• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited
    A pretty exciting new assignment, esp. for film score fans, coming from director John Hillcoat, a frequent collaborator of the said composers, and from the author of No country for old men:

THE ROAD

trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfX … re=channel

info:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Also, a stellar cast.
  1. This is one of the great novels I've read. I fear for the film, despite the immense talent involved.

I wouldn't have thought the film would need any music at all actually. Maybe something very subtle at the end. It just isn't that kind of story that needs it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From the trailer it looks like the kind of film that will readily support music!?

Both the trailer and your comment have me interested in maybe reading the book Michael, perhaps you could explain why you think the film doesn't need music?

Without possible spoilers please
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. It feels like the sort of story where you can hear how lifeless the landscape is for miles around. More of a sound design story than a music story. A chill wind moving through spaces would be the dominant idea. Noticing above all the sounds the main characters make in any space, since they aren't competing with anyone else - machine or human - to be heard.

I do think at the end it would be hard to get away without music. Maybe the film as a whole would need it, since the rhythm of McCarthy's prose - a kind of music in itself - would be absent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've looked forward to this film ever since I heard about McCarthy's book. I just love post-apocalyptic stuff, and this one even looks to be very realistic - no zombies, terminators or monsters (even though the trailer is edited as if there were, which I think is very misleading). I hope the music is very sparse, lowkey and ambient. This has potential for a great mood!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    It feels like the sort of story where you can hear how lifeless the landscape is for miles around. More of a sound design story than a music story. A chill wind moving through spaces would be the dominant idea. Noticing above all the sounds the main characters make in any space, since they aren't competing with anyone else - machine or human - to be heard.

I do think at the end it would be hard to get away without music. Maybe the film as a whole would need it, since the rhythm of McCarthy's prose - a kind of music in itself - would be absent.

Thanks Michael, that makes sense. I'll try and check out the book.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    It feels like the sort of story where you can hear how lifeless the landscape is for miles around. More of a sound design story than a music story. A chill wind moving through spaces would be the dominant idea. Noticing above all the sounds the main characters make in any space, since they aren't competing with anyone else - machine or human - to be heard.

No Country for Old Men had a really minimal amount of score though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. It did. If this keeps to that tradition, I think it will be better for all. Hillcoat tends to use original score more than the Coens do however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If this has the same level of violence as No Country For Old Men I'll pass. I just don't need to see that anymore.
    listen to more classical music!
  5. It's not particularly violent. The land is already dead when the film begins. Mind you, Hillcoat would probably find a way to get a few vicious encounters into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This was a great, great novel - and whenever a film of one of those is coming up, I look forward with a mixture of fear and anticipation. Will be exciting to see how it works out. Didn't expect much of a score either (like Michael) - maybe more a "sound design" type-score, or something Morricone might have written in the 60s (or Beltrami in the 00s, perhaps).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote

In this case, i am even more confident that the choice of composers is very SPOT-ON.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    News about the soundtrack release
    The Road – Original Film Score
    Out November 23, 2009
    (physical release January 12, 2010)

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis have been creating music together for more than fifteen years with The Bad Seeds, Grinderman and The Dirty Three. More recently, the duo have collaborated on soundtracks for The Proposition (2005) and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007), and released White Lunar, a two CD set (2009) featuring music from the aforementioned films along with rare and previously unavailable material. Adding to this impressive catalogue, the pair will release through Mute on January 12, 2010 their soundtrack to The Road, a new movie directed by John Hillcoat.

This highly anticipated big screen adaptation of the beloved, bestselling and Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Road by Cormac McCarthy (author of No Country For Old Men) sees Academy Award-nominee Viggo Mortensen leading an all-star cast featuring Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce and young newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee. An epic post-apocalyptic tale of survival of a father and his young son journeying across a barren America destroyed by a mysterious cataclysm, The Road boldly imagines a future in which men are pushed to the worst and the best that they are capable of -- a future in which a father and his son are sustained by love.

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis have created an evocative score featuring violin and piano with beautiful fleeting melodies and eerie sound loops filled with terror and suspense. The threat of all-too-real cannibal gangs is heightened by disturbing loops and frenetic percussion. A small ensemble of wind instruments adds further scope. At key moments in the movie, scenes between the father and son are set to musical passages that are light, lyrical and elegiac.

“The movie is about the loss of things, the absence of things, the lack of things. The lack of the wife/mother is present in every frame of the film. The delicate edifice of the film holds the ache of her absence, tenderly and by the tips of the fingers,” explains Cave. “The music was composed as a direct response to the film. A light, haunting, simple score with a sense of absence and loss at its heart.”

For Hillcoat and his team, the mission was to convey the horrific aspect of a ravaged world without resorting to well-worn clichés from the end-of-the earth genre. This required delicacy on all fronts -- it meant creating a score without a big orchestral sound or melodrama or sentimentality. The Road is an adventure story, a horror story, a road movie and ultimately a love story between a father and his son, between a man and his wife, as it is a celebration of the inextinguishable will to live. The music of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis found just the right balance.

Cave and Ellis have previously scored John Hillcoat's critically acclaimed 2005 Australian 'Western', The Proposition. Cave (who also provided the script for The Proposition) and Ellis' unsettling soundtrack music received universal critical praise.

www.nickcaveandwarrenellis.com
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Nice! They also did THE ROAD, right? The new film, too which i am very looking forward!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    This press release is about the cd for The Road. wink

(but I should have made that more clear in fact, so I edited the post smile)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've loved the sound clips I've heard from THE ROAD. Pretty much the same as I described it above, BEFORE I had heard it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice. Looking forward to the movie, the trailer is very promising.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Score and movie sound interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Southall wrote
    The book is outstanding.

So I've heard!? I'm tempted to get it but I always seem to have a big pile of unread books that I'm continually trying to catch up with.
  6. Audio clips from The Road.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    The latest album by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, White Lunar which has been released in september, contains a CD with selections of music they composed for films, like The Proposition and The Assassination of Jesse James. Since the final third of the CD contains tracks like The Road, The Father, The Journey and The Boy, I figured that was more or less the release of their music (mainly because I'm sure a film like this doesn't need a lot of music, look what they did with the previous McCarthy film).

Amazon.com page with clips:
    http://www.amazon.com/White-Lunar-Warre … l_1#disc_1

I'm glad there will be a score release as well, and that I know this before buying that album (don't want to buy the music from their previous scores twice, thouh as good as it is), but the music can be heard already in more than just clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009
    Thankfully, THE ROAD will also be released on audio CD!

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Nick-Cave/dp … mp;sr=1-11

I was worried for a while this one would remain a download only release, and after hearing portions of this powerful score, I was really hoping for a physical release as well. Will order it as soon as possible!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    I'm currently writing my review. It's without a doubt another fantastic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very emotional and gripping, at times at the very contrary, cold and neutral, surely i'd imagine it fits the movie perfectly. But a "fantastic" score? Not too sure about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    I'm currently writing my review. It's without a doubt another fantastic score.

I think so too, from the clips I've heard. Looking forward to see the film and listen to the score beyond the clips.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    It's very emotional and gripping, at times at the very contrary, cold and neutral, surely i'd imagine it fits the movie perfectly. But a "fantastic" score? Not too sure about that.

don't you know yet Demetris?
    Everything's fantastic with Joep wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010