• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013
    I went to see Gravity last night in 3D .
    It's about struggle for survival in terrible , rapidly changing circumstances.
    The images are absolutely stunning and Sandra Bullock is pure in her performance .
    The script isn't flawless and some of the dialogue could be better as well but if you
    put this aside , you're in for one hell of a ride !
    Watching this movie I realised yet again how tiny and insignificant we are in the cosmos .
    The soundtrack by Steven Price is effective in the movie , but as a stand alone listen it's kinda hard going for me ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Man of steel

I was reminded about when I recently watched The Bourne ultimatum and noticed how the piece Tangiers was completely drowned out by sound effects. One of the most awesome pieces in history, and you can't even hear it!

I guess it was so loud that you didn't notice the majority of it was also swapped out with Berlin Foot Chase from the previous movie! wink smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    An 8 for MAN OF STEEL? shocked

I give it 2

A 2? I gave it a 1 and that's being generous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013 edited
    Eric wrote
    I went to see Gravity last night in 3D .
    It's about struggle for survival in terrible , rapidly changing circumstances.
    The images are absolutely stunning and Sandra Bullock is pure in her performance .
    The script isn't flawless and some of the dialogue could be better as well but if you
    put this aside , you're in for one hell of a ride !
    Watching this movie I realised yet again how tiny and insignificant we are in the cosmos .
    The soundtrack by Steven Price is effective in the movie , but as a stand alone listen it's kinda hard going for me ...

I saw this on Friday and nearly lost my lunch a dozen times. It's the best looking 3D movie I've seen but it's very disorentating and I felt ill during and after the film was done!

Superb special effects. The script was secondary, which was obvious. And like you said Steven Price's score was effective but unmemorable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Man of steel is rated 7,5 on imdb, so the world agrees with me. As we all know imdb ratings reflect the Truth.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I went to see Captain Philips yesterday. Tom Hanks is his usual excellent acting self, but what impressed me more was Barkhad Abdi. Amazing acting consideration that this was his first role, as I've read somewhere. For some reason, apart from the final moments, the music didn't stay with me. I don't know why.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Stavroula wrote
    I went to see Captain Philips yesterday. Tom Hanks is his usual excellent acting self, but what impressed me more was Barkhad Abdi. Amazing acting consideration that this was his first role, as I've read somewhere. For some reason, apart from the final moments, the music didn't stay with me. I don't know why.

it was his first role, and apparently director Greengrass didn't let the 2 main leads meet before they actually met on screen. Because he was very nervous to actually star alongside Tom Hanks. Either way, I heard great things about the film, especially Abdi's performance.

Will rent it once it's available on blu-ray smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stavroula wrote

Because the final moments were from United 93 by John Powell.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stavroula wrote

it was his first role, and apparently director Greengrass didn't let the 2 main leads meet before they actually met on screen. Because he was very nervous to actually star alongside Tom Hanks. Either way, I heard great things about the film, especially Abdi's performance.

Will rent it once it's available on blu-ray smile

No, it's a manipulative technique. When you start out with the most tense stuff, you don't really get to like the other actor, which means that the tension is more genuine.

A similar thing happened on Saving Private Ryan. The Tom Hanks team went through a week-long boot camp, which was very difficult physically and mentally for the actors. Matt Damon didn't, so there was an element of genuine dislike to Damon on the set, which showed in the performances as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. cool to know smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. All right. So now I have seen. Man of Steel.

Since it is well known in these parts that I enjoy films like the SW Prequels and "Prometheus", it won't be any surprise that I loved every single minute of the Superman reboot.

Brilliant film.
    Great score.

Maybe my poor taste is to blame.
    Maybe it's due to the fact that I don't dwell in my childhood.

Whatever, two hours very well spent. Looks like Thor and I belong to an exclusive club here.

But to each his own. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    All right. So now I have seen. Man of Steel.

Since it is well known in these parts that I enjoy films like the SW Prequels and "Prometheus", it won't be any surprise that I loved every single minute of the Superman reboot.

Brilliant film.
    Great score.

Maybe my poor taste is to blame.
    Maybe it's due to the fact that I don't dwell in my childhood.

Whatever, two hours very well spent. Looks like Thor and I belong to an exclusive club here.

But to each his own. wink

Volker

Indeed. And since we like the SW prequels and PROMETHEUS and MAN OF STEEL and loads of 70s and 80s prog/art rock, the club is even more exclusive, I would think. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013
    Brilliant film? Brilliant?! Man, we toss that word around here a lot, don't we?
    -Erik-
  6. Well, as opposed to the mega-brilliant Donner film? wink

Volker
  7. I actually have been enjoying this year at the movies. Frances Ha, Much Ado About Nothing, Upstream Color, The Great Gatsby, Gravity, Rust and Bone, Before Midnight, The Rocket, Anna Karenina, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Lore... great year for the formalists in particular. Even the films that don't entirely work - Stoker, Trance, To the Wonder - style has mostly been a strong suit.

