• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    I thought I'd allow myself a topic which I can update when I post new reviews.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Movie Wave lately and whether I should bother carrying on. There are three key things telling me I shouldn't:

I've been doing it for twelve years now - a hell of a long time for someone who isn't musical to write about music. And it's becoming increasingly obvious now that really, there is a very limited range of things I can say about scores; and by constantly repeating myself, I'm just doing the very thing that I accuse various lesser film composers of doing.

The music's got worse, or at least, it's not what I want it to be any more. When I got into film music, I could look forward in a single year to five new scores from Goldsmith, two or three from Williams, two or three from Bernstein, two or three from Barry, five or more from Morricone. These days only the occasional dipping of the feet from Williams or Morricone is left. Even though there are a few composers whose works I greatly enjoy - none of them makes me excited any more. I can't remember the last time I waited for something so eagerly as I used to back in those days - when every couple of weeks there'd be a new score from a genuine master to enjoy. Not all of them were great - some were far from it - but some of them WERE great. Nothing any more gives me the special feeling I got the first time I listened to Far From Heaven or Mission to Mars or AI or First Knight.

Finally, the whole point of having reviews seems to have disappeared. There is extensive discussion of any new score long before the album has even been released in the Now Playing thread on this very forum, so it's pretty obvious how most people get their new scores - and if they're not paying for them, they're not likely to bother with a review. And then there are the limited edition releases of older scores - many of which have sold out by the time I've got my copy, let alone reviewed it, so again it seems strangely pointless. I still quite enjoy writing the words - but going through the hassle of typing out the orchestrators, the tracklisting etc, I can't be bothered with. I'd rather just write a paragraph or two in the Now Playing thread. (At least then more than twelve people might actually read what I write, which frequently isn't the case at the moment.)

Despite this, I'll carry on for now, but I won't bother renewing the domain when it next expires (can't remember if that's next year or the one after). I'll keep this thread updated when I post new reviews.

Today's are...

Star Trek II - James Horner
    The Right Stuff - Bill Conti
    Aliens in the Attic - John Debney
    The Poker Club - Evan Evans
    Hard Contract - Alex North

http://www.movie-wave.net
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    Well, James. There is at least one very good reason why you should continue.

YOU ARE THE BEST.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Despite this, I'll carry on for now, but I won't bother renewing the domain when it next expires (can't remember if that's next year or the one after).

While I think you should continue with reviewing (as one of the few best!), the quoted statement is mad!

Renew the domain, even if you won't update. Your reviews are part of the collective memory and database of the film music community, and can be found through Google and others, even after you stop reviewing. Might be more of help than you may think. So I wouldn't drop the domain name. If you want other web hosting (cheaper), I can do that for you (since I remember you paid too much?). I just need information on your domain name, who owns it, and how to change it.

But that doesn't change the fact you should continue!
    Kazoo
  1. Honestly James, I understand completely what you mean

The last week I've not listened to one score, not a single one even if I usually listen to 2 to 3 a day, I'm constantly repeating myself when reviewing and I'm honestly having major problems with the constant fact today's music is filler compared to what came before it.

But I know I'll continue anyway and I'll know I'll miss it toooooo much if I ever decide to stop, so I urge you to renew your domain, because one way or another you'll end up missing it. And even if you decide to review a couple per month anymore, it are the couple that you'll end up missing in the end.

Trust me James, I know how you feel but renew it, because you are way too good and you love it way too much to end it.

RENEW IT, CONTINUE IT

JUST KEEP REVIEWING

a fellow reviewer shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall, I must admit that I haven't read any of your reviews. But then again, I don't read ANY reviews. Never have. Not really my thing, unless the "review" is in the form of in-depth, scholarly analysis.

That said, I'd like to say two things:

I think it is wrong to be in the review business if you're only interested in reviewing your favourite artists and composers. Being a reviewer requires - IMO - a very open mind towards a wide spectre of styles. It also requires you to be INFORMED. For example, there would be little value in a review that lambasted a groundbreaking new rap album just because the reviewer only likes symphonic music. It is my firm belief that in order to be a credible reviewer, you have to know something about ALL kinds of music - to an extent - and be open to it. Without losing your value judgements and personal opinions, of course. It's a tricky balance.

Second, I think you're right in that soundtrack reviews are getting more and more marginalized. This is why I think reviews should be VERY succinct. Basically just TWO paragraphs - first one describing the product, then a second with the value judgement. The review should go from about here.....

....to here.

Straight-to-the-point. That would maybe even make ME read them. It's also a challenge to the reviewer because he needs to focus his attention on language and contents. No ranting allowed!

