• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    Oh yes, as a child I was gutted that it wasn't ME in the Godzilla suit walking through power cables and pylons and railroads and cities....destroying every fookin' thing in my atomic-lizard booted path.

though, of course, I would have played with the giant railway layouts first before suiting up. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013
    On ITV right now is PROPER STAR WARS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But is it the unmolested proper Proper Star Wars?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    But is it the unmolested proper Proper Star Wars?

Alas tis not. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bah, humbug!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Particularly when I throw in the barb that I tried to get into BOARDWALK EMPIRE recently, but the filmmaking bored me.)

I don't get that. I seriously do not understand it.
    I could perfectly get (however lamentable) how the era, actors, story or mood could possibly not appeal to everyone....but boring? I honestly don't see that at all.

Do you mean its pace is slow?

Actually I'm not sure what I meant by boring. It could just be the thing where TV shows take a while to gain momentum (to the point where it's often better to join in season 2). There are enough that shoot the lights out from the get-go that I don't hang around long with the shows that you really have to stick with to grow on you. LOST also lost me as an audience within a few episodes for this reason.

I did find Scorsese's direction a bit boring. I used to think this guy could do anything, back around the time of KUNDUN and that general period of his work. I'm sure he can but it seems people only really want him to do that organised crime thing. He seemed bored with it in BOARDWALK.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013
    You know Scorcese only directed the very first episode, right? He's 'just' an executive producer for the rest.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Yes, and maybe it's just a pilot thing (writing hadn't kicked into gear), but the later ones felt stronger in the direction.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. "Wizards of the Demon Sword" (1991)

TERRIBLE. There's good cheese, and then there's TERRIBLE cheese. This was TERRIBLE cheese. Bad acting, bad writing, really bad synth music. Good God -- somebody funded this movie!

I made it only a few minutes in.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Just saw the 4th episode of the third season of The Walking Dead (I remember Erik said it was Emmy material).

Anyway, absolutely gutted about that one sad . Jeezus, what a powerful, horrific emotional roller coaster sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013
    You're still at season 3 Thomas ? shocked C'mon keep up my good man ! wink
    Still lots of shocking things for you to look forward too then ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Eric wrote
    You're still at season 3 Thomas ? shocked C'mon keep up my good man ! wink
    Still lots of shocking things for you to look forward too then ... smile

The blu-ray is just out, and even though season 4 is on PRIME, we'll wait for the blu-ray release in september next year. Yes, this is one we're not downloading shocked

and I'm pretty sure there will be many more shocks to come shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Just saw the 4th episode of the third season of The Walking Dead (I remember Erik said it was Emmy material).

It was Emmy material but the Emmy's seem to ignore this show at all costs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Just saw the 4th episode of the third season of The Walking Dead (I remember Erik said it was Emmy material).

It was Emmy material but the Emmy's seem to ignore this show at all costs.

-Erik-

that's a real shame, because this is one of the best series I've ever seen. And I've seen a bunch in my life. Right up there with 24 in way I'm emotionally reacting to the series.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013
    Me and Mel went to see GRAVITY tonight.

BRILLIANT!

10/10
  7. Aren't you supposed to be in bed at this time of night? tongue

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote

BRILLIANT!

10/10

punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    Timmer wrote

BRILLIANT!

10/10

punk

I liked what I heard of the score too, somewhere between Eno and Martinez? I dunno, but I'd like to hear the album.
  8. And an RCP anthem at the end. Yeah, I actually realised there was quite a bit of An Ending (Ascent) in the more calm metaphysical scenes, thanks for the confirmation!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013 edited
    Glad you liked it as well.

The score is on Spotify btw. Some parts are very addictive!
    Kazoo
  9. Timmer wrote

BRILLIANT!

10/10

yeah
  10. "Monument Ave." (1998)

Starring Denis Leary and Colm Meaney. Meaney plays a meany, and Leary plays a leary person.

A thought-out film that knows where it was going and everythign is set up as such, and you often realize that after-the-fact.

But despite that, it wasn't a great film, it was okay

Leary and a group of friends steal cars, Meaney is the boss. Everybody hates Meaney. People die. Leary comes to realizations in his life.

The score is by music editor Todd Kasow. I see five scoring credits on his IMDb filmography, including one episode of "The Equalizer".

There's probably six minutes of "score" in the film. It's essentially synth droning. I kid you not -- imagine pressing down one key on a synthesizer and it goes "oooooOOOOooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOoooo" for nearly three minutes and you've accurately imagined the score. One cue actually did that for almost three minutes, then some piano tinkles came in. Another scene it was so loud it was competing with the dialogue in the film and it was like beating you over the fucking head; some kind of Chinese water torture device, only with synth sounds.
    But what makes it even more baffeling -- in the end credits (this is missing from IMDb, but I've just submitted it) is says "piano improvisations" by somebody named Terry Disley. So, Kasow didn't even do the piano or write the part played. He's credited with doing a score some sound effects editor could have thrown together in minutes. Odd unless they dropped good portions of the score. This films could have really benefitted from some spare real scoring to highten certain scenes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013
    A PRC film from 1945 "Waterfront" starring John Carradine and J. Carroll Naish both Universal supporting actors. Can you name the horror movie they both starred in?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  11. Yes, but I used Google.

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013
    House of Frankenstein is the answer with Carradine being Dracula and Nash being Daniel Karloff's assistant. For those who don't have this one it is available on Naxos and well worth having.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/h … nd-dessau/
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  12. GRAVITY

This is my last 3D film. Makes film seem so unnatural for me. I felt more involved when I watched the trailer on YouTube.

Simple story well told but nothing special.

The score worked well and I like how the score marked the change in the camera's viewpoint.

6/10 at best
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013
    PACIFIC RIM

Del Toro's film took a bit of a kicking from critics but I enjoyed it a lot, giant robot suits v giant space lizards from the sea....what's not to like? wink

7+/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    GRAVITY

This is my last 3D film. Makes film seem so unnatural for me. I felt more involved when I watched the trailer on YouTube.

Simple story well told but nothing special.

The score worked well and I like how the score marked the change in the camera's viewpoint.

6/10 at best

You're one of the few I've talked to that aren't totally enamoured with the film. Which is fine -- wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed. For me, though, it's the best film I've seen this year and one of the most perfect uses of 3D I've ever seen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    PACIFIC RIM

Del Toro's film took a bit of a kicking from critics but I enjoyed it a lot, giant robot suits v giant space lizards from the sea....what's not to like? wink

7+/10

I thought this was terrible! My wife and I actually fell asleep halfway through. Great special effects but the rest was truly Godawful! Hated each and every character in that movie! Garbage!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I watched Pacific Rim the other day. I wouldn't have minded all the senseless robot/alien fighting except I didn't care about any of it.