Just about the only thing I've seen at the cinema in a while that didn't have a lot to say for itself was Man of Steel. What a chore. Funnily enough the film they seemed to model it on, more than anything, was Thor. Branagh's film was stronger, lighter on its feet, with at least some sense of humour. I love the quote above that says the soundtrack was great because it was louder than anything else. Aye aye aye.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Didn't like half those movies come out last year, Franz?

Of those, I've seen exactly none and the only one I have any interest in seeing is Gravity. So my contribution to this discussion ends here.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Didn't like half those movies come out last year, Franz?

Leaving aside the question of whether that's really the only thing worth talking about out of that post...

I don't know where you're from Edmund, but I'm in the half of the world that gets these things eventually (as opposed to that mad September-December rush the US seems to have where half these things come out). This is how film distribution mostly works around the world. Distributors wait and see whether a film will work in a key market or get any awards traction before pushing it further. Rust and Bone comes out on Dec 25, 2012. I see it Jan 10. It's a 2013 memory for me. Anna Karenina comes out on Feb 27, 2013 or something here. That's a particularly 2013 memory.

Enjoy Gravity.
    As Hamlet would say, 'the rest shall keep as they are'. (And for that I am glad. They're pretty good as they are.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013 edited
    Franz, you clearly enjoy the more artsy films. Have you seen , MUD? I thought that was pretty good. GRAVITY is the only one from your list that I've seen, other than MAN OF STEEL, which I thought was okay, though it was no fun and Supes now apparently doesn't care about collateral damage unless Lois lane is in trouble (did he save anyone else in the film?) I thought the score for MOS was not good. If you score every scene as though it is the epic thing to every grace the silver screen, then none of it ends up feeling epic. I liked the scenes on Krypton a lot, but then the score stayed at that level for the rest of the film, with hardly a quiet moment.

I have really liked some of the big summer movies from this year. IRON MAN 3, STAR TREK I.D. (I know this one upset a lot of the the Trek faithful, but I really liked it despite "the scene") and WORLD WAR Z all come to mind and films I quite enjoyed. GRAVITY is, however, by far the best thing I've seen this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013 edited
    The films I've seen (for the first time) this year have been all over the place. Not that many REALLY old films, but I've been trying to catch up on a few films from the last three decades. This is from January 6, 2013 untill now, with the number indicating grade between 1 and 6, 6 being the best (list does not include the films I've seen before and revisited):

miss bala 4+
    the innkeepers 3-
    young adult 4
    damsels in distress 1
    the raid: redemption 3
    this is not a film 4
    house of tolerance 4
    killer joe 3+
    myth of the american sleepover 3+
    play 4
    no 2
    war witch 4
    as one 2
    shadow dancer 3
    filmistaan 2+
    white tiger 4-
    før snøen faller 4
    il capitano 4
    tabu 4
    7 boxes 3+
    django unchained 4
    maria larssons eviga ögonblick 4+
    barbara 4-
    kill list 3+
    l'enfant d'en haut 3
    zero dark thirty 4-
    lincoln 4
    paranormal activity 3+
    life of pi 5
    hotel transylvania 2+
    lockout 2-
    paranormal activity 2 2
    cloud atlas 3+
    the master 4-
    paranormal activity 3 2
    argo 3
    the divide 2+
    carlos 4+
    this is england 4
    hitchcock 3-
    äta sova dø 4
    late spring 3
    safety not guaranteed 3-
    wreck-it-ralph 3+
    paranormal activity 4 2+
    gone 2-
    silent house 3-
    jiro dreams of sushi 3
    oblivion 3+
    stoker 3
    the raven 2
    the day 3-
    the apparition 2+
    the bay 3-
    the darkest hour 2+
    branded 1+
    a good day to die hard 2-
    altitude 1+
    resident evil 4-
    resident evil 2: apocalypse 2+
    resident evil 3: extinction 3
    resident evil 4: afterlife 3
    resident evil 5: retribution 2+
    dark water 3
    man of steel 4+
    the gatekeepers 3
    the lone ranger 2
    world war z 4
    children of the corn 2-
    children of the corn 1
    contraband 2+
    15 minutes 2
    pacific rim 2+
    pain & gain 4
    jack reacher 3
    star trek: into darkness 3
    springbreakers 4
    the last stand 2+
    broken 4-
    epic 2+
    oz - the great and the powerful 2-
    call girl 4
    riddick 4
    deep star six 2+
    the rift (1990) 1+
    deep shock 1+
    the rig 2-
    promised land 3
    gravity 5+
    boogie nights 4
    clueless 2+
    stranded 2-
    mother and son 2
    the grandmaster 3
    dazed and confused 3
    nun va goldoon 4-
    l'eau froide 4+
    vive l'amour 4
    dead man 3+
    wag the dog 2
    20.000 leagues under the sea 3
    underground 4
    dangerous game 4
    gummo 2
    delicatessen 5
    heavenly creatures 4
    election 4
    sombre 3

As you can see, the best film thus far -- of both old and new -- is GRAVITY.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Leaving aside the question of whether that's really the only thing worth talking about out of that post...

