• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    So, it's not a happy ending wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

you haven't seen it yet? shocked
    go out and rent it, NOW
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I SO want to my friend, but i've seen some funny-looking monsters in a grocery store scene or something like that and funny looking monsters are really not my kind of thing....i prefer psychological, ghost-related stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

*poker face. slant

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    How can you not like monsters? What's there not to like about them?!!!

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Give the trailer a watch though, Dem. If you can't stand it, there's no reason to rent the movie.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote

Peter shocked

I don't like them, i can't take a movie with monsters seriously and i find them funny instead, thus destroying the movie experience for me. As long as they aren't even trying to somehow add a realistic touch to them...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Mist is one of the more brilliant horror movies I´ve watched in years. Adult characters, not using the typical tricks, developing the characters (great performances by the way) and building up the mood until the very dramatic ending. Perfect.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .....but with penis looking monsters. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    What do you mean the worst but also the best ending ever? How do you justify this huge oxymoron? wink

[spoiler]As in the fact a father kills his son as he thinks they're going to be killed by the aliens, only for the military to arrive at that second and save the day. How is that not messed up?[/spoiler] biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What do you mean the worst but also the best ending ever? How do you justify this huge oxymoron? wink

[spoiler]As in the fact a father kills his son as he thinks they're going to be killed by the aliens, only for the military to arrive at that second and save the day. How is that not messed up?[/spoiler] biggrin

LOVED IT!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter shocked

I don't like them, i can't take a movie with monsters seriously and i find them funny instead, thus destroying the movie experience for me. As long as they aren't even trying to somehow add a realistic touch to them...

Well, The Mist is a horror film with a double meaning, you could see it as a genuine old-school monster movie, but as powerful human drama as well. The movie isn't so much as the people in the store being scared of the monsters outside, instead its emphasis is on the confrontations and conflicts with another kind of monster: the human being. See it D, it's really great, atmosphere building is second to none, and the acting as just fine.

And just to make sure, don't tell me you find this monster funny looking... If you do, I'm going to eat my hat. angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    Into the Storm

Marvellous BBC follow-up to The Gathering Storm, this time about Churchill during the war years. Made me swell with rare patriotic pride. Produced by Tony and Ridley Scott - and Howard Goodall's music was much better than anything heard in either of their own films recently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Into the Storm

Marvellous BBC follow-up to The Gathering Storm, this time about Churchill during the war years. Made me swell with rare patriotic pride. Produced by Tony and Ridley Scott - and Howard Goodall's music was much better than anything heard in either of their own films recently.

Missed it! crazy Is it repeated?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    The Mist is one of the more brilliant horror movies I´ve watched in years. Adult characters, not using the typical tricks, developing the characters (great performances by the way) and building up the mood until the very dramatic ending. Perfect.

Loveditloveditlovedit!!!!

Very H.P. Lovecraft'ified...LOVEDITLOVEDITLOVEDIT!!!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Into the Storm

No idea. I'm sure Martijn will know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

I enjoyed it too! (Though I have to say, I saw the ending coming, which reduced its impact.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

If not, it's on BBC iPlayer....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … the_Storm/

... and yes, it was very good.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

I enjoyed it too! (Though I have to say, I saw the ending coming, which reduced its impact.)

Really? You saw it coming? shocked

It was totally unexpected to me. Didn´t think an american movie would dare to end a movie like that.

Timmer wrote

Lovecraft'ified -> beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    A part of me wants a happy ending, but another part of me would be disappointed with the typical rosy Hollywood ending.

Stephen King's short story does have a very open ending, quite unlike the film, and I applaud the makers for making the ending even more unsettling and relentlessly dark than the story did.

The film does have its shortcomings (for one I though the Bible Lady was set up too much like the novel and as such had a distinct early eighties "televangelist" feel to her), but overall to my mind it's one of the very best film versions of a King horror story.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Into the Storm

Yes, it will be.
    Or maybe not.
    But probably.
    Possibly.

(Actually yes: it IS repeated on November 8th...but at 02:35 at night! shocked )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Into the Storm

Yes, it will be.
    Or maybe not.
    But probably.
    Possibly.

(Actually yes: it IS repeated on November 8th...but at 02:35 at night! shocked )

That's fine by me, I'll record it.

Thanks beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I SO want to my friend, but i've seen some funny-looking monsters in a grocery store scene or something like that and funny looking monsters are really not my kind of thing....i prefer psychological, ghost-related stuff.

the effects are better than they appear to be, but the story itself is more psychological than you would think, the monsters are just a specific meaning in what is essentially "what does man do when he's threatened"
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just wait until they really get the Hadron Collider going....Switzerland will be overrun with trans-dimensional beasties from other universes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watched the last game of the World Series as the Yankees defeated the Phillies 4 games to 2.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

the effects are better than they appear to be, but the story itself is more psychological than you would think, the monsters are just a specific meaning in what is essentially "what does man do when he's threatened"

That's enought to start getting me tempted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's enought to start getting me tempted!

That is more than enough! Go watch it. But now you know how it ends crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    True Blood

Have just watched the first couple of episodes of this HBO series, from the creator of Six Feet Under. Graphic violence, lots of sex and nudity, extremely bad language... what's not to like!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    Might there perchance be a plot as well? smile