That's the way I see it, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Re: Thor's post.
    :thereisntanemoticonforthebemusedlookihave:

Re: the initial post.
    James... Life is short. You review because you enjoy it. If you've ceased to enjoy it, then don't do it, good reviewing techniques be damned. But keep the documents alive on the internet. You've been an important part of the online film music culture for a decade at least.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thank you all for your kind comments. I realise in retrospect that my original message may have come off as one of those desperate pleas for attention - which honestly wasn't my intention.

Thor, I entirely agree with you. I think you misinterpreted me if you thought I meant that I only wanted to review things I liked. That wasn't it at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thank you all for your kind comments. I realise in retrospect that my original message may have come off as one of those desperate pleas for attention - which honestly wasn't my intention.

Thor, I entirely agree with you. I think you misinterpreted me if you thought I meant that I only wanted to review things I liked. That wasn't it at all.

No, I was really talking in more general terms, but I took as point-of-departure your stated "alienating feeling" for the current music scene, and that things weren't as they used to. I think a reviewer must strive to be independent of such issues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    James please don't stop.
    For years now I've enjoyed reading your reviews which I've always found entertaining to say the least.
    Sure I may not agree with all of them but I've always enjoyed the spirit in which you write your views on the subject matter.
    The day Movie Wave closes down will be a sad day indeed for us, the score loving community.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I thought for a bit about what you had to say Thor in regards to your comments about the reviewing process.

I think it is wrong to be in the review business if you're only interested in reviewing your favourite artists and composers. Being a reviewer requires - IMO - a very open mind towards a wide spectre of styles. It also requires you to be INFORMED. For example, there would be little value in a review that lambasted a groundbreaking new rap album just because the reviewer only likes symphonic music. It is my firm belief that in order to be a credible reviewer, you have to know something about ALL kinds of music - to an extent - and be open to it. Without losing your value judgements and personal opinions, of course. It's a tricky balance.

As far as I know Thomas, Jon, James, myself, and others are paid nothing for our efforts except we might receive a review copy of material. I think we all write because we enjoy writing and music. If I were being paid $100.00 per review I would agree with you but I'm not so inclined to write a piece about Gamer but am aboutEye of the Needle, which is what I'm currently listening to and very likely people are more interested in what I think about this lesser score from Rosza as opposed to something newer and current.

I took the time to read his review of Hard Contract and then mine and we pretty much came to the same conclusion except he gave it three and I two. But I do feel that 5 years from now if someone is selling a copy on e-bay for a pricey amount the fact that the review information is available might allow someone to decide whether or not to purchase it.

I say to treat it like a blog James and share your opinion.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But then at least don't throw away your site as a resource!
    Kazoo
  3. From a personal point of view I'd ask you to carry on with your reviewing, James. Your site is one of the first ones I turn to when I want to check out what a CD is likely to be like. But as someone earlier said, if you don't enjoy doing them anymore then you shouldn't do them.

Your reviews of new releases would be greatly missed.

Comments in messageboards are all well and good, but you sometimes have to trawl through a lot of rubbish to get to a nugget of useful comment. And then it just degenerates into a "it's great"/"it's tripe" free-for-all.

Also, you'll probably find that you are repeating yourself review after review, but visitors are unlikely to real all your reviews, but rather only the particular titles that interest them...and therefore don't notice your repetitions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Actually, I think that's EXACTLY what you needed. I'm not sure how much feedback you get or have gotten over the years but if you rarely hear from people who are reading your reviews then you wonder if anyone actually cares. I haven't done a radio show in months and I've received two... count them TWO emails from people who said they actually miss new programming. Now, the site still gets 30 some odd viewers a day but I keep wondering to myself is my radio show stilll relevant.

In addition to that, finding time is always a factor. When I first started my show I was single and had all the time in the world to dedicate to my hobby. But then I got married, had kids and gathered more and more responsibilities that have taken me away from my hobby. I don't blame anyone for that because that's life. Sometime you HAVE to move on. Now, I really want to continue with the program because when I finish a new program and get it on line it's always a wonderful feeling. But then I start thinking about the next show and wonder when I'm going to find the time to work on it. But it's now turning more into work than fun. I think when that happens it is time to quit.

Anyway, James, if you do give up reviewing don't let the Movie Wave page die like Andy's Scorereviews page died. I think reviews are still important especially those who are new to film music and need to find such resources on-line.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I certainly sympathize with that whole "does anyone really care what I'm doing?" thing. A couple of months ago, I did an "Oingo Boingo at the Movies" discography for FSM. I had spent MONTHS doing the research for this, and watching the many crappy films that had Boingo songs in them, culminating in what is probably the most extensive Boingo film discography around. And what was the response? Two article replies (that didn't even have a "thank you") and one e-mail thank you.

