• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    Anthony wrote
    Thor: The Dark World

Surprisingly good. It certainly doesn't top The Avengers (what would?) but it's about in line with the excellent Iron Man 3. It even has Chris O'Dowd and Thor riding the London Underground. Marvel's Phase 2 is shaping up nicely.

Thor out of five

*getting coat*

Went to see it tonight and had great fun !
    The action , drama and comedy is well balanced ...
    "Mind the gap !" wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    hmph, shit, cgi Yoda is.

Kind of half watching Star Wars Ep 3, it's great when Ian McDiarmid is on screen.

If it weren't' for the brilliant Ian McDiarmid Episodes 1-3 would rarely get a look in from me.
    It's he and he alone that ads colour and character to an otherwise bland (in character and personality) trilogy.

Oh, and the terrific music of course. That's obvious!
  1. The beginning of "Gravity" is not one long unbroken shot. It's all fake except the faces of the actors which are added to the helmets.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    The beginning of "Gravity" is not one long unbroken shot. It's all fake except the faces of the actors which are added to the helmets.

Whether it's done in virtual or real cinematography, it's all one long shot (actually TWO long shots, there is an edit at some point in the first 15 minutes).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. justin boggan wrote
    The beginning of "Gravity" is not one long unbroken shot. It's all fake except the faces of the actors which are added to the helmets.

What? The film actually wasn't filmed in outer space? explode

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Yes. They spent 3,5 months in space, but found it hard to rehearse, because they started getting dizzy wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just saw GRAVITY for the second time in the cinema...this time with my father, who is visiting Oslo. God, I love that film!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm going to see it next week. Looking forward to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013
    christopher wrote
    I thought the score for MOS was not good. If you score every scene as though it is the epic thing to every grace the silver screen, then none of it ends up feeling epic. I liked the scenes on Krypton a lot, but then the score stayed at that level for the rest of the film, with hardly a quiet moment.

[spoiler]Well, considering that the movie started on an epic planet, filled with epic technology and epic lifeforms, soon consumed by an epic rebellion, the epic escape and death of Jor-El, the epic launch of baby Kal-El, the epic banishment of Zod and his minions, the epic destruction of the planet, the epic rescue of oil rig workers, the epic discovery and take-off of the huge spaceship in the Arctic, the countless epic flight sequences, the death of Supes' adoptive father by an epic tornado, the epic arrival of Zod, the epic dream sequence, the epic Matrix 3 fights, the epic near-destruction of the Earth by epic terraforming "world engines" that Supes destroys epically, I think the film is scored appropriately.[/spoiler]

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think I just wrote the longest sentence in the history of mankind.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
    ^ It was EPIC!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
  4. Touché, Peter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

I don't get it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    Let me get you Peter's coat, Thor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    I thought the score for MOS was not good. If you score every scene as though it is the epic thing to every grace the silver screen, then none of it ends up feeling epic. I liked the scenes on Krypton a lot, but then the score stayed at that level for the rest of the film, with hardly a quiet moment.

[spoiler]Well, considering that the movie started on an epic planet, filled with epic technology and epic lifeforms, soon consumed by an epic rebellion, the epic escape and death of Jor-El, the epic launch of baby Kal-El, the epic banishment of Zod and his minions, the epic destruction of the planet, the epic rescue of oil rig workers, the epic discovery and take-off of the huge spaceship in the Arctic, the countless epic flight sequences, the death of Supes' adoptive father by an epic tornado, the epic arrival of Zod, the epic dream sequence, the epic Matrix 3 fights, the epic near-destruction of the Earth by epic terraforming "world engines" that Supes destroys epically, I think the film is scored appropriately.[/spoiler]

Peter cool

Yes, Epic rubbish from beginning to end.

I love Man of Steel threads biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013
    Thor wrote

I don't get it.

Look here. Here are some MT examples.

Peter biggrin
  5. plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't get it.

Peter biggrin

The fact that I'm responsible for two out of your five examples makes me unspeakably proud. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You have a lot to be ashamed of. Well done! thumbsup

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't get it.

Peter biggrin

I see.

I'm stupid. spin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Had a bit of cinema marathon today, seeing both ENDER'S GAME and RAGNAROK. Didn't care much for the first, but the second was a nice INDIANA JONES/JURASSIC PARK-type romp with stunning effects for a Norwegian movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013
    The croods (trailer)

Great movie! Funny, inventive, insane, cute, silly and the emotional moments were done to perfection.

Rating: 8

Elysium (trailer)

Loved it. Damon did his usual stuff, but he's always entertaining to watch. Foster I found to be excellent and Copley even excellenter. Oh and that space station is über-cool.

Rating: 8

Død sne (Dead snow) (trailer)

A Norwegian horror/comedy clearly inspired by classics such as Braindead and Evil dead. The humour was excellent, and the blood and gore nearly reached Braindead proportions. Well done, Land of Thor.

Rating: 7..... or 8...... 7½ it is!

The stranger inside (trailer)

With my cousin being the producer, I must admit I'm a bit biased. The movie has gotten poor reviews, and with an imdb rating of 3,6 I didn't expect much, but I actually found it surprisingly well made. Great cinematography, good cast (William Baldwin, Estella Warren & Sarah Butler), just the right atmosphere, a good score by Søren Hyldgaard and the twist ending was different than I had expected (though not highly original).

Rating: 6

Turbo (trailer)

I normally enjoy these kinds of animated movies, but this one was too formulaic and I found the unrealistic message grating ("whatever your dreams are, no matter how unrealistic, you just have to follow them and one day they will come true" *sigh*). Most of these types of movies can be enjoyed by kids and parents alike, but I think this one is solely for the kids.

Rating: 4

Peter smile
  6. Well done, Land of Thor.

It was made in Asgard? confused
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well done, Land of Thor.

It was made in Asgard? confused

Don't be silly! Valhalla, man, VALHALLA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Valhalla is in Asgård.

*senses a person here is not a true viking.

Peter wink
  7. I'm watching holocaust survivor testimony videos. I'm in this one right now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcMYE_6Qrrg
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Particularly when I throw in the barb that I tried to get into BOARDWALK EMPIRE recently, but the filmmaking bored me.)

I don't get that. I seriously do not understand it.
    I could perfectly get (however lamentable) how the era, actors, story or mood could possibly not appeal to everyone....but boring? I honestly don't see that at all.

Do you mean its pace is slow?
    It is, at times, but it doesn't bother me one bit: no scene, no character seems superfluous or without relevant information (with the possible exception of the introduction of the character of Gyp Rosetti in season 3, whose incredibly hammy Maffia heavy rivals that of Bruce Gordon's Frank Nitti in the 1950s The Untouchables).

The direction is as taut as anything. The set pieces are incredible.
    'Boring' of all epithets is one I simply can't see applies! dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013
    ^
    Man but was that subway train good or what!? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    C'mon! That's as low as noting the little Marklin signs on the houses Godzilla stomps!

Incidentally I just found out that The Untouchables series are seriously reduced in price over at Amazon!
    Mesa gonna get!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    C'mon! That's as low as noting the little Marklin signs on the houses Godzilla stomps!

I know, but I actually get a thrill out of a bit of model work.

[b]Incidentally I just found out that The Untouchables series are seriously reduced in price over at Amazon!
    Mesa gonna get!

Darn tooting! One of my fave shows ever.