• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    Leatherheads

A very unusual film which has moments of slapstick comedy, moments of absurdist humour, romance and drama. Enjoyed it. George Clooney has terrific comic timing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wild Russia

A truly magnificent series I've just finished watching on the National Geographic channel. Amazing footage of the wildlife of this vast country. It was quite long (eight parts) which meant it was able to go into a bit more depth than the typical BBC "coffee table book" approach, and it was missing the gimmicks (all the time-lapse photography, the CG enhancements) which have been a feature of recent BBC wildlife programmes (which I still love, of course). HD television was made for stuff like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Two Faces of Jekyll, the Hammer film, with a really good score from Monty Norman.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    La Sconosciuta

Saw this last night. Tornatore, Morricone and Xenia Rappaport. Simply outstanding! It's a grim story of a woman with a troubled past who's desperately trying to find that one last thing of importance to her.
    It's a different Tornatore film in the sense that it's a thriller with a narrative that throws a lot of quick cuts to disturbing flashbacks adding to the mystery which gradually gets resolved at the end.

Rappaport is stunning with a performance that I'd rate over Helen Mirren's Queen (the Oscar winner that year).

Morricone's score is perfect! A lot of it is unsettling owing to the grim nature of the film, but he hits all the tender moments with that heart-wrenchingly beautiful waltz/lullaby. I couldn't help but cry at the end. And after the credits I rewound back to the last minute of the movie and cried again. It's powerful. I then saw the entire director's commentary after that. Whoah! I am a sentimental mush.

The director's commentary is very informative and entertaining. Tornatore takes a dig at the reviewers who questioned the purpose and plausibility of certain scenes ('even my doorman understood that'). He asked Ennio to not use a thematic approach and instead to score each scene without any repeating themes (with some exceptions). The main waltz is what he and Ennio called 'The Strawberry theme'. He was also amazed at how Ennio wrote an entire theme on the spot, in front of the orchestra when Tornatore felt that a piece wasn't working. They have a lot of love and respect for each other!

All in all, a satisfying Morricone birthday celebration for me! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Has this score been released yet?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, about two years ago. By the way, it's a very-very good movie. And I also love the score even though the majority of it is not an easy listen. But the movie is not an easy film either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

It's Morricone's best recent score, I think (though outside the incredible melodic opening piece it can be quite challenging).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's Morricone's best recent score, I think (though outside the incredible melodic opening piece it can be quite challenging).

is it better than Baaria?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, in my opinion. It has a gorgeous main theme that appears here and there in the score but the bulk of the music is very grim and not a particularly easy listen. But still, it's good and fits the movie like a glove. It's also good that the beautiful main theme doesn't appear too often during the movie because when it does appear in the final scene it has an enormous emotional effect.
    Baaria, on the other hand is a nice and lyrical listen with more than one beautiful themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like Baaria a lot, but I think La Sconosciuta is probably the last Morricone score that truly blew me away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, in my opinion. It has a gorgeous main theme that appears here and there in the score but the bulk of the music is very grim and not a particularly easy listen. But still, it's good and fits the movie like a glove. It's also good that the beautiful main theme doesn't appear too often during the movie because when it does appear in the final scene it has an enormous emotional effect.
    Baaria, on the other hand is a nice and lyrical listen with more than one beautiful themes.

Thanks. Baaria is gorgeous, for sure. Has the other one been released yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    Yes, I remember your review of it. I also like it a lot, and I say it again, it's tailor-made for the movie, but I still prefer the more melodic side of the Maestro.

^
    Answer to James
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Three years ago!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Three years ago!

shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Don't worry about it - it's not an easy task to keep up with the flow of Morricone releases! (Though new scores have dried up considerably in the last couple of years, of course.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has anyone seen 'Red Cliff'?????
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    sdtom wrote
    Has anyone seen 'Red Cliff'?????

I think that it is coming out next week in the theaters in North America. I'm not sure about Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well, it is going to get reviewed by me without benefit of having seen the film.
    Thomas
  1. I've seen it. What info do you need? I saw the Western abbreviated version only though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Southall wrote
    Leatherheads

A very unusual film which has moments of slapstick comedy, moments of absurdist humour, romance and drama. Enjoyed it. George Clooney has terrific comic timing.

I strongly agree. Clooney is a great actor all around, but he really shines in comedies. I thought Leatherheads was such an enjoyable film!

I just saw The Visitor. It was a very well made film. The acting was very good - nothing over-the-top. They seemed like very real people. It was simple but very compelling story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also really appreciated Kaczmarek's score. It was so smart. As long as the main character was in his samey life the score was very piano dominated with classical western structure (fitting given what we learn about his wife). As he begins to warm to his Syrian and Senegalese (sp?) friends the soundtrack complete changes. It sounds very international, and there's no piano to be seen. I thought it was a very smart score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    christopher wrote
    Southall wrote
    Leatherheads

I strongly agree. Clooney is a great actor all around, but he really shines in comedies. I thought Leatherheads was such an enjoyable film!

I forgot to mention Randy Newman's hilarious (but barely-recognisable) cameo appearance.

Tonight I watched Rising Sun. Don't think I've seen it before. Decent thriller with a few unexpected plot twists. Surprisingly bog-standard score, given it was by Toru Takemitsu. Jerry Goldsmith could have really made that film shine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    Hmm, don't remember that cameo. Perhaps that's because of the whole barely recognizable thing.

edit: Wait! He's playing the piano during a bar brawl! I remember that, now. That was a fun scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think it's just priceless, the way he keeps deadpan throughout (including when he smashes a bottle over someone's head).
  3. That was awesome! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've seen it. What info do you need? I saw the Western abbreviated version only though.

Listening to the score it almost seems like it doesn't fit the film right as it is quite subtle. What was your impression on how it fit in the film.
  4. It was mixed very loudly and rather repetitive. The first piece, main theme really worked wonders, giving it an epic touch.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    10.000 BC

Just an appetizer for tonight´s 2012. It´s so ridiculously hilarious and naive that I liked it. Watching a mammoths stampede in a pyramid is one of the funniest moments I´ve ever watched in a movie. The wigs the characters wear are pretty fun too. And what´s with Emmerich and pyramids? There´s even an Stargate inside joke when one of the characters refers to the egyptians as "the ones coming from the stars".

Music wise, I have to admit I like the main theme in its different arrangements. Simple but effective. The rest of the score, well, a couple of decent action cues that I barely remember but fit well the picture.

2 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd give it about the same rating Marcel, it was fun in a stoopid way and I'm a bit of a sucker for Mammoths, Sabre Tooth cats and flesh eating prehistoric birds.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Oh yes, I´ve forogtten to mention the :sabre tooth cat: and the :flesh eating birds: !
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nothing spectacular that "10.000 BC", but I think the constant derision it receives is a bit over the top. It's entertaining enough and worth a watch.

Gave it a 6 on imdb.

Peter smile