I can only imagine what it's like if you've been doing this on a regular basis for several years, like Erik, James et.al. It's one of the main reasons why my own site - celluloidtunes.net - has been left without any updates for many years!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I actually have gotten a lot of response from my Svendsen and Holbrooke reviews which are classical.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I actually have gotten a lot of response from my Svendsen and Holbrooke reviews which are classical.
    Thomas

That's nice. Not so surprising, though, since classical music has wider appeal than film music (even though the composers are relatively obscure, like Svendsen and Holbrooke).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    I was really quite surprised at the interest in Svendsen. It was almost like people were unaware of his Norwegian Rhapsodies which are really quite good.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    moviescore wrote
    Well, James. There is at least one very good reason why you should continue.

YOU ARE THE BEST.

I was thinking the exact same words when I read the OP. James' reviews simply are the best. That alone should be an important reason not to give up.

Peter smile
  4. James, I think you are one of the two best reviewers on the web. I read every single review you write, even if I think there's no way I'll ever buy the score. I never download scores before they are released and am quite slow to buy new scores, so I've always found your reviews very helpful when deciding whether to buy a score or not.

All that said, you need to do what's best for you. I'm not trying to change your plans with my post, but I did want you to know how appreciative I am of all the countless hours you've put into your excellent site. The day you stop reviewing will be a sad day.

I'm off to read your new reviews smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I, too, always read your reviews James when deciding about purchasing a certain score or not. Besides, I also like your style of reviewing so it would be definitely a pity if you shut down the site.
    Even if you quit reviewing, which would be a pity too, it would be good if the site remained.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Some sentiments i too share as well and i find myself in complete understanding to James' sayings and feelings, like explained here a bit. Still, i find that there's always ways of limiting down the amount of titles reviewed, plus the amount of paragraphs and info contained in there too, so that the workload drops. It's very significant 'cause if you're not exactly excited about the title you're going to review, having a minimum workload at least helps you into not rejecting the idea, but to go on, spend some time and write the piece finally.

James, nobody wants you to quit; your site has been one of the brighter guides for everyone into film music, old and new, and for me as well; it was one of the first guidance websites i found when i started listening to this strange new genre nobody told me about before, and was completely matured, verified and trusted as a source, in violent contrast to others' works like Filmtracks for instance which even to a then newbie like me, strongly appeared as something was definitely wrong with them. And your opinion is generally valued, you're definitely one of the individuals that would be greatly missed in the community if you ever decided to stop reviewing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, James, if you stop, I'll be going from visiting one review site to zero.
    (To all the other reviewers here - sorry! No offence.)

Please don't stop telling me what to buy!
  5. fommes wrote
    Well, James, if you stop, I'll be going from visiting one review site to zero.
    (To all the other reviewers here - sorry! No offence.)

Please don't stop telling me what to buy!

none taken angry smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    None taken
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    (I was slightly exaggerating, of course. wink Though, if it makes feel you better - I wouldn't read my own reviews either!)
  6. fommes wrote
    (I was slightly exaggerating, of course. wink Though, if it makes feel you better - I wouldn't read my own reviews either!)

not really wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Reviews are not necessarily for everyone.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Re: Thor's post.
    :thereisntanemoticonforthebemusedlookihave:

Re: the initial post.
    James... Life is short. You review because you enjoy it. If you've ceased to enjoy it, then don't do it, good reviewing techniques be damned. But keep the documents alive on the internet. You've been an important part of the online film music culture for a decade at least.

Ditto!

Your reviews are a treasure, James! Keep the site (or move them elsewhere so the hosting costs are manageable). If you don't have the time or interest to write reviews anymore, that's ok. If it's a chore then don't do it.

Part of the drive behind writing reviews (not for a professional reviewer like Thor mentions) is that you get to share your thoughts about something that you're totally in love with or passionate about, or something fantastic that you stumbled on and felt that it needed a bigger audience. Write reviews for these even if they are as few as 6 reviews a year.

However, try not to neglect the upcoming Morricone scores wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    Part of the drive behind writing reviews (not for a professional reviewer like Thor mentions) is that you get to share your thoughts about something that you're totally in love with or passionate about, or something fantastic that you stumbled on and felt that it needed a bigger audience. Write reviews for these even if they are as few as 6 reviews a year.

True, but then it's more of a personal blog than a "review", strictly speaking. More in the vein of "hey, check out this great thing I heard recently...".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    True, but then it's more of a personal blog than a "review", strictly speaking. More in the vein of "hey, check out this great thing I heard recently...".

I'd be extremely curious to know how many reviewer's actually get paid for their opinion who have a site on the net. 1% ?
    Thomas