• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    Amazing that he hadn't gotten his own thread before now. shocked

Of course Luis Bacalov is probably most famous for his Academy Award for "Il postino" in 1995 (which James Horner probably deserved), but imdb lists 142 flicks he's scored, so there's no doubt much more great stuff to check out. He's also famous especially for "Quién sabe" and "Django", and a buttload of other westerns. I'm also sure he gained a few more fans due to Tarantino using one of his wonderful spaghetti western themes in "Kill Bill".

I just uploaded this wonderful Bacalov spaghetti western theme on YouTube, so I could share its coolness with the world.

Here's the great theme used in "Kill Bill".

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Very nice! punk
    I'm not familiar with his scores for westerns. My fave Bacalov is Ilona Arriva con la Pioggia (Ilona Arrives with the Rain), followed by The Love Letter & Caravaggio.
  1. Check out the samples for "Sea of Dreams" over at ScreenArchives.com.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Bacalov is one of the seasoned veterans of the Williams/Morricone generation that is still around, but who seems to be mostly retired now?

I'm not familiar with his work, really, except the obligatory IL POSTINO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Django is one of my all-time favourite western scores, and my favourite Bacalov score to date.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    Very nice! punk

Glad you liked them. smile

BhelPuri wrote
    My fave Bacalov is Ilona Arriva con la Pioggia (Ilona Arrives with the Rain), followed by The Love Letter & Caravaggio.

Haven't tried those. Romantic scores?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    justin boggan wrote
    Check out the samples for "Sea of Dreams" over at ScreenArchives.com.

I second that. Such a gorgeous and dreamy score.

Thor wrote
    Bacalov is one of the seasoned veterans of the Williams/Morricone generation that is still around, but who seems to be mostly retired now?

I'm not familiar with his work, really, except the obligatory IL POSTINO.

Give these a listen. smile

Martijn wrote
    Django is one of my all-time favourite western scores, and my favourite Bacalov score to date.

That instrumental version gets me every time.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Sea of Love is my fave of his scores, but I'm going to have to check out some of the other ones mentioned in this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    My fave Bacalov is Ilona Arriva con la Pioggia (Ilona Arrives with the Rain), followed by The Love Letter & Caravaggio.

Haven't tried those. Romantic scores?

Peter smile

Haha! You know me! wink
    Yeah, the first two are meltworthy. Amazon samples- http://www.amazon.com/Ilona-Arriva-Con- … B002BGJ2NC
    Ilona in particular has a gorgeous main theme that's first heard on sax (#1) and later with wordless vocals (#3) followed by a meltissimo twinkling piano (#5). I think I've used #5 in one of the GTS 'Water' games.

Caravaggio is epic and sweeping stuff! SAE samples- http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8280
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the heads up, after "SEA OF LOVE" i am too interested in the composer's work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. plindboe wrote
    Amazing that he hadn't gotten his own thread before now. shocked

Not surprised in the slightest - a composer I know nothing about so I didn't miss a topic!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Haha! You know me! wink

Indeed I do. smile We seem to have a practically identical taste in music.

Thanks for the sound samples, they both sound great!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not surprised in the slightest - a composer I know nothing about so I didn't miss a topic!! wink

When you get to know him a bit better the surprise will begin to set in. wink Try out the samples presented in this thread, there's some really amazing stuff out there.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    Review of my favourite film music release of 2012 so far: a pairing of Il Grande Duello and The Man Called Noon by Quartet Records:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2616
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014 edited
    HIDDEN MOON is gorgeous. http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … oon/Detail Lyrical, romantic, dramatic at places, and fully orchestral of course. Also contains a fine selection of solo instruments, making the whole even more variecolored. Stunning that directors who allow such scores still exist today. Kudos to Bacalov of course as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2017
    Apparently, Luis Bacalov passed away today. He was 84.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh gosh! sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Another of the great ones departs. sad
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, his generation is really thinning.

Who's left now (at least of the active ones)? Williams, Morricone, Schifrin, Q. Jones, Legrand, Bjerre? Who else?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, his generation is really thinning.

Who's left now (at least of the active ones)? Williams, Morricone, Schifrin, Q. Jones, Legrand, Bjerre? Who else?

Giacchino?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Do not call on the Unholy One.
    I am extremely serious.