• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Can anyone tell me the name of a film where brains with insect legs and spinal chords attack people, they were invisible at first. The problem is I don't remember much beyond this except that it scared me shitless as a kid.

Tim, is it the 1958 movie Fiend Without A Face?

If it is then Prepare yourself!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! shocked

That's the one, THAT'S THE ONE! Thank you Alan beer How it would stand up to a viewing from me now I don't know?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! shocked

That's the one, THAT'S THE ONE! Thank you Alan beer How it would stand up to a viewing from me now I don't know?

I don't recall it myself but it took me ages to track it down. Glad I got the right one!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really REALLY want to see it again, even if it's crappy and cheesy I want to see it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiend-Without-F … B00009PAY2

I remember that film.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Timmer wrote
    I really REALLY want to see it again, even if it's crappy and cheesy I want to see it again.

Will this keep you going until then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACj-eC3VFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84oW2eW368
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Only on mute ( i'm playing music ), I'll check it out properly tomorrow, cheers Alan beer <-hot cadbury's chocolate....and it's in a HUGE mug lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just curious Alan: how did you find this?
    I tried several search options, but the best I could do was come up with (humongously) long lists of obscure horror/scifi films (which I didn't have time to check).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would like to know too as I have another query which is far more vague, I'd like to see if I can find it myself?
  4. I just googled various combinations of the key words "brain", "insect legs" and "spinal" and then looked up Wikipedia and/or imdb.com with suggested film titles to see if any were relevant. The searches that included "spinal" gave a lot of hits for neurology subjects so I left out this keyword.

I must have spent 10-15 minutes looking in total and it wasn't until the end that the correct title came up near the top of my hit list.

Obviously, Tim remembering this from his childhood narrowed down the possibilities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    I would like to know too as I have another query which is far more vague, I'd like to see if I can find it myself?

Come on, challenge Alan.....but don´t make it so easy (see above) this time tongue wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Come on, challenge Alan.....but don´t make it so easy (see above) this time tongue wink

Yeah, bring it on! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just googled various combinations of the key words "brain", "insect legs" and "spinal" and then looked up Wikipedia and/or imdb.com with suggested film titles to see if any were relevant. The searches that included "spinal" gave a lot of hits for neurology subjects so I left out this keyword.

I must have spent 10-15 minutes looking in total and it wasn't until the end that the correct title came up near the top of my hit list.

Obviously, Tim remembering this from his childhood narrowed down the possibilities.

Dang!
    That's exactly what I tried too!

Cant understand how I didn't get the proper results? (And I know the film too, even...) sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Even though it's rather silly when you think about it, this scene from "The shining" has always given me the chills.

It doesn't get scarrier than this scene from "An american werewolf in London". The movie is perhaps my all-time favourite horror movie, only challenged by "The shining".

The climax scene from "Ringu" was simply awesome. The american version of this scene was littered with special effects, which made it entirely non-scary.

And this scene from "The grudge" had a great impact on me, even as an veteran horror movie geek. I've looked under my bed for those grudging ghosts countless times since watching that movie.

And while many consider "Aliens" to be an action flick more than a horror, I've always found it to be one of the greatest horrors of all time. There are just so many classic terrifying scenes. Can't find any on youtube though (Probably due to copyright complaints, as they don't want amateurs promoting their movie).

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RINGU / THE RING is a quite frightening experience, indeed. I found that JU-ON / THE GRUDGE was less intense as an experience and scary effect, primarily because RINGU was the first and everything else seemed like a copy.

Also, the original DARKWATER is quite creepy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    And this scene from "The grudge" had a great impact on me, even as an veteran horror movie geek. I've looked under my bed for those grudging ghosts countless times since watching that movie.

There are TWO pivotal horror film experiences in my entire life. The first was ALIEN, which I saw at the age 10-11 or thereabouts. It was my first introduction to a more brutal form of filmmaking. The second is THE GRUDGE, which in my not so humble opinion is the scariest film of all time. Since I saw that in the theatre and was scared out my pants (ME - a hardened horror veteran viewer!), I've been very weary of ALL horror films, and only watched some of them....uhm, grudgingly. I'm not even CLICKING on that link of yours!

Also, it's one of reasons why I'm steering clear of that new PARANORMAL ACTIVITY "buzz film".

Either I'm getting older and more sensitive or horror films are getting more scary!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

There are TWO pivotal horror film experiences in my entire life. The first was ALIEN, which I saw at the age 10-11 or thereabouts. It was my first introduction to a more brutal form of filmmaking. The second is THE GRUDGE, which in my not so humble opinion is the scariest film of all time. Since I saw that in the theatre and was scared out my pants (ME - a hardened horror veteran viewer!), I've been very weary of ALL horror films, and only watched some of them....uhm, grudgingly. I'm not even CLICKING on that link of yours!

Also, it's one of reasons why I'm steering clear of that new PARANORMAL ACTIVITY "buzz film".

Either I'm getting older and more sensitive or horror films are getting more scary!

You saw the original or the american remake? I saw both and whilst the original is by far the most frightening, that little boy making those sounds made me giggle at some places....smile After the brilliance of RINGU / THE RING, everything seemed like plagiarism to me, afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But surely, not everyone of us is taken by the same movies at the same degree, it's true wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    You saw the original or the american remake? I saw both and whilst the original is by far the most frightening, that little boy making those sounds made me giggle at some places....smile After the brilliance of RINGU / THE RING, everything seemed like plagiarism to me, afterwards.

I saw the American remake (by the same director), which is more than enough for me. I have no attention of "exposing" myself to the Japanese original. Besides, it wouldn't have the same effect now.

I saw THE RING first too, and while it certainly has its scary moments (like that girl coming out from the TV and all that), in my opinion it comes off as Teletubbies in comparison. Sorry. It doesn't have the raw, visceral, nightmarish (real, but then not real), "dirty" intensity of THE GRUDGE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    RINGU / THE RING is a quite frightening experience, indeed. I found that JU-ON / THE GRUDGE was less intense as an experience and scary effect, primarily because RINGU was the first and everything else seemed like a copy.

Also, the original DARKWATER is quite creepy.

I agree, Ringu is quite creepy too. Actually, most of the late 90´s - early 00´s japanese horror films (Ringu, Dark Water, Ju-on, Kairo) are very frightening. Japanese films ar so realistic (or at least they look realistic) that the experience is really disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The simpler and realistic original asian films are much more intense as experiences than the remakes, esp. if you watch them prior to the american remakes. One exception was the american Ring imo which was a better movie overall. But all the others, darkwater, the grudge etc, are much inferior than the originals, imo.

Marcel, what is Kario about? Haven't watched it, and i am a fan of this genre smile But only with company.......and lights on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    I never could get the hang of Japanese horror.
    Rather than zombies jumping out shouting 'boo', it's generally little girls with hair hanging in front of their faces jumping up, not actually saying anything, but the music going the equivalent of 'boo'.

Pretty bad on the heart, but not very scary per se to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    The second is THE GRUDGE, which in my not so humble opinion is the scariest film of all time. Since I saw that in the theatre and was scared out my pants (ME - a hardened horror veteran viewer!), I've been very weary of ALL horror films, and only watched some of them....uhm, grudgingly. I'm not even CLICKING on that link of yours!

It seems the movie affected us similarly. I've seen just about anything horror-related in my life, which had hardened me so much over the years that I mostly just watch horrors now because I find them funny, so the impact that movie had on me came as a total surprise. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the nights were very difficult in the weeks after, and some nights I had to sleep with the lights on. shocked

Watching the scene I've linked to above was great therapy though. Today when I see it it has lost it's scary effect on me, even though I still think it's a pretty cool scene.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Rather than zombies jumping out shouting 'boo', it's generally little girls with hair hanging in front of their faces jumping up, not actually saying anything, but the music going the equivalent of 'boo'.

They're very grim and realistic. They have to do with every-day situations, objects we all use, regular people we see around us and places we live in (flats, buildings' roofs, the tv, the shower, etc, etc). They bring real horror to your house. Monster movies aren't scary, just entertaining.

See the Peter reply above me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marcel, what is Kario about? Haven't watched it, and i am a fan of this genre smile But only with company.......and lights on!

Kairo is also a horror film but not in the same vein as Ringu or Ju-on. Sure it has some shocking scenes but it also has a really strong (and metaphysical) story beyond its horror shocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Kairo is also a horror film but not in the same vein as Ringu or Ju-on. Sure it has some shocking scenes but it also has a really strong (and metaphysical) story beyond its horror shocks.

Care to spoil it for me? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    plindboe wrote
    It seems the movie affected us similarly. I've seen just about anything horror-related in my life, which had hardened me so much over the years that I mostly just watch horrors now because I find them funny, so the impact that movie had on me came as a total surprise.

Count me in. I consider myself a hardcore fan and a bit of a connaisseur of horror movies and with Ju=on I wast just shocked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Well, anything can be "banalized" if you describe it like that....like "2001 is all about dancing, really. First there is a bunch of apes running around and then this giant black marble brick suddenly appears that they all dance around and then there are all these spaceships dancing around etc.".

But that's the beauty of people. We're all put together differently, although I must admit - since it had such a strong impact on me - that I find it hard to understand how it can be dismissed with "meh, didn't do much for me"-type comments. I have to ask myself if we were indeed watching the same film. How can it be an almost life-altering event film for me that went to the darkest, darkest places of my nightmares and then a "bah...whatever. Let's go and grab a burger" for someone else? And I'm even a seasoned film viewer?

Like plindboe, I couldn't sleep well for WEEKS after I saw it and also had trouble going to the bathroom at night.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    They're very grim and realistic. They have to do with every-day situations, objects we all use, regular people we see around us and places we live in (flats, buildings' roofs, the tv, the shower, etc, etc). They bring real horror to your house. Monster movies aren't scary, just entertaining.

Exactly. Besides, they don´t rely as much on music as american horror movies (or remakes). That makes it even more realistic and scarier.

Christodoulides wrote
    Care to spoil it for me? wink

No! Watch it tongue

This movie is far more complicated to summarize than Paranormal Activity wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I saw the American remake (by the same director), which is more than enough for me. I have no attention of "exposing" myself to the Japanese original. Besides, it wouldn't have the same effect now.

I saw THE RING first too, and while it certainly has its scary moments (like that girl coming out from the TV and all that), in my opinion it comes off as Teletubbies in comparison. Sorry. It doesn't have the raw, visceral, nightmarish (real, but then not real), "dirty" intensity of THE GRUDGE.

Be aware though that the american remake of "Ringu" was just cheesy, rather than scary, and nothing like the original. Not that the original was a masterpiece, much of the movie was rather dull, but in the scary moments it had that ultra-creepiness that the japanese somehow manage to pull off so well.

The remake of "Ju on" seems to keep the creepiness of the original as it wasn't hollywoodyfied beyond recognition. Still, if you've seen "The ring" remake you're probably right that "Ringu" wouldn't have the same effect now.

Peter smile