• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Does anybody know a good, free programme which you can use to make DVD-Rs with and edit stuff from other DVDs on it? Like Audacity but then for video files?

The thing is: I've got two DVDRs from somebody else which I can play on my PC but not on my DVD player. I want to copy some of the stuff on them onto one DVD and burn it on my PC in the hope that I can play that on my player. I'm kind of a rookie in editing videos and making DVDs so I was hoping somebody here could give me one or two good tips. (By the way, it's not illegal stuff or so smile).

Cheers!
  1. The trick is to convert the videos and make them compatible for the DVD-Video format, so MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 should be used as conversion format. MPEG-2 is the best as quality can go higher.

I used to do that, making my own DVDs, but it takes so long to convert the files, make nice menus and so on I gave up on it. But TMPGEnc is a program I've always used and it does work very well.

However, to insert the converted MPEG video files into a DVD-Video compatible format so it can be read by your DVD plyaer you need another program, a DVD authoring utility, but if you want something decent it costs a lot. There are trial versions, but they do come with restrictions. I don't know about any free authoring programs, maybe someone else does.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    TMPGEnc is what i use too!

I'd also recommend SONY DVD CREATOR too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited
    Wow, I didn't know this would be this complicated. Thanks for the recommendations!
    I do have Nero with all its different functions - anybody know if that is able to make a DVD-Video compatible DVD-R?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely. In fact, it's as easy as following the (built-in) wizard.
    And there are very extensive manuals downloadable from Nero proper.

Easy-peasy lemon squeezy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks - cheesy peas for you!