• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    It's Halloween season so what are the moments on film or TV that have scared you?

And let's keep this to fantasy rather than real life events.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Takashi Shimizu´s "Ju-on" (2002). It scared the shit out of me when I watched it the first time. Specially Toshio´s appearances.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Never heard of it Marcel!? Thanks for kick-starting this thread off though beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    You might know its american remake, "The Grudge" (2004).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    As a kid Lamberto Bava's Demons scared me so bad that after only getting 20 minutes into the film I was in tears. I do own the film now... I told that story to a good friend of mine and he bought me the movie for my birthday a few years back... and I have watched it. It's silly but I can see why it would disturb an 8 year old. Pretty gory and very graphic.

The Exorcist is, IMHO, still the scariest film I've ever seen. I watch it around this time and it still give me the creeps. The soundtrack, especially the Penderecki music, is some of the most bizarre stuff I've ever heard.

Poltergeist is scary in a fun way. No gore (minus pizza face), no blood, no slasher on the loose killing everyone... just a brilliant script by Spielberg, excellent cast, great direction (by Spielberg) and one of the great scores ever composed for the genre.

I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few years ago and it is incredibly disturbing. It has a snuff film quality to it. The torture of the young girl near the end of the film is something you never forget.

Prince of Darkness was another film I saw as a kid and the "message from the future" was some eerie shit!

Aliens was another one I saw as a kid and after wards I couldn't sleep for a week.

The Thing is something I've only seen recently and IMHO it holds up very well. Great effects work and wonderful direction by Carpenter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm old enough to have gone and seen Psycho in the theater when it first came out.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I'm old enough to have gone and seen Psycho in the theater when it first came out.
    Thomas

That must have been some experience. Tell us more... please.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    As a kid Lamberto Bava's Demons scared me so bad that after only getting 20 minutes into the film I was in tears. I do own the film now... I told that story to a good friend of mine and he bought me the movie for my birthday a few years back... and I have watched it. It's silly but I can see why it would disturb an 8 year old. Pretty gory and very graphic.

-Erik-

I also watched this one as a kid and became a personal favourite of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    When I noticed the topic title and saw the initiator, I was kinda worried this would be a thread filled with 6+-legged arthropods...

It's not often that entire films scared me when I was a wee lad. It's far more a single image or scene that kept me awake at night.

A couple of the ones I remember most vividly then -but for sure there were more- :
    There's a scene at the beginning of Hammer's Dracula , where Jonathan Harker discovers the crypt where Dracula and his henchwoman/disciple sleep.
    He opens both coffins and we see both vampires at rest. Harker proceeds to drive a stake through the girl's heart.
    He then turns around and looks into Dracula's coffin.
    It's empty.

He turns around and through the gallery sees a shadow move through the hallway towards the only door.
    Dracula then closes the door.
    End of scene.

That scene horrified me.
    That utter terror of knowing your end approaches, and there's nothing you can do as your only escape route is blocked is something that sends shievrs up my spine to this very day.

------------

Another scene that stuck with me was from Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.
    The film was broadcast on a German channel and dubbed, and I couldn't understand a word of it (and hence didn't get it was a comedy. At all.).

Komeda's mind-scratching soundtrack, together with some of the most eerie imagery I'd seen (Gogol eating the wolf, Yoshi being frozen stiff, the Count peeking in through the bathroom window; the scenery, colour and lighting in general) caused me nightmares for years.

------------

Yet another thing that really spooked me when I was young, was the very first episode of Sapphire and Steel: the one where Time breaks through in a 17th century house and employs old nursery rhymes to manifest itself. The build-up of terror with minimal means (Time's main vehicle were light spots, evidently projected by a flashlight), coupled with the innate children's fear of losing your parents...and having them substituted by something unnameable proved too much for this young heart.
    To this day, the nursery rhyme of "Ring a Ring o' Roses" elicits a reaction of absolute and undeflectable dread in me...

======================
    Other films that scared me include the old The Thing (From Another World) and Night Of The Demon (hmmmm...in both the "monster" is hardly seen...do I detect a pattern here?)

In my later years (18+), only two films succeeded in really scaring the holy bejeesus out of me (and when I say scare, I mean scare. As in being in fear for you life or your sanity. Not some zombie going "boo!". Sure, that'll shock me as it will the next guy, but that's not scary.)

One was the original The Haunting, the other one was The Blair Witch Project.

The latter one surprised me as my fear really only culminated once I'd gone to bed, about two hours after having seen the film. Lying there, mulling the film over in my mind, I was going over the ending and suddenly realized what it meant that the bloke was standing in the corner.

It's an overused and cliched phrase...but I completely freaked out.
    I was honestly scared out of my wits. It was a good four hours later (and light creeping in) before I could get to -a very restless- sleep.

A story -I'm sure I told this before- concerning my first view of The Haunting, was that while I was watching it (and were about half-way through), my cat, who up till then had been sleepig on the couch next to me, for no apparent reason JUMPED up and started staring INTENSELY at a point just over my left shoulder.
    That, my friends, is not something that is even vaguely amusing when watching this film, and it made for a couple of the most uncomfortable minutes of my life.

After that, she just turned around and went to sleep again.
    To this day I wonder what she was thinking...

======

Anyway, based on the above I've been thinking what it is that really has the power to terrify me.
    What I can come up with is that my main dread involves being utterly alone and helpless against an unknown approaching inevitable horrific fate.

That image, or ideas relating to it, seldom fail to at least make my spine tingle, where exploding zombies or bone-crunching werewolves alternately make me smile or puke.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    The Blair Witch Project.

.....surprised me as my fear really only culminated once I'd gone to bed, about two hours after having seen the film. Lying there, mulling the film over in my mind, I was going over the ending and suddenly realized what it meant that the bloke was standing in the corner.

Totally agree, it is a film (like the recent Paranormal Activity) whose effects are culminated, as you say, a few hpurs after you´ve watched them. Although I never quite understood what does it mean the guy standing in the corner. Which makes it even spookier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Paranormal Activity

HIGH hopes for that one! Really looking forward to it, and trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great responses so far, really enjoyable.

Can anyone tell me the name of a film where brains with insect legs and spinal chords attack people, they were invisible at first. The problem is I don't remember much beyond this except that it scared me shitless as a kid.

and Martijn, I thought that you would have sussed the title of this thread is taken from David Bowie's 1980 album. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [REC] by far, the original Spanish film.

Also, EL ORFANATO

Martijn, care to elaborate on the ending and its meaning of The Blair Witch Project? 'Cause apart the fact that i was little when i watched it, it did nothing to me, i didn't understand the ending at all and i remember laughing my ass off with the silliness and sloppiness of many scenes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, care to elaborate on the ending

Of course!
    Anything for a fellow enthusiast who is as keen and interested as I am...
    'Cause apart the fact that i was little when i watched it, it did nothing to me, i didn't understand the ending at all and i remember laughing my ass off with the silliness and sloppiness of many scenes.

Oh.
    Never mind.

tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Killed me! biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Paranormal Activity is not your film then Demetris; it is in the same league as The Blair Witch Project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, care to elaborate on the ending

Of course!
    Anything for a fellow enthusiast who is as keen and interested as I am...
    'Cause apart the fact that i was little when i watched it, it did nothing to me, i didn't understand the ending at all and i remember laughing my ass off with the silliness and sloppiness of many scenes.

Oh.
    Never mind.

tongue

HEY! angry Give me a break, i was 15 at the time, i didn't understand the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Paranormal Activity is not your film then Demetris; it is in the same league as The Blair Witch Project.

I already established that via our pm's smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    HEY! angry Give me a break, i was 15 at the time!

Shall we start with an arm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HEY! angry Give me a break, i was 15 at the time!

omg cry

(what did you write before you edited and replaced with a dot? what what what? tell me!! cry)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

I already established that via our pm's smile

Oh yes, my very detailed summary! wink

Timmer wrote

....arms Tim.....arms
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Patience Marcel.....one at a time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

It was a kind of Blair Witch moment D, I had to get rid of it so's you don't piss your pants.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    See? This is what beign a fan of crappy SAW films does to you. You disgust me.

( cry )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously, Martijn. Care to explain the ending to me?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Great responses so far, really enjoyable.

Can anyone tell me the name of a film where brains with insect legs and spinal chords attack people, they were invisible at first. The problem is I don't remember much beyond this except that it scared me shitless as a kid.

and Martijn, I thought that you would have sussed the title of this thread is taken from David Bowie's 1980 album. cheesy

Also, if anyone knows my query?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

That must have been some experience. Tell us more... please.

-Erik-

My parents told me not to go and see the film. Part of the hype with the film was that no one could be admitted to the theater once it started. The really scary part for me was when the insurance investigator Arbogast, played by Martin Balsam, encountered and was killed by Norman Bates. The slashing music as I call it gave me nightmares for a long time and of course my parents found out about it. It was a really cool experience.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!