• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010 edited
    Just saw the film and holy fuck! What a movie.
    [spoiler]
    The fight scene in the hotel
    [/spoiler] left me with my mouth open. That was so awesome and surreal. The whole concept of an inception is genius.

The music was good, but not extraordinary. It did shine in the suspense moments, like it did in The Dark Knight too. Very similar, and you are reminded of it quite a bit. The finale [spoiler]and the collapse[/spoiler] where fantastic though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hehe, glad you liked it! How did you like Zimmer's score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    Added a bit about the music.

Oh, and the girl is cuuute!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The girl? Ellen Page? Did you see Juno?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah! love
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mel's gone with friends to see it now, me? I've got heads to crack on the pool table.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You didn't want to see it for yourself? Or weren't you allowed to come on this girls night out?

edit: NM: just saw you got a pool contest. Good luck! Mel didn't want to support you and preferred to watch Leo? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    [spoiler]And then there was the totum at the end, was it going to drop or not...[/spoiler]
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    [spoiler]Open ending wink. You should check out the Recent Viewing thread, there are some theories about it which make it not-so-open.[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    You didn't want to see it for yourself? Or weren't you allowed to come on this girls night out?

edit: NM: just saw you got a pool contest. Good luck! Mel didn't want to support you and preferred to watch Leo? wink

Pool is my big draw cool

Mel's gone with my best friend and his girlfriend.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    [spoiler]Open ending wink. You should check out the Recent Viewing thread, there are some theories about it which make it not-so-open.[/spoiler]

I prefer to keep the ambiguity intact rather than settle on one definite outcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

I prefer to keep the ambiguity intact rather than settle on one definite outcome.

True! But reading and talking about it, is fun. I remember reading a lot about the theories on The Prestige, and LOST, and ... dizzy cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't meet one person yet who's seen it and wasn't somewhat impressed by it; i still haven't seen it but it easily seems like the movie of the year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like franz's theory![spoiler] It also occurred to me that Ariadne was so interested in the story of Mal. Michael's theory makes more sense of it.[/spoiler]
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    Added a bit about the music.

Oh, and the girl is cuuute!

I prefer her in X-Men 3 clad in leather. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    She has the body of a 10 year old. No thanks.
  1. Bregt wrote
    I like franz's theory![spoiler] It also occurred to me that Ariadne was so interested in the story of Mal. Michael's theory makes more sense of it.[/spoiler]

Cool. Noone commented, so I wasn't sure anyone had read it! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Someone posted this video at FSM, a kind of alternate ending. I thought it was funny:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939234
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

Cool. Noone commented, so I wasn't sure anyone had read it! smile

I read it as well and I like your post. I also found some more ideas like that when searching the internet for [spoiler]Ariadne, labyrinth and the names Cobb,[/spoiler] etc.

I would like to comment a little bit on the movie later on and I was hoping that Bregt is OK if I quote all the comments from the Recent Viewing topic in here? I think it fits better here, besides, posts get lost in that huge topic, I couldn't even find it anymore this weekend...

Pffff, now that it's three days ago, I wish I could see the movie again first, before saying anything about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    Sure Bregje. I was a bit confused when I had to go to Recent Viewing for theories, instead of here. dizzy
    Kazoo
  2. I think it's ok to un-spoiler things here, by the way. Just put SPOILER in the thread title. We should be able to speak freely here.

Re: my theory, I think one thing to note about the film is that it has obviously been constructed in such a way that it can support multiple interpretations. (I don't think it does this entirely successfully, as a great deal of its audience seems to be exiting with a very literal interpretation, and it's a bit of a loss of accessibility that it takes the kind of people who overthink movies to find more in it. Something simpler, more emotional, would have been nice. But maybe this would have skewed too close to arthouse drama for the film's budget?)

But anyway, the point is, much as I like my interpretation, it is just an interpretation. It is equally possible to say that what the film says is literally happening is what is literally happening. And I might be giving Nolan too much credit here, but as a story, it seems intentionally constructed to confuse the debate over it. Like a lawyer, little loopholes have been placed in a number of positions to preclude any interpretation achieving monolithic certainty. There will always be something that is excluded - 'what about the alleyway in Mombasa? what about saito touching the totem? what about the fact that it's his wife's totem? what about the fact that the children look the same, have not aged but are wearing different clothing? what about cobb's wedding ring? what about what the actor playing the chemist said in an interview?' And on and on. Each of these become the viewer's totem to figure out if they were being had or not.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    Someone must be pulling a prank on me -- a user by the name 'Inception' sent me a PM about my earlier post about the music. It was signed 'Hans'... I mean, really?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm pretty sure there are more people that go by the name Hans wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ask them what the treble clef is, see what they respond with. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing you can't find on google wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010
    I regret I didn't comment the day after I saw the movie... now it's sinking away a bit, besides I have no time to sit down and write something down either... argh.

Anyway, the internet is full of interpretations and I enjoy reading them. Does someone know some links to reviews where the names are explained further?

I thought the name of Ariadne (and Cobb) was quite obvious. And Mal means crazy, ill, evil.

I just searched for DOM and read it's a hallucinogenic drug. I didn't know that. Effects according to wiki: "Effects of this drug include substantial perceptual changes such as blurred vision, multiple images, vibration of objects, visual hallucinations, distorted shapes, enhancement of details, slowed passage of time, and increased contrasts. It may also cause pupillary dilation and a rise in systolic blood pressure"

Isn't that funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nice...it still makes no sense. dizzy
  3. I wonder which approach to dreams Nolan took.

I mean, the relations of the Mark to his father. They were handled in a rather Jungian fashion. Why the proof of being real was called a totem (Freud wrote a book about totems, didn't he?).

Also, many people noticed that Dom's totem started to wobble right before they cut it. If it's still a dream - whose dream is it? Mal's? Cobb's? Maybe Mal's. The whole scene where Cobb incepts the thought in Mal's dream, basically may render the whole discussion about totems irrelevant. Who did he lie to. Her? Himself?

If he basically incepted the thought to make the totem not fall in Mal's mind, again, why does he trust it so much?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You've lost me completely. dizzy