• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    shocked

...uhm

I... I don't think I can ever trust your opinions on films...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013
    I'm very trustworthy! When I express my opinion of a film, you can be 100% sure that it's my opinion.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't believe you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So I finished Season 7 of Doctor Who.

What a roller-coaster ride this second half was! Gone were all the lazy stories, vacuous guest monsters and obligatory ineffective recurring nemeses. Fantastic new companion (I really, really like Clara and her back story) and some great storytelling (I was delighted to see another Neil Gaiman story!).
    The cliffhanger for the great November 50th Anniversary special was something else, and one of the finer season endings in the reboot.

And WHAT a guest star! I cannot wait to see where this goes!

The only thing I regret is that it was still Matt Smith's tenure.
    I enjoyed the stories this season, but he never gelled with me as The Doctor.
    Otherwise Season 7.5 would quite easily have been my favourite of the reboot.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Also just finished Boardwalk Empire: Season 2

The continuing story about gangsters and political corruption in Atlantic City in 1920, right after the Volstead Act came into play.

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.
    The different story lines come to a very satisfying closure insofar as they can (I'm slightly surprised there's a third season? I guess a lot of storylines need rebooting then?).

The acting is uniformly excellent, the set pieces amazing (it certainly helps that I'm a bit of a Roaring Twenties nut), the storylines (vice, violence, corruption, conscience, redemption...all the Great Topics are in there) compelling throughout.
    And the music is just marvelous!
    There is no original soundtrack whatsoever: rather the music consists of twenties' hit songs, used both diegetically and as background mood. The great thing is that rather than use the original recordings, the producer has sought (and found!) artists to rerecord all of them, which makes for excellent quality (the soundtrack CD is just lovely, if you're into early jazz).

I'm taking a bit of a breather before diving into season 3 to let the mood of season 2 linger and settle, so I will go into it with re-aligned expectations. I'm a bit weary with the previous two seasons and the pretty much finished main storyline, it might otherwise disappoint a bit.

And there's enough in storage to keep me entertained in the meantime. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I renamed the folder to 'Boredwalk Empire' on my hard drive, so you can imagine how I felt towards the first season (that I never actually finished). I certainly recognised it was a quality show, which made it even more frustrating it didn't connect with me. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood? Universal praise is rarely unjustified, so there must be something to it I'm missing! Is season 2 'better' than season 1?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it's not.
    In fact i would say it's more of the same.

It's relatively slow, and there are no real protagonists (there are very few people in the series I actually like. Come to think of it, there's none! But then again, that's quite comparable to The Sopranos.)
    So I can totally understand this to be an acquired taste.

As said, I think it REALLY helps that I absolutely adore the era.
    I like the fashion, the cars, the music, the culture. The lot!

But word to the wise: if you didn't enjoy season 1, by all means steer clear from the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm going a bit cold-turkey for a new show, something to fill in the Breaking Bad shaped hole that I was left with after the finale, so I might succumb to the addiction and just try again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I'm very trustworthy! When I express my opinion of a film, you can be 100% sure that it's my opinion.

Peter smile

I totally agree with that Peter.

You're often very wrong too! tongue ( my little wizard has often wept at your negative views on truly classic films )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm going a bit cold-turkey for a new show, something to fill in the Breaking Bad shaped hole that I was left with after the finale, so I might succumb to the addiction and just try again.

I can't remember if you tried THE SOPRANOS or not?

From what Martijn said, BOARDWALK EMPIRE sounds totally up my street, after Breaking Bad that's my next series ( besides catching up with the 3rd season of Game of Thrones ), Mel and I have been flying through Breaking Bad and have just 3 episodes left of Season 3 to watch.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just started on Alcatraz.

"In 1963 Alcatraz was closed, and the inmates were all transferred.
    But that's not what really happened"

Inmates from 1963 are suddenly appearing in modern day San Francisco, up to their historical no-good tricks, with an added mission apparently...but how? And why?

It's a pretty good premise, but so far, 6 episodes in, it doesn't really deliver just yet.
    Produced by J.J. Abrams, this plays somewhat as a Lost Lite (aided along in no small deal by a very similar, Giacchino-headed soundtrack, a main appearance by Jorge "Hurley" Garcia, and the bumper sound of prison gates closing which is insanely reminiscent of the sound Lost's 'smoke monster' made), but with none of the creepy moodiness and truly baffling mystery.

