be something easy. There are some quite good female singers in Bollywood (like Shreya Ghosal) but I doubt they can reach that pinnacle level so soon. I can't say much though because I don't listen to Bollywood songs... maybe Sunil can elaborate on this? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm gonna dance on Bollywood music next Saturday! punk

Together with 10000 people, there's gonna be recorded a video clip, to be used as protesting and action movement for more action for the climate change, and as a encouragement for the coming climate summit in Copenhague.

http://www.thebigaskagain.be/spip.php?rubrique11
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote

Together with 10000 people, there's gonna be recorded a video clip, to be used as protesting and action movement for more action for the climate change, and as a encouragement for the coming climate summit in Copenhague.

Good that you're protesting Bregt. Far more important than other things.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt wrote

Awesome Bregt! bhangra
    Any idea what you'll be dancing to? Have fun man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Well, it was probably some of our resident Indian members who should have started this thread (so sorry for that!), but it was long in the making, as they say. Here's the place to discuss all things Bollywood, including the music that isn't specifically about the composers (who have their separate threads).

Well done! applause Hats off to you, Thor! kiss beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Here's the place to discuss all things Bollywood

Thor,

I would like to give suggestion to you that instead of The Bollywood Thread, you should keep it as Indian Film Industry. Because Bollywood always indicates Hindi films alone. You should know there are many different languages in India. So, i believe it would be fair enough to address this thread as Indian Film Industry than Bollywood.

Of course, i know that according to West, they see Indian Film industry as Bollywood. But i say its wrong. For additional information, read the following:

Hollywood - English movies

Bollywood - Hindi Movies

Tollywood - Telugu Movies

Mollywood - Malayalam Movies

Kollywood - Tamil Movies

Honestly speaking, i hate whenever people uses the above mentioned names. Its just sucks. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Wow, I didn't know there was a "Mollywood". What's next, "Follywood"? dizzy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lol Maybe! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Here's the place to discuss all things Bollywood

Thor,

I would like to give suggestion to you that instead of The Bollywood Thread, you should keep it as Indian Film Industry. Because Bollywood always indicates Hindi films alone. You should know there are many different languages in India. So, i believe it would be fair enough to address this thread as Indian Film Industry than Bollywood.

Of course, i know that according to West, they see Indian Film industry as Bollywood. But i say its wrong. For additional information, read the following:

Hollywood - English movies

Bollywood - Hindi Movies

Tollywood - Telugu Movies

Mollywood - Malayalam Movies

Kollywood - Tamil Movies

Honestly speaking, i hate whenever people uses the above mentioned names. Its just sucks. vomit

And Lollywood too, if you include Pakistan. So yes, I'm well aware that there are many languages in India, and I considered naming the thread something more general, like "The Indian Film (Music) Thread", but Bollywood is the term most known to Western audiences, so I decided to just have artistic liberty there. I also intend to include non-Bollywood films from India, like the more "artsy" ones I've previously talked about.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    Lollywood? yaks vomit

Apart from that, Thor, you should know this, why in west people consider Bollywood as the term to be used behalf of Indian Film Industry? This is because of lack of unity in our country. In first place, Bollywood filmmakers are self-fish, they just want to take their hindi films to world stage and ignore other languages. They never give importance to other languages. Because of this many people in the west thinks Bollywood means Hindi films alone. Really shame on this film. You should know there are many quality movies in other languages like Bengali, Oriya, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, especially in Malayalam. If you see any of the Malayalam movie, you can see they have very powerful and strong script, which even Hollywood cannot produce such strong script. And most of the malayalam movies are very low budget, but they have very rich storyline. You know these Bollywood filmmakers not only copy world movies but also from regional movies.

Thor, all i expect that attitude of Western audience should change. They should look at Indian Film Industry as Indian Film Industry only, not this Bollywood crap. Cut the crap and enjoy world movies, especially Indian movies. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm back from the event! This was MASSIVE!

While not much Bollywood music was used, we were taught a choreography to dance the typical moves from Bollywood songs. All this with 10 000 people TOGETHER.

Hilarious. Remembering the moves, doing them quite fast, and since it was all happening on a beach, it wasn't that easy going either. But man, this was fun.

When the video clip is finished, it will be used for the coming climate top in Copenhagen, as a 'pressure' tool, or at least to let the politicians know they'd better do something more than the current vague promises. Do something! The event was supported and organised by all major 'green' organisations, like Oxfam, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, ...

I'm looking forward to the result, because all these people together, wow!

Here's some footage:
    http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/c … igaskagain

And this is from last year, where I also participated
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRP5x2M … re=related
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks like fun. Now the challenge is: FIND BREGT!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Holy cow! That is super massive! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    Looks really fun! punk
  1. Bregt wrote

ah, I saw that on TV, from Nick Balthazar right?
    was it any fun?
    it really looked fun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    See my comment 4 posts above Thomas.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    See my comment 4 posts above Thomas.

oh sorry, didn't see that one shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt, you, live, in all those people dancing BOLLYWOOD style?

Man, i can easily tell you're in only for the hot Indian chicks. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Thor,

I saw your profile picture. Actually, whose picture is that? Is that you? the guy in specs?

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Thor,

I saw your profile picture. Actually, whose picture is that? Is that you? the guy in specs?

Have a nice day!

Yes, that's me.

By the way, you don't have a picture that is more close-up of yourself, do you? It's kinda hard to make out what you look like, there you are behind a desk at the back of the room. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dangerous grounds
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

Yes, that's me.

By the way, you don't have a picture that is more close-up of yourself, do you? It's kinda hard to make out what you look like, there you are behind a desk at the back of the room.

Thanks. You look really good.

Hmmm..... if you insist, i try to get close-up picture of mine and pass on to you. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    IF THE BUTTERFLY FLAPS ITS WINGS!!

I UNDERSTOOD THAT!