• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    CHINA SYNDROME, THE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 110
    Date: 1979
    Tracks: 10
    Time = 37:33

One of the best kept secrets in film music is out! World premiere release of never-used Michael Small score for highly-praised, then-timely thriller directed by James Bridges, starring Jane Fonda, Michael Douglas, Jack Lemmon. Tense tale of nuclear plant disaster played incredibly well without any dramatic scoring, but original intent was to have Small add suspense, excitement to grim & eerie proceedings. Small offers terse ideas, keeps pace with pending disaster, then unleashes sensational action cue with "Meltdown!" sequence. While multi-track elements have vanished, Sony fortunately vaulted mono safety copies of entire sessions. Engineering slates and paperwork allowed us to recreate Small's original picture intent as well. Also included is "bonus" section of Small's original source music, used for various TV bumpers (Fonda & Douglas are TV reporters). Michael Small conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 1000 copies!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6011/.f
  1. I think I will get this one. I love the Small sound.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It sounds interesting to me also
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. The film works well without a score, but I'm intrigued to hear what it's like. I like Small's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh. Intrada has already sold out. They must be thrilled.
  2. New Intrada release, not sold out yet. Go figure

KIDCO

Label: Intrada Signature Edition ISE1044
    Date: 1984
    Tracks: 19
    Time = 46:50

World premiere release of hip, flavorful score by Michael Small to relatively obscure Ronald F. Maxwell comedy with hints of drama, starring Scott Schwartz, Tristine Skyler. Small writes for orchestra with additional guitars, synths, brings spirited humor to the fore. Outdoor themes, tinges of Americana around the borders add colorful musical appeal. CD produced by Nick Redman, presented in stereo from mint condition master elements courtesy of 20th Century-Fox. Michael Small conducts. Intrada Special Collection limited to 1000 copies!

01. Main Title 2:48
    02. The Feds 1:49
    03. Stephen Foster 3:56
    04. Colt Roping 0:49
    05. Balls 1:11
    06. We’re In Business 1:51
    07. June No. 1 5:03
    08. Manure Time 1:37
    09. Betty And Neil 1:27
    10. Hot Dog 3:29
    11. Seller’s Permit 1:26
    12. June No. 2 3:22
    13. All For One 1:23
    14. Night Ride 2:25
    15. The Reporters 0:57
    16. Sentences 0:54
    17. Finale 3:22
    18. End Credits 3:12
    19. Main Title (Alternate) 5:27
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 197
    Date: 1981
    Tracks: 27
    Time = 60:20

World premiere release of Michael Small soundtrack for Bob Rafelson filming of noir masterpiece by writer James M. Cain, filmed earlier by Tay Garnett in 1946. 1981 update features Jack Nicholson, Jessica Lange as two lovers on path to murder, betrayal. Michael Small scores for full orchestra, emphasizes smoky film noir elements with dark motifs that slide in, then out, creating tension, finally exploding in violence. In balance is rich, thickly-scored love theme that surges with passion yet plays in minor, keeping pace with sobering mood of complex story. Intrada presents complete score from original 1/2" 3-channel stereo masters, includes score in picture sequence plus several extras recorded by composer at sessions with modest changes for never-materialized album. Released courtesy of Warner Bros., lovingly produced by Lukas Kendall, Neil S. Bulk. Michael Small conducts. Available while supplies and interest remain!

The Album
    01. Main Title 2:50
    02. Frank In Room 1:12
    03. Kitchen Love 3:21
    04. Going To Chicago 2:21
    05. Got To Have You, Frank 1:36
    06. Fuse Box 4:41 Play All
    07. Please Don't Leave Me 2:22
    08. Murder And Push Car 3:35
    09. Doing It In The Dirt 2:14
    10. We Do It 2:18
    11. They Leave Courthouse 3:41
    12. Thinking Of Cora 1:46
    13. You Know What I Learned 1:20
    14. Suspense On Stairs 1:08
    15. They Marry 2:20
    16. Last Drive 2:05
    17. Elegy For Cora 1:16
    18. End Credits 2:15
    Total Album Time 43:14

The Extras
    19. Kitchen Love (Alternate) 3:21
    20. Got To Have You, Frank (Long Version) 1:50
    21. Beat Each Other Up (Alternate) 1:40
    22. Cora Spits (Alternate) 0:40
    23. Thinking Of Cora (Album Version) 1:48
    24. They Marry (Album Version) 1:28
    25. Last Drive (Album Version) 2:19
    26. La Donna E Mobile (Verdi, Arranged M. Small)1:07
    27. La Ci Darem La Mano (Mozart, Arranged M. Small) 2:25
    Total Extras Time 0:17:09
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. As I like to do from time-to-time, browse documentaries and add missing compsoer credits to their IMDb page (or create the page if one doesn't exist), has led me to a discovery: Small scored a Nature documentary.

I searched the name of it and something like half a dozen sites came up, so this really is a forgotten scoring credit.

"Mozu: The Snow Monkey"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBd6_-QhEo
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.