• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    I do it by composer in film order generally. I don't really know which film came first in a given year. I don't have the composers arranged in any sort of order, but I do have Williams first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010 edited
    Not orginised what so ever! There are on selves mixed up which makes what to choose fun and adventurous! smile wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I separate into jazz, classical, and soundtrack and then do it by company. For some reason I can remember which company released the score.
    Thomas

By company, eh? Hm, that sounds a bit weird to me, as whoever released the music is quite irrelevant. It's only the composer and the music itself that matter. But to each their own.

Thor you have to remember that I'm weird and my brain works differently probably because of the stroke. Maybe you'll have stroke someday and survive and your brain will work differently from how it use to function. I'm just a huge menace to society and should be locked up.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I separate into jazz, classical, and soundtrack and then do it by company. For some reason I can remember which company released the score.
    Thomas

By company, eh? Hm, that sounds a bit weird to me, as whoever released the music is quite irrelevant. It's only the composer and the music itself that matter. But to each their own.

Thor you have to remember that I'm weird and my brain works differently probably because of the stroke. Maybe you'll have stroke someday and survive and your brain will work differently from how it use to function. I'm just a huge menace to society and should be locked up.
    Thomas

Actually, Southall used to arrange soundtracks by label too (because they looked nice and everything), so he's a bit weird too. In fact, I think we're all a bit weird for liking this small niche interest and organizing them in various intricate systems. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Haphazardly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    I was looking for Dragonwyck and I knew that SAE released it. Easy to find
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    Thor wrote
    This is a topic that appears with regular intervals in the film score world, especially over at FSM. It has to be said that I play my collection mostly through iTunes these days (as I've transferred all my CD's there), but I still have this neatly organized shelf system in front of me - part furniture, part statement of who I am. I have somewhere between 900 and 1000 CD's in total.

It's basically broken down like this:

1) First soundtracks. There's the "composer sections", which means that I have a considerable amount of CD's of the same composer, so they get their own section. Each section is in chronological order (insert joke here!). John Williams, Danny Elfman, Elliot Goldenthal (these three are complete!), Goldsmith, Horner, Silvestri, Zimmer, Bernstein, Newton Howard, Poledouris, Arnold, Doyle, Kamen and Waxman. Then soundtracks organized alphabetically by title, then composer compilations by composer name, then "various" compilations by title.

2) Classical music, alphabetical by composer, except the massive Harmonia Mundi 30-CD box, which is at the end.

3) Electronic music, first by artists of which I have lots of stuff (Oakenfold, Jarre, Vangelis, Shpongle, Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom), then various.

4) Pop/rock, first by artists of which I have lots of stuff (Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Oingo Boingo, Manfred Mann's Earthband, Rammstein), then various in alphabetical order by artist.

That's it, basically. Here's a picture.

I'm sure it sounds very anal to most people, but it works for me. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's the best system for everyone else.

It's basically organized the same way today. I'm shocked, however, to see that I transferred my collection to iTunes in 2009. I thought it was 2015 or something. Geezes.

Anyone who didn't share their collection layout then, has a new chance now.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Since this topic, all my physical music is in storage.

sad

Digital compilation albums are divided up into their specific films rather than keeping them in a compilation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    It's so sad to think of a collection in storage. Even though I don't play my CDs much anymore, I still like to keep them out as a piece of furniture -- and a statement about who I am.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    It's so sad to think of a collection in storage. Even though I don't play my CDs much anymore, I still like to keep them out as a piece of furniture -- and a statement about who I am.

I wish that I had the space to have them physically here at home. Especially all the limited editions with the informative booklets. Maybe someday I will have them to hand.