• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    It's certainly getting almost universal praise among critics so far, I hope it does equally well at the box office too. We need more films with fresh and innovative ideas like this, and less of crappy remakes and mindless CGI-fests.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    Fact: Chris Nolan has two brothers. One works in film, and the other is in jail for murder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    It's certainly getting almost universal praise among critics so far, I hope it does equally well at the box office too. We need more films with fresh and innovative ideas like this, and less of crappy remakes and mindless CGI-fests.

Well, he surely is one to change that sad rule; i'd say he's one of the holdovers of the brilliant work done by the cinema masters in the past.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Fact: Chris Nolan has two brothers. One works in film, and the other is in jail for murder.

Damn, Anthony, you could have got mileage out of that by putting it on the TRUE/FALSE thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Someone over at filmtracks quoted an early review as saying that Zimmer was not allowed to see the film before scoring it. That sounds too extreme to be true. Anyone know if there is something to that?

I can't wait for this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    christopher wrote
    Someone over at filmtracks quoted an early review as saying that Zimmer was not allowed to see the film before scoring it. That sounds too extreme to be true. Anyone know if there is something to that?

According to Hans, he was involved with this movie after The Dark Knight premiered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    This is what captured my attention:

"A wildly entertaining and dazzling mind-trip not to be missed. Kubrick would have been proud. "

Chris Nolan really is a gifted film-maker.

Pete Hammond is a terrible film critic. He's the type of critic who gives movies glowing reviews in order to get his name in newpapers, movie trailers, etc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    EMPIRE is also giving it 5 stars, and this is what captured my attention:

Like The Matrix mated with Synecdoche, New York — or a Charlie Kaufman 007.

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Where's the Empire review? Or is it just in the magazine for now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This is what captured my attention:

"A wildly entertaining and dazzling mind-trip not to be missed. Kubrick would have been proud. "

Chris Nolan really is a gifted film-maker.

Pete Hammond is a terrible film critic. He's the type of critic who gives movies glowing reviews in order to get his name in newpapers, movie trailers, etc.

-Erik-

A-ha; so film music is not the only area this happens then wink

Well, good critics, bad critics; i don't need anyone to tell me who Chris Nolan is though; i truly think he's a brilliant film maker regardless.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    Where's the Empire review? Or is it just in the magazine for now?

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev … FID=136118
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    What really happened with the MAIN THEME / TRAILER MUSIC of "INCEPTION". A small talk with composer HANS ZIMMER on the subject.

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2010/ … about.html

that's good news, because I still think the trailer music of the second teaser still beats the nice (though not great) trailer music of the theatrical final trailer, it feels just more at home when I see it with the visuals
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. I just came out of the theater after seeing Inception.

I liked the film and the score. After reading quite some reviews, I was expecting a very difiicult to follow dream, within dream, within dream concept.

All in all, I found it pretty straight forward to follow, with enough adrenaline rushes and suspense to keep actions fans occupied, but with some lovely softer emotional/more sombre feelings in there as well.

The music for me worked really well. It was for me a typical Zimmer score in that way that the music did jump out at me during the mowie experience. It demands its place and it gets it.

I liked the added darkness, and ominous feeling it gave to the scenes.
    I'm not sure I'll go rushing to the store to buy it, but it definitely enhanced my film experience.

Come to think of it, another sort of score would probably have changed the movie for me entirely. Question? For the better or worse?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  4. christopher wrote
    Someone over at filmtracks quoted an early review as saying that Zimmer was not allowed to see the film before scoring it. That sounds too extreme to be true. Anyone know if there is something to that?

That might be why the music feels like some of his strongest since The Thin Red Line... Maybe developed the themes in isolation and then in editing they were conformed to the film, with final versions recorded against the film?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Yes, but there is something about The Thin Red Line, which I actually did wrong in my article. None of the pre-written music made it into the final film, actually. Zimmer rescored the whole film in post.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    christopher wrote

That might be why the music feels like some of his strongest since The Thin Red Line... Maybe developed the themes in isolation and then in editing they were conformed to the film, with final versions recorded against the film?

And Zimmer himself confirms it. He read the script, visited the set, but wasn't allowed to see any of the edited footage during post-production. He wrote his music to the script. When he finally saw the movie he was shocked for 3 reasons:

1. The music worked well actually.
    2. Nolan used EVERYTHING he wrote, including demos (he confronted Nolan about it, but Nolan calmed him down it was right).
    3. The mix was very loud.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, but there is something about The Thin Red Line, which I actually did wrong in my article. None of the pre-written music made it into the final film, actually. Zimmer rescored the whole film in post.

However quite a few of the themes developed in that period were used in the final recording of the score. And parts of the film were later re-edited too (going on some of the music edits in the film). Scores developed this way are often better since the music relates more to the ideas than the on-screen specifics.
    (The main advantage of the technique is to let the spotting of the music evolve with the film's edit.)
  8. PawelStroinski wrote

3. The mix was very loud.

Ah, so not even Zimmer could hear the dialogue clearly at times? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    I just came out of the theater after seeing Inception.

Come to think of it, another sort of score would probably have changed the movie for me entirely. Question? For the better or worse?

I'm sure a Bear McCreary score would have changed the movie for you entirely.
  9. Steven wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

even though Elin is a huge fan of McCreary, she loves a good old Zimmer anyday, and considering she loved it, no such thing as a different score or composer is necessary for you to mention it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Yeah, Steven. That was out of line! biggrin
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

even though Elin is a huge fan of McCreary, she loves a good old Zimmer anyday, and considering she loved it, no such thing as a different score or composer is necessary for you to mention it

Thanks Thomas for coming to my defence kiss.

But you know Steven, I wasn't even thinking about Bear when I made that comment.
    I don't even have an idea how a Bear score could/would sound like for a movie such as Inception. But I can imagine what Philip Glass, or Clint Mansell could produce and how that would drastically change the sound and my perception of the film.

But now you have given me something to think about? What would a McCreary sound be like for a movie such as Inception, LOL.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    Looking forward to see this one...

We almost went this weekend but we had to cancel and pick another date. I like to watch the trailer on my laptop with the headphones on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    it was too violent for my taste but being a bit of prude could you expect less from me
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So Tom, your top 3 films aren't Rambo, Saw II and The Hills Have Eyes? confused wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm more of a Maltese Falcon, Sunset Boulevard, and Odd Couple kind of a guy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's all good taste in my book. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Departed, Inception, and No Country For Old Men should have been left in the film cans IMHO
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thank god you don't make these decisions then!
  12. I can see the objection to No Country for Old Men from yourself. I for one am glad it wasn't left in the can. smile