• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Or series 10 as they call it over there, has been officially announced: it's a go

Scripts are being written, and it will be filmed next year.

Series creator Naylor said month back that if a new series came, season 9 would be skipped, and so it is.

Fellow smegheads, rejoice!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009
    Did you see the recent three-episode "season"? I thought it was pretty awful really. Have very fond memories of the show.
  2. Yeah, "Back to Earth" special was quite disappointing, but the third part did pick up sugnificantly (while still falling short of regular series goodness).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    WOOHOO!!!!!

It's bound to be a disappointment, but more Red Dwarf is always welcome.

Peter punkpunkpunk
  3. Not a full season, as I recall. Only something like 6 episodes (maybe more later?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    With all the main actors?

Peter cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hopefully including that woman. Was it Sophie Winkelman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009 edited
    *deleted post* moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I saw a couple of episodes of this back in the 80's, I think, when we had Sky Channel and Super Channel. Kinda charming in that "cheap" DR. WHO/comedy sci fi mode that the Brits excel at. Is this supposed to be a more extravagant "re-launch" of the series, like they did with WHO in 2005?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. No, this is a continuation. The "Back to Earth" special was like ten years after the last episode, and this new one is supposed to be a few years after BtE (as I recall). No relaunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    No, this is a continuation. The "Back to Earth" special was like ten years after the last episode, and this new one is supposed to be a few years after BtE (as I recall). No relaunch.

Sorry, I'm not really into this like you, but are you saying that it's been ten years since the last episode of RED DWARF, and that it will now pick up where it left off, with the exact same actors and production values?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    No, this is a continuation. The "Back to Earth" special was like ten years after the last episode, and this new one is supposed to be a few years after BtE (as I recall). No relaunch.

Sorry, I'm not really into this like you, but are you saying that it's been ten years since the last episode of RED DWARF, and that it will now pick up where it left off, with the exact same actors and production values?

I think the same amount of time has passed in the story (10 years) as in real life since the last episode. The production values in the recent special were, if anything, rather lower than they used to be, believe it or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    I wonder why they feel they should resurrect the show after such a long time?
    After all, the characters were such pastiches (however fond I was of them) that there seems little point in bringing them back together again to do same Chicken Vindaloo & underpants jokes (which at the time I thought were hilarious. ANd in fact I still enjoy watching the show on DVD, but it belongs squarely back in the late eighties.)

I dearly love Red Dwarf and its characters, but really: it's run its course.
    To resurrect it now feels rather odd. It would be like doing a third Fawlty Towers season all of a sudden.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    I wonder why they feel they should resurrect the show after such a long time?

Well, isn't the answer to all relevant movents, always: money?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I doubt it.
    Feels far more like misplaced nostalgia. "Catering to the thirty-somethings and make them relive their youth".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    ..........aaaaaaaaandd give us their moneys for this wink It's not a bad thing, it's what drives the industry afteral.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The BBC is not a commercial station.
    If there's any money at all into it, it's just the writer (and/or cast) cashing in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    Really? First time i hear that....our corresponding government-owned tv station here in Greece has the largest budgets and funding of all the other privately-owned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This isn't being done for the BBC... they didn't want it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ISN'T?
    W-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l now.

Who's picking it up then?

On first sght I'm inclined to agree with the BBC. If this series is to be revived, I'm guessing a reboot (a la Doctor Who) would be way more proper...but I doubt the old format would still work. And an earlier attempt at making the series more a comedy-drama (series 7, if I remember correctly) failed miserably...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's being produced for a tv channel called Dave (yes, we have a tv channel called Dave).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dave can be pretty good, at least they show old episodes of QI
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. SMEGGIN' NEWS

Official trailer for Series 10:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qQ_twvleg
  6. Airing October 4th. No idea when it will air over here in the U.S.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012
    Looks promising. Glad that they lost the Kochanski character (which was one of the main problems with seasons 7 and 8), and that they are back on Red Dwarf (instead of the Starbug stuff in seasons 6 and 7). Four guys alone on huge ship, that's what Red Dwarf is all about, in my mind.

And the episode descriptions sounds like classic Red Dwarf.

Peter smile
  7. First new episode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUE5asv3Tyw

It's fairly slow picking up, but about halfway in it starts picking up pace, and around the end it's very, very close to the good old RD we knew.

Rimmer is obviously older. Cat, too, who hasnt' fully gotten back into character, and Kryton obviously has gained some weight (do I see little design changes, too, on him?). MIA: Holly (no explination given). Referenced, but not seen: Kochanski (seems to say she's not dead, and not on the ship)
    Lister seems to age very, very slowly, though aged nonetheless.

The ending is good stuff. Also nice to see Howard Goodall back, though I only counted about four or five new cues.

Second:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSNsTMNzt3I

Reference to a new computer being put in, so Holly is offline (or maybe they couldn't sign the actor or later actress -- who knows). The new ship's computer, if you thought Holly was a screw up, proves it can be worse.

It's more just "fun" to watch than funny, and picks up an old plot thread from the original run.

The third episode is supposed to air the 18th.

Over all, still glad to have the show back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    Watched both of them when they aired. Quite nice to see it back - and by no means awful like the last attempt at bringing it back - but I don't remember laughing once during either episode.
  8. I'm reading that episode 3, "Lemons", is supposed to be where it takes off and really starts getting funny. I hope. I want more RD.

I also read a story as to why Holly isn't back, and it sadly seems he won't be unless the actor gets over himself.