Forgive me, I'm always a little bit anal about such things... dizzy

franz_conrad wrote
    I don't know where you're from Edmund, but I'm in the half of the world that gets these things eventually (as opposed to that mad September-December rush the US seems to have where half these things come out). This is how film distribution mostly works around the world. Distributors wait and see whether a film will work in a key market or get any awards traction before pushing it further. Rust and Bone comes out on Dec 25, 2012. I see it Jan 10. It's a 2013 memory for me. Anna Karenina comes out on Feb 27, 2013 or something here. That's a particularly 2013 memory.

Enjoy Gravity.
    As Hamlet would say, 'the rest shall keep as they are'. (And for that I am glad. They're pretty good as they are.)

Ah, I see. So it's more films you saw in 2013 than films that came out in 2013. I guess I should have known. Release dates can indeed be an annoyance, considering I have to wait until November 8th or something to see Gravity here in the UK.

As to the others, well, my taste in film (and, indeed, their music) still tends more towards the blockbuster than the arthouse. But that's not to say that I won't ever see the films in your list, just that they weren't ones that had me dashing off to the cinema to see. I certainly mean to see The Great Gatsby one of these days, if nothing else (but Baz Luhrman's grating extravagance isn't something I needed to shell out the ticket price for, now or ever rolleyes ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    The Great Gatsby, as good as Leonardo is -and he really is- in the title role, is a massive misfire in my opinion: way too over the top in style and set pieces (and this time it doesn't work: it's a style that emphasises irony and detachment...everything the story DOESN'T need), a very misguided use of modern day music (I have no problem with anachronisms, but it just falls flat here. I can see the music producer going 'lookit me being so edgy and clever'), and some very poor performances (Toby Maguire a standout in that respect. He just appears to sport either of two facial expressions here: glib or gollum).

I was sorely disappointed.
    Luckily I stumbled on Boardwalk Empire a few weeks later which, even not without its own anachronisms, totally provided my twenties fix, and overall -although storywise incomparable, of course- is a MUCH better production which a much better eye for the period.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. That CD is sitting on my shelf waiting for its time.

V.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Martijn wrote
    The Great Gatsby, as good as Leonardo is -and he really is- in the title role, is a massive misfire in my opinion: way too over the top in style and set pieces (and this time it doesn't work: it's a style that emphasises irony and detachment...everything the story DOESN'T need), a very misguided use of modern day music (I have no problem with anachronisms, but it just falls flat here. I can see the music producer going 'lookit me being so edgy and clever'), and some very poor performances (Toby Maguire a standout in that respect. He just appears to sport either of two facial expressions here: glib or gollum).

I was sorely disappointed.
    Luckily I stumbled on Boardwalk Empire a few weeks later which, even not without its own anachronisms, totally provided my twenties fix, and overall -although storywise incomparable, of course- is a MUCH better production which a much better eye for the period.

When I saw Lurhman's Gatsby, the thing that kept coming to mind was how great this story and these characters work as litterature, but how the actors and imagary in this particular setting seemed constructed and unconvincing. However, I enjoyed the virtuosic editing and thought the hip-hop anachronisms were fresh and fun.
  12. I guess I'm closer to Mark than Martijn here on GATSBY. (Particularly when I throw in the barb that I tried to get into BOARDWALK EMPIRE recently, but the filmmaking bored me.) The last significant 20s American-set film I liked a lot was PUBLIC ENEMIES, pretty much the opposite extreme of GATSBY in film style, controversial for its flagrant use of digital cameras in a period cineastes have come to associate with whatever Brian DePalma or Howard Hawks thought it should look like on film. Just like Michael Mann should be free to bust a convention or two in how that period looks, Baz Luhrman is going to the go the other way and treat it with the freedom of tone fiction allows. So it held no surprises for me that it was the thing it was, and if the grace of Fitzgerald isn't there (Luhrman is far too emphatic and extroverted for that), maybe I don't need every film to be the definitive version its marketing team want me to believe it will be. Like plays, these things are done again and again, perhaps less frequently due to the capital expenditure, and there'll be another one, perhaps treated with the solemn gravity of Todd Field.