It's fairly entertaining, though thoroughly lightweight.
    Not sure if I'll see this one through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (You can probably tell I have a bit of a backlog in reporting on my fascinating viewing pleasures shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote

http://youtu.be/kIdFzP0TJxc?t=5s
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

I remember starting on that. Didn't stay with it for long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's relatively slow, and there are no real protagonists (there are very few people in the series I actually like. Come to think of it, there's none! But then again, that's quite comparable to The Sopranos.)

I thought one of the great things about The Sopranos was how it made me quite like people who are doing horrible things, the way it painted certain characters as kinds of tragic antiheroes who couldn't really avoid going down that route. And the reason I think I never really warmed to Boardwalk Empire (I gave up half way through season three - didn't dislike it particularly, but I just didn't really care what happened any more) was that it didn't do the same thing for me. I think I'll try it again some time, hope I can get the connection next time. It's a very handsomely-made show, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    ...cry

I feel bad now. sad

Anyway, I'm considering starting on 24 or Prison break. They seem to get raving reviews. Anyone has thoughts on these shows?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Watching Suits at the moment. Adventures of a lawyer and his associate. Good stuff. Quick paced. Gets even better in season 2, where I'm now. I enjoy it. Doesn't take itself too seriously either. Steven might like this?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    24 is an excellent show, although the concept got a bit watered out in the later seasons. The intensity of the suspense was great. It's basically the same thing they're trying with HOMELAND now, only that is more on the intrigue side of things.

PRISON BREAK I never started on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, I've seen so many films lately (of all kinds) that it would be too much work to write about them all. Also loads of tv shows in addition to the DR. WHO marathon. Many of them are back on the air for new seasons - HOMELAND, SUPERNATURAL, WALKING DEAD, ONCE UPON A TIME, AMERICAN HORROR STORY, REVOLUTION.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

I remember starting on that. Didn't stay with it for long.

I watched about four episodes and it was a "case of the week" type of affair. It needed a hook but didn't have one. I think it got cancelled after about 12 episodes and I have no idea if they tied everything up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite like Homeland. It's a nice mix of espionage thriller and genuine character development. And I really like Saul's character, he's so damn likeable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I quite like Homeland. It's a nice mix of espionage thriller and genuine character development. And I really like Saul's character, he's so damn likeable!

I like it too. I don't think it's much like 24.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I like it too. I don't think it's much like 24.

It's made by someone who used to work on 24 I think? But no, it's not really. It's along the same lines of 'espionage/terrorist thriller', but as I said, it takes a far more interesting approach by focusing on characters rather than events.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    ...cry

I feel bad now. sad

Anyway, I'm considering starting on 24 or Prison break. They seem to get raving reviews. Anyone has thoughts on these shows?

Peter smile

I've not seen Prison Break, but 24 I seem to remember being quite entertaining (if a little gimmicky). I did give up watching it after about 4 seasons since it just repeats the same idea over and over. Also, I also seem to recall almost zero character development given that it's set in, well, 24 hours. But perhaps later seasons remedied that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not really. Very enjoyable though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Homeland is by a couple of the writers/producers of 24 I believe. The first series was excellent but by the end of it they had used up what made it unique (is Brody good or bad?). Season 2 felt like it was turning back into 24 again. I haven't started watching season 3.

I suppose it's good that 24 is coming back next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with that assessment of Homeland. Though I did quite like the ending to season 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Homeland is by a couple of the writers/producers of 24 I believe. The first series was excellent but by the end of it they had used up what made it unique (is Brody good or bad?). Season 2 felt like it was turning back into 24 again. I haven't started watching season 3.

I suppose it's good that 24 is coming back next year.

The third season of HOMELAND is off to a great start, IMO.

I think it has LOTS in common with 24, from the way the different narrative lines overlap, the introduction of "new" baddies, the whole terrorist thing, the mystery of the man behind it all etc. It's not as straight-out action/thriller as 24, but it has some of the same 'vibe'.
    I am extremely serious.