• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. AMERICAN GANGSTER
    Original Motion Picture Score

Music Composed by Marc Streitenfeld

Directed by Ridley Scott

Also includes three original songs by Hank Shocklee

Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Brian Grazer, Steve Zaillian and Ridley Scott team to tell the true juggernaut success story of a cult hero from the streets of 1970s Harlem in American Gangster.

Nobody used to notice Frank Lucas (Oscar® winner Washington), the quiet driver to one of the inner city's leading black crime bosses. But when his boss suddenly dies, Frank exploits the opening in the power structure to build his own empire and create his own version of the American Dream. Through ingenuity and a strict business ethic, he comes to rule the inner-city drug trade, flooding the streets with a purer product at a better price. Lucas outplays all of the leading crime syndicates and becomes not only one of the city's mainline corrupters, but part of its circle of legit civic superstars. Richie Roberts (Oscar® winner Crowe) is an outcast cop close enough to the streets to feel a shift of control in the drug underworld. Roberts believes someone is climbing the rungs above the known Mafia families and starts to suspect that a black power player has come from nowhere to dominate the scene.

Both Lucas and Roberts share a rigorous ethical code that sets them apart from their own colleagues, making them lone figures on opposite sides of the law. The destinies of these two men will become intertwined as they approach a confrontation where only one of them can come out on top.

Washington (Training Day) and Crowe (Gladiator) lead a spectacular cast of accomplished and rising stars — including Chiwetel Ejiofor, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Josh Brolin, Armand Assante, RZA, John Ortiz, John Hawkes and Ted Levine — in this blistering tale of a true American entrepreneur directed by Oscar® nominee Ridley Scott (Gladiator) and produced by Academy Award® winner Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind) and Scott from a screenplay by Academy Award® winner Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List).

Newcomer Marc Streitenfeld contributes a sprawling score that is at turns both aggressive and beautiful.

Catalog #: 302 066 874 2
    Release Date: 02/19/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Cool, finally it has a release date after the score album was already annouced for next year by his publicist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Cover for AMERICAN GANGSTER (score):
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/show_img … -066-874-2

Tracklisting:
    1. The Process (2:12)
    2. Frank Lucas (2:40)
    3. Hundred Percent Pure (2:11)
    4. Fire (1:54)
    5. The Arrival (1:03)
    6. Suspects (2:01)
    7. Caskets (2:41)
    8. Kill No Cop (2:20)
    9. Shakedown (1:24)
    10. Turkeys (1:49)
    11. The Fight (3:16)
    12. Headlights (2:19)
    13. The Raid (3:20)
    14. The Morgue (1:30)
    15. Chinchilla Coat (2:42)

Bonus source tracks:
    16. Afro Beat - Written by Hank Shocklee (1:45)
    17. Back To Bangkok Blues - Written by Harry Garfield (2:09)
    18. Hallway - Written by Hank Shocklee (1:42)

Source:
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D874%2D2
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Composer Marc Streitenfeld recently recorded his score to Ridley Scott's newest film, House of Lies. This spy thriller will be out this October, and ScoringSessions.com has exclusive photographs from the recording sessions at Warner Bros!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/141/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    BODY OF LIES
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Marc Streitenfeld

Leonardo DiCaprio
    Russell Crowe

The new film from
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Director of
    AMERICAN GANGSTER, GLADIATOR, BLADE RUNNER, ALIEN

Fresh off of their success with director Martin Scorsese’s The Departed, star Leonardo DiCaprio and screenwriter William Monahan team with director Ridley Scott for this screen adaptation of David Ignatius’ novel Body of Lies.

When CIA operative Roger Ferris (DiCaprio) uncovers evidence indicating that a major terrorist leader may be operating out of Jordan, he enlists the aid of CIA veteran Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe) in infiltrating the elusive saboteur’s vast underground network. During the course of his dangerous mission, Ferris gradually comes to question how much he can trust his presumed allies — who include not just Hoffman, but the outwardly helpful head of Jordanian intelligence as well.

Marc Streitenfeld (American Gangster) provides the intense and exotic score.

Warner Bros. opens Body of Lies on October 10.