I'm glad Luhrman got the chance though. I'm pretty suspicious of him, and when the material is not there, his images-as-design-playdough approach collapses. (See Australia.) Fortunately his formalist inclinations peak early, and the film becomes more classical after Gatsby's love becomes clear. Also, his whimsy is matched to a worthy tale. (This probably worked in Joe Wright's favour with Anna Karenina also -- his team can go nuts with it because the foundation is so sturdy and well-known. All those other raving stylists - Zack Snyder, Michael Bay, et al - should take notes.)

I will say this, were it not for DiCaprio, I don't think the film would work at all, but it wouldn't be the first film where the main character was a particularly critical piece of the puzzle. Daisy worketh not quite so well.

The other thing I liked a great deal however was the music. The melody from Yared's Cold Mountain is a bit distracting, and there's a touch of Benjamin Button in the score at moments, but I just found the ever shifting medley of idioms, voices and musical styles a joy in the cinema. And in the end, all these diffuse musical pieces amount to a leitmotif approach, much closer to Max Steiner than Scorsese's needledrop compilations. That so rarely happens in films these days, and the film's style and tone could not be more ripe for it. Perhaps it's excusable that the film score afficianados no longer recognise it when it comes.
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Forgive me, I'm always a little bit anal about such things... dizzy

I was too sharp, forgive. I was coming off marking a bunch of university essays. I was well practiced in attacking sentences I don't like. wink

In general I call my movie year everything I saw in a year. So for me, it's also the year of Trishna, The Deerhunter, Amour, Jack Reacher, Pulp Fiction (! yes, had never seen before)... and many more. But I wouldn't make any sense if I included those.

christopher wrote
    Franz, you clearly enjoy the more artsy films. Have you seen , MUD? I thought that was pretty good. GRAVITY is the only one from your list that I've seen, other than MAN OF STEEL, which I thought was okay, though it was no fun and Supes now apparently doesn't care about collateral damage unless Lois lane is in trouble (did he save anyone else in the film?) I thought the score for MOS was not good. If you score every scene as though it is the epic thing to every grace the silver screen, then none of it ends up feeling epic. I liked the scenes on Krypton a lot, but then the score stayed at that level for the rest of the film, with hardly a quiet moment.

I have really liked some of the big summer movies from this year. IRON MAN 3, STAR TREK I.D. (I know this one upset a lot of the the Trek faithful, but I really liked it despite "the scene") and WORLD WAR Z all come to mind and films I quite enjoyed. GRAVITY is, however, by far the best thing I've seen this year.

I haven't seen MUD. Not around here yet. Is that the Matthew Mcconaughy detective film?

I haven't seen STAR TREK ID -- curious, although I don't like those two writers. WORLD WAR Z I'm also curious about, despite that director not being a great one for action films (Quantum of Solace is what I'm thinking of).

I agree completely about MAN OF STEEL's score. I saw an interview with the sound mixers of the film where they talked about the film's dynamic range. Yikes. It have not this thing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor: The Dark World

Surprisingly good. It certainly doesn't top The Avengers (what would?) but it's about in line with the excellent Iron Man 3. It even has Chris O'Dowd and Thor riding the London Underground. Marvel's Phase 2 is shaping up nicely.

Thor out of five

*getting coat*
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013 edited
    GRAVITY
    Saw the movie in 3D and while this certainly added visual flair, I'm not entirely convinced that just 2D would have been less spectacular. Obviously the real attraction are the fantastic visuals and feel of being there above Earth. I don't know how this was done but it's all very convincing. The camera is rarely still. It's floating around, going through crazy angles and beautiful backgrounds, in space without any gravity at all. Some of the scenes, like the first 10 minutes, are long unbroken shots. Impressive, and indeed brings back some of what the director did in Children of Men. [spoiler]The scene where the ISS is destroyed by the debris had my eyes jump out. Absolutely crazy. Another wonderful image was the descent to Earth, with the debris catching fire when it entered the atmosphere. Fantastic stuff.[/spoiler]

I didn't have much problems with the story. The history of the main character is not so interesting and I didn't really care about that, though her personal change during the movie is a lot better to accept. Anyway, the movie is definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

The score is not as spectacular on cd as in the movie, but the music does it job well. Having to replace the lack of sound in space, the score is very ambient and aggressive in places. The two finale pieces, Shenzou and Gravity, are worth listening, especially the former, as well as for example Debris, which is one of those very nervous and aggressive.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    hmph, shit, cgi Yoda is.

Kind of half watching Star Wars Ep 3, it's great when Ian McDiarmid is on screen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt