• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote

the problem with Robin Hood is, the more you hear music in general, the more you want to be inspired, surprised, wowed, and Robin Hood is so generic and simple it's hard to find even one of these 3

I agree that it's none of those things. I am however entertained by it. And it's not so long that I get bored either. I must admit I don't listen to a lot of new scores these days, so maybe there's a lot of stuff out there sounding like this, but it seemed much better than anything else the composer had written, and it's not nearly as heavy-handed and overwrought as the 'dramatic' parts of GLADIATOR.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

the problem with Robin Hood is, the more you hear music in general, the more you want to be inspired, surprised, wowed, and Robin Hood is so generic and simple it's hard to find even one of these 3

I agree that it's none of those things. I am however entertained by it. And it's not so long that I get bored either. I must admit I don't listen to a lot of new scores these days, so maybe there's a lot of stuff out there sounding like this, but it seemed much better than anything else the composer had written, and it's not nearly as heavy-handed and overwrought as the 'dramatic' parts of GLADIATOR.

No, it really doesn't sound quite like anything else that's come out recently. It's a lot more fun than most of the recent RC stuff. And at least it has an upbeat and hummable main theme! I am entertained by it too.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. I'm glad you both like it, bot as said for me Robin Hood holds nothing new, and nothing of interest
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Finally managed to listen to Robin Hood today - and I quite enjoyed it. I'm quite partial to the rhythmically driven sound I'm hearing with this one. So I'm happy!

BTW, the "Scottish bagpipe music" mentioned in the review sounds more like Uilleann pipes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Which means it's more Irish. Or did Streitenfeld repeat Horner's Braveheart mistake?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Finally managed to listen to Robin Hood today - and I quite enjoyed it. I'm quite partial to the rhythmically driven sound I'm hearing with this one. So I'm happy!

BTW, the "Scottish bagpipe music" mentioned in the review sounds more like Uilleann pipes.

good for you that you enjoyed it, it seems this score continues to divide the impressions

as for the bagpipe / uillieann pipes, I honestly wouldn't know
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Does it help if I say I absolutely love it? biggrin

I love the inclusion of medieval and british instruments, the variety of styles used, the moaning woman, the DaVinci/Transformers influenced themes, the fun parts, the action parts (EXCLUDING that moment where Charge meets Clash, which just sounds as if someone changed from one radio station to another), and the overall mood of the score.

Like the variety in all those Robin Hood TV and movie stories, I love the variety in their scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Does it help if I say I absolutely love it? biggrin

I love the inclusion of medieval and british instruments, the variety of styles used, the moaning woman, the DaVinci/Transformers influenced themes, the fun parts, the action parts (EXCLUDING that moment where Charge meets Clash, which just sounds as if someone changed from one radio station to another), and the overall mood of the score.

Like the variety in all those Robin Hood TV and movie stories, I love the variety in their scores.

I agree totally! beer
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010
    streitenfeld's score is for me one of the big surprises of 2010. i love the themes, the use of solo instruments and the fact that the music is and sounds like a real orchestral score. the music captures the setting of the movie very well. on cd the music ist a fantastic listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Marc Streitenfeld - Welcome to the Rileys

info / sound clips
    http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en

Samuel Goldwyn Films and Destination Films present Welcome To The Rileys in select theaters on October 29, 2010. Welcome to the Rileys – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on Lakeshore Records will be released digitally and in stores on November 2, 2010.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Most disappointing news of the week:

Ain’t It Cool News is reporting that Marc Streitenfeld will be scoring Ridley Scott’s upcoming sci-fi epic Prometheus.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/12/14 … rometheus/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Most disappointing news of the week:

Ain’t It Cool News is reporting that Marc Streitenfeld will be scoring Ridley Scott’s upcoming sci-fi epic Prometheus.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/12/14 … rometheus/

Old news, but as we've talked about elsewhere -- I'll await judgement untill the movie is here. I've been lukewarm to Streitenfeld so far (liked some, indifferent to others), but you never know. I never thought Shore would be able to deliver on LOTR either, and I was SOOO wrong.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    I think everybody was expecting Streitenfeld to come back. Was anyone else attached at some point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Blu wrote
    I think everybody was expecting Streitenfeld to come back. Was anyone else attached at some point?

I don't think so, no. But Justin is the expert on these things.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There were serious talks with Abel Korzeniowski based on an animation score he did, but it didn't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blu wrote

Out of all the composers out there..
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Demetris wrote

Does it even matter? Whoever gets this gig at the end has a major battle to win against temp-tracks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blu wrote
    Demetris wrote

Does it even matter? Whoever gets this gig at the end has a major battle to win against temp-tracks!

Well, true; but some do still manage to inject their scores and temp track battles with some of their own sound; Streitenfield hasn't showed the slightest glimpse of personal identity or trademarked characteristics so far. Apart from BODY OF LIES which was pretty kick ass for anyone who loves Middle Eastern instrumentation as much as i do; and it was somewhat thematic as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I actually think it would have been good if Zimmer scored this, his more mature sound would be appropriate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited
    I'd enjoy it too, i guess it's a project that would benefit from Z's Dark Knight / Inception mannerisms and sound design.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I'd enjoy it too, i guess it's a project that would benefit from Z's Dark Knight / Inception mannerisms and sound design.

That's exactly what I was thinking, throw in his RING and HANNIBAL too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Hannibal. Yeah, and Ring as well; i miss those sounds; I really wish he gets quickly over his 'mash the pirates of the caribbean material' for every movie there is - phase.
  8. Well, I think that the new sound of Zimmer is really showcased by Inception, rather than Pirates 4 and Sherlock 2 or Rango which is basically a spaghetti western homage.

When it comes to Streitenfeld, I do like American Gangster actually. It has a pretty interesting identity and Frank Lucas *is* a theme smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    I think that too about Zimmer. I don't like his re-takes on the potc material; they feel tired and cliched to the top; like sherlock holmes 2. Dead horse.

As for the Prometheus film, here's a tasty teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjBzqmyk44
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    Demetris wrote

The way that was edited was a bit... condescending?

"Oh, they must be making another Alien film. How exciting!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011 edited
    Demetris wrote

Oeh, another Alien film, exciting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/pr … /trailer-b

Want
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

It looks absolutely fantastic, doesn't it?

This is the biggest film event of the year for me (heck, maybe in 10 years).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. For some reason the whole 'let's go back to the origins of life' thing has me thinking of another reasonably cinematic but strongly maligned film from another highly visual director... MISSION TO MARS.
    And Noomi Rapace's character could be Jodie Foster in CONTACT a bit also.

Still, Scott's ALIEN is far and away one of the best films of its kind ever. I'm more than interested to see this.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    MISSION TO MARS has some good things in it, as does CONTACT, but they both falter miserably towards the end. By the way, I read CONTACT awhile back, and all I can say is that the movie was far better!
    I am extremely serious.