302 066 923 2
    Release Date: 10/07/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    *yawn*
    American Gangster was one of the most boring experiences I've ever had in a film, score-wise. Nothing wrong with the film itself, but the music could have been SO much more creative. Wallpaper indeed.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Ridley Scott is directing a new sci-fi film, "Brave New World", after "Nottingham". So, unless he thinks Streitenfeld can't do it and goes to Zimmer, I guess this will be a future project and a test of the composer's abilities.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Nottingham is on indefinite hold, as far as I know.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Now Scott is also going to do this space film:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 3&cs=1
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    What I started to realized after A Good Year, is that I'm not interested in Ridley Scott's movie anymore when Hans isn't on board. And that Marc Streitenfeld music for Ridley Scott's movie fails to generate any sort of excitement from me as a listener.

I do hope that this will change though.
  5. But then you lose good material! American Gangster is a REALLY good movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But then you lose good material! American Gangster is a REALLY good movie.

You do have a point. I do have the movie, just not interested enough to watch it. The score is too non-descript to inform me of the quality of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Amerigan Gangster is indeed a very strong movie, with a snoozer score.

Lp, is A GOOD YEAR any good? I was planning to watch this like......forever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

The film is OK, but kinda cheesy (which is appropriate, since it's about wine).

Scott simply doesn't do comedy very well, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wine? Comedy? I'm off.
  6. A very European movie, really. I loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

As a romantic comedy, it's not really good. As a light drama and a light romance with gorgeous cinematography, it's good. The wine element is central to the story so it might be worth it for you. Kinda fluffy, kinda cute, but not much else. The music fits the movie the same way American Gangster seems to do, as underscore, with some nice moments, but doesn't do very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Scott's visual style is one of the reasons why he's one of my favourite directors of all time, and when it works within a genre that suits it and is allowed the room to "breathe", he really shines. But within comedies, it too often feels crampled and forced; quite "heavy-handed". I felt the same thing with MATCHSTICK MEN as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matchstick men was quite odd, but enjoyable, at least to me. But from what i gather A GOOD YEAR is very sacharine in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't like Matchstick Men very much. I find most Scott films (exception being Alien) work wonderfully well with the sound turned down, because they look so gorgeous but have such terrible (in some cases I need to say "use of") music.
  7. Thor wrote
    Scott's visual style is one of the reasons why he's one of my favourite directors of all time, and when it works within a genre that suits it and is allowed the room to "breathe", he really shines. But within comedies, it too often feels crampled and forced; quite "heavy-handed". I felt the same thing with MATCHSTICK MEN as well.

I didn't feel the movies were heavy-handed. Matchstick Men was a rather dark film with serious undertones, so the "heavy-handedness" feeling might have been due to the specific character Cage played.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

I didn't feel the movies were heavy-handed. Matchstick Men was a rather dark film with serious undertones, so the "heavy-handedness" feeling might have been due to the specific character Cage played.

I watched the documentary on the film and they stated that the movie was originally suppose to be a comedy, and then got all serious after they started editing it. There was a short segment with Hans too. Don't remember much else about it.
  8. There is a lot of humor in it, still. It's just VERY dark for its genre and not only because the character is a con artist. The idea of a con artist having mental issues that feature complete lack of confidence is comical in and of itself and Cage plays it off well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a lot of humor in it, still. It's just VERY dark for its genre and not only because the character is a con artist. The idea of a con artist having mental issues that feature complete lack of confidence is comical in and of itself and Cage plays it off well.

Yeah, Nicholas Cage did a really good job with the movie. The music got it right. But then it got all serious right after he is kidnapped. Not a bad movie overall, but it's a bit inconsistent and leave a bit to be desired. A Good Year succeeded in that regard, maintaining a consistent tone that allows you to get into it a bit more.
  9. Hey guys

Here's my review of BODY OF LIES. It's a pretty dull score, unfortunately slant

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/bodyliescd.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Hey guys

Here's my review of BODY OF LIES. It's a pretty dull score, unfortunately slant

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/bodyliescd.htm

Nobody expected anything else, i am sure. A very wrong choice of composer it seems, and not only for this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Oh. I just read that he is scoring Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Ridley, Ridley... I honestly thought your composer choices simply couldn't get any worse. Your inexplicable fondness for this composer has proved me wrong.
  10. Hey.... Does anyone know where I can buy "A Good Year" promo? I need it for a gift... wink
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    I get it; you're trying to break up with your gf, right? Or take revenge on the ex?
  11. Southall wrote
    Oh. I just read that he is scoring Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Ridley, Ridley... I honestly thought your composer choices simply couldn't get any worse. Your inexplicable fondness for this composer has proved me wrong.

well, so much for a potential good score face-palm-mt

and to realize there are so many good composers out there who are struggling to get back on track
    this is what's killing filmmusic
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh