• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    Granted that it's October (and the U.S. means Halloween month), I figure it's the perfect time to list the scores perfect for this month. I know not everyone celebrates Halloween, but I think you guys know what I mean: scary movie scores.

Here's my personal favorites:

Trick 'R' Treat (Douglas Pipes)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes (James Horner)
    Hocus Pocus (John Debney)
    The Halloween Tree (John Debney)
    Dracula (John Williams)
    Sleepy Hollow (Danny Elfman)
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Patrick Doyle)

Any others I'm missing?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    Well, I mean scores that convey the spirit of Halloween, not just scary movies. Debney's The Halloween Tree and Hocus Pocus aren't horror scores.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited
    But Halloween is all about scary movies and those other threads perfectly cover most of the Halloween music that would have been discussed in this thread.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Well, I mean scores that convey the spirit of Halloween, not just scary movies. Debney's The Halloween Tree and Hocus Pocus aren't horror scores.

Eh? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Chiller CD from Telarc with Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops is a good one for Halloween.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Matt C wrote

Eh? confused

I think he means scores that aren't just scary, but perhaps devilish too. As he said, Hocus Pocus isn't a horror score, but it's very fitting for Halloween. Something like John Williams' The Witches of Eastwick is very fitting too, but not necessarily a horror score. Halloween tends to be more devilish than horrific.

But since I abhor just about everything to do with Halloween (except these fine scores), that's about all I've got to say on the matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Re-reading it now I don't know why I didn't understand it last night? shame

I'll blame it on not wearing my reading glasses....computer screen gets a bit much for my eyes after awhile.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The new Young, Drag Me To Hell is quite good as far as the violin/devil is concerned.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    The new Young, Drag Me To Hell is quite good as far as the violin/devil is concerned.
    Thomas

Quite agree with Tom here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy
  1. I'd certainly be tempted to stick with the older "tried and trusted" scores here. I've had a quick listen to more recent titles such as the Children of The Corn remake, Trick 'r Treat and The Hills Run Red and they're not too inspiring. Or scary.

I'd probably go for Pipes' Trick 'r Treat out of the three. And it was interesting to hear what Elias/Morgan have done to update the Children of The Corn theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    I agree Alan
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011 edited
    Listening to Fright Night today (ook!shocked It's terrible! Aside from the brilliant "Come To Me" track -used as the theme and the seduction scene- there's little of redeeming value. Very Fiedel-common synthesizer noise) and watching Night Of The Demon (just in on DVD) tonight! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Urgh. Can't stand this (Fright Night CD. What a misfire buy! cry ). Switching to my own three Horror, Vampire and Monsters playlists.
    Aaaahhhhhh....that's better.

love Ferris' The Witchfinder General just popped up!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011
    I have a really creepy recording of the main themes of the firebird suite/stravinsky being played on the theremin.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

That does sound rather eerie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is really quite good.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We don't celebrate Halloween over here (well, lots of people do, but to me it just comes off as desperate, cheap versions of the American original....I avoid Halloween parties like the plague!). And I don't listen much to horror film music.

BUT.....Elliot Goldenthal's PET SEMATARY is and will forever be one of the most scary scores I've ever heard.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Urgh. Can't stand this (Fright Night CD. What a misfire buy! cry ). Switching to my own three Horror, Vampire and Monsters playlists.
    Aaaahhhhhh....that's better.

love Ferris' The Witchfinder General just popped up!

That theme is so lovely it hurts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Listening to Fright Night today (ook!shocked It's terrible! Aside from the brilliant "Come To Me" track -used as the theme and the seduction scene- there's little of redeeming value. Very Fiedel-common synthesizer noise) and watching Night Of The Demon (just in on DVD) tonight! love

I'd happily watch NIGHT OF THE DEMON again tonight but Mel hasn't the appetite to watch it again within two weeks of having last seen it. rolleyes I just know it's only a matter of time before Hollywood makes an awful updated ( ie: modern day ) remake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, why is there an 'S' as an avatar to my name?!? I didn't change it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    spooky!
  2. I'll listen to the only horror score I seem to own - The Final Conflict, while doing some necessary research. I feel like listening to an original CD rather than mp3s.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'll listen to the only horror score I seem to own - The Final Conflict, while doing some necessary research. I feel like listening to an original CD rather than mp3s.

Not even Kilar's DRACULA? Zimmer's HANNIBAL? Young's HELLRAISER? Williams THE FURY? Horner's ALIENS? Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW? RZA's STEALTH?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Since I live in an apartment building I won't have any goblins coming to the door. But I will play this Firebird Suite for theremin tonight.
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'll listen to the only horror score I seem to own - The Final Conflict, while doing some necessary research. I feel like listening to an original CD rather than mp3s.

Not even Kilar's DRACULA? Zimmer's HANNIBAL? Young's HELLRAISER? Williams THE FURY? Horner's ALIENS? Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW? RZA's STEALTH?

I have Hannibal, but I don't treat it as a proper horror movie. One of my first buys, that one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You may not treat it like a horror movie but there's no doubt that it is one.
  4. Timmer wrote
    You may not treat it like a horror movie but there's no doubt that it is one.

It's not a proper horror film. More an over-eager drama.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. A failed psychological thriller, I'd say.