• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I was quite surprised to see that Alan Williams hadn't yet been given his own thread...so here it is.

Underrated, there are several CDs that I have that are excellent, many with great thematic material.

A great place to start hearing some of his music (if you are new to him) is a 2-CD selection "The Cinema Collection"

Titles such as Amazon, Icy Killers, Island of The Sharks, Lion of The Americas and The Princess and The Pea are certainly worth checking out also.

The reason I was looking for an Alan Williams topic was to draw peoples' attention to an upcoming CD that features suites from several short films. I'd heard some music from one of the titles featured on this CD - The Loch - and Williams did tell me to look out for the release of music from this film back in August. And now hear it is.

Alan's own site - SilverscreenMusic - features short clips from the suites and on this basis I'm really looking forward to receiving it soon in the post. Link: Pajama Gladiator and Other Award-Winning Shorts
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    Well, he does have his own thread... or at least borrowing and copying from other composers threads. This guy is even worse than Horner when it comes down to plagiarizing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, he does have his own thread... or at least borrowing and copying from other composers threads. This guy is even worse than Horner when it comes down to plagiarizing!

-Erik-

There are many film composers who are far, far, far worse than Horner. And Williams is at the top of the list (from what I've heard).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The only score of his that I have is Amazon, and it doesn't sound like anything else I know. So he must be ripping off composers I've never heard...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Sometimes I'm glad I haven't listened to as much film music as some posters.

I'll be careful them next time I want to recommend someone's music to people.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009
    I've never heard any Alan Williams....as far as I can remember?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    I've never heard any Alan Williams....as far as I can remember?

You don't have to. You hear a bit of him in everything else you listen to? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sometimes I'm glad I haven't listened to as much film music as some posters.

Hey, I'm sure nobody has a problem with that! Lots of people seem to like his stuff. I can't, on moral grounds (I find it reprehensible that someone would actually accept money for doing what he does), but that's life.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009 edited
    I know

Check out my review:
    http://www.neerlandsfilmdoek.nl/?p=570

And for those who have no idea what language that is... It's like a score that's written for a b-type of action film. He uses pulsating beats, electronics filtered sounds and strange electric guitar effects to fit the poorly edited film. It's pretty messy music. Still Williams manages to create some good atmospheric cues throughout the film.. The best bits are the different takes on a melancholic, theme written for cello and a femal vocal. But these pieces of music are extremely short. Overall pretty average score.
  4. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sometimes I'm glad I haven't listened to as much film music as some posters.

Hey, I'm sure nobody has a problem with that! Lots of people seem to like his stuff. I can't, on moral grounds (I find it reprehensible that someone would actually accept money for doing what he does), but that's life.

I saw the responses just at the wrong time - other things on my mind.

I'm not too keen on modifying comments so I apologise for appearing to "fly off the handle". shame