• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Mark Isham has been scoring for the past 20 years starting with smaller more intimate films. He has moved to higher profile films and has scored 7 films this year: Freedom Writers, Next, Gracie, Reservation Road, In the Valley of Elah, Lions for Lambs and The Mist.
    Isham goes from electronic to jazz to orchestral and from different film genres with a certain ease.

His website:

http://www.isham.com/container03.html

Next film: Pride and Glory To be released in march-april 2008

IMDB:
    A saga centered on a multi-generational family of New York City Police officers. The family's moral codes are tested when Ray Tierney (Edward Norton), investigates a case that reveals an incendiary police corruption scandal involving his own brother-in-law (Colin Farrell). For Ray, the truth is revelatory, a Pandora's Box that threatens to upend not only the Tierney legacy but the entire NYPD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    For anyone interested, here's my review for MARK ISHAM's powerful and emotional score to LIONS FOR LAMBS

http://christodoulides.blogspot.com/200 … lambs.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Maybe someone here can answer this, but back in 2004 he was listed to score a film called "Shadows", but there is no film in his IMDB page called that. I looked around IMDB and there are two films called that; one from 2004 and ther other from 2005, and neither has a composer listed.

Anyone know what's what here?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    THE MIST | CD COVER (a rather excellent one i must say)

https://www.colosseum.de/colosseum/imag … 8_pic1.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    THE MIST:

1. Won´t Somebody See A Lady Home (1:24)
    2. Tentacles (3:18)
    3. Bugs (7:49)
    4. Mist (1:32)
    5. Spiders (4:26)
    6. Expiation (2:24)
    7. The Host of Seraphim (Performed by Dead Can Dance, Written by Perry / Gerrard, Special film version including additional material composed by Mark Isham) (7:19)
    8. The Vicious Blues (from Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle composed by Mark Isham) (3:48)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    La-La-Land released Point Break for the first time.
    http://lalalandrecords.com/PointBreak.html

Limited Edition 2000 Units.

Released here for the first time in any format, La-La Land Records presents acclaimed composer MARK ISHAM’S (A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, THE COOLER, THE MIST) score to the 1991 cult classic action film POINT BREAK, directed by Kathyrn Bigelow, starring Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey and Lori Petty and executive produced by James Cameron. Isham’s powerful, soaring blend of orchestra and synth skillfully interprets and bolsters the film’s adrenaline-laced action sequences and awe-inspiring surfing and skydiving set-pieces, resulting in one of the most notable action scores of the 90’s. Exclusive liner notes by Dan Goldwasser incorporate comments from both the director and composer. Limited Edition of 2000 Units.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008 edited
    vomit A typical and uninteresting action score by Isham from the early 90s. That is La La-Land "most elaborate" release ever... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I started watching the film once but it was too bad for me to continue. Don't remember the score. Might check it out because I do like Isham in general.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is it me, or is Next a complete rip off of Paycheck?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Anthony wrote
    Is it me, or is Next a complete rip off of Paycheck?

No I am with you. Next is a complete and totaly tiresome rip off of Paycheck. Just like Zanelli's Hitman compared to the Bourne scores by Powell.
  2. Dom wrote
    vomit A typical and uninteresting action score by Isham from the early 90s. That is La La-Land "most elaborate" release ever... rolleyes

Well, I heard the bootleg (shorter version) or even SFX rip (don't know anymore) and I must say, it has a couple of great synth laden Drop Zone cues, and those are really addictive. So uninteresting I wouldn't call it. Yet I heard the shorter release and a longer score can definitely bore more so, wait and see wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    POINT BREAK is a GREAT score, and I'm not even an Isham fan (I have exactly ZERO soundtracks of his in my collection at the present time). I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I'd had the money. Another superb release from LaLaLand!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    ... I'm not even an Isham fan (I have exactly ZERO soundtracks of his in my collection at the present time)....

I can understand this to some extent, but you mustn't be much of a fan of jazz-based scoring? (Isham and Terence Blanchard are probably the two strongest living proponents in American cinema.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
    Well yeah, I do like jazz scores, but usually FULL-FLEDGED, genuine, pure jazz stuff a la Schifrin, Williams, Mancini etc. My opinion is that Isham uses his jazz background in almost every type of score and film, so that the jazz kinda "seeps" through a non-jazz idiom and it becomes neither foul nor fish - a bastard creation, if you will. But I do like some of his New Agey material, even though that - too - is ripe with jazz harmonies.

But hey, it's been a long time since I made this "evaluation" of his work, based on a series of bum purchases. Maybe it's time I begin to check him out again?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. If you do... go for THE COOLER or AFTERGLOW. They're of the purer jazz variety. AFTERGLOW is the more mellow of the two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    OK, thanks. I owned THE QUIZ SHOW once, but didn't like it much. I assumed that was Isham at his most "pure jazz-ish"?!?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hmmm... listen to some clips from THE COOLER then, not AFTERGLOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    Quiz Show isn't really Isham at his purest jazz. That would be Afterglow or Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle (both of which are five-star albums, I reckon). As I've said on numerous occasions before, I had the pleasure of seeing Isham playing some of his (non-film) jazz music live, once. A great experience. He's a world class jazz trumpeter.
  6. A new Mark Isham interview.

I'd love to invite you to read the new interview with Mark Isham published on FilmMusic.pl. The original English version starts just below the Polish one. Enjoy!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    Sweet, thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    OK, no pun intended: Mark Isham scores

THE WOMEN

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … women.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    OK, no pun intended: Mark Isham scores

THE WOMEN

Hihi biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    Lucky bastard! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Apparantly Jan De Bont is making Point Break: Indo (yay, sequel... rolleyes ).

This could be interesting... dizzy
  7. Don't forget Racing Stripes/The Black Dahila (Chinatown's bigger/more melodramatic cousin).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    Racing Stripes is very, VERY good and Black Dahlia is a pure gem. I completely agree.
  8. PRIDE AND GLORY
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Mark Isham

Edward Norton
    Colin Farrell

Edward Norton and Colin Farrell star in PRIDE AND GLORY, an authentic, gritty and emotional portrait of the New York City Police Department. The film follows a multi-generational police family whose moral code is tested when one of two sons on the force investigates an incendiary case involving his older brother and brother-in-law. The case forces the family to choose between their loyalties to one another and their loyalties to the department.

Mark Isham delivers a dark, gritty and foreboding score.

Warner Bros. opens PRIDE AND GLORY on October 24.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 931 2 /
    Release Date: 10/21/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    Antineutrino wrote
    Mark Isham delivers a dark, gritty and foreboding score.

Considering his most recent output, I can't say that really excites me one bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mark? Nah, his scores are most of the times above the usual stuff that gets out. Some of them, recent examples like THE BLACK DAHLIA for instance are WAY above in all terms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    No, I love The Black Dahlia, I was referring to the borefests that were Reservation Road, The Valley Of Elah and Gracie.