• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    Into the Wild

This wasn't what I expected (not really sure what I DID expect) but I really liked it. Quite moving in a strange way.

Me too. Beautifully shot and strangely captivating/interesting all the time.

But the hubbla about the music was a bit overrated. Who was it again? Eddie Vadder? Never heard of him, and his songs aren't that special.

Never heard of Eddie Vedder???? Of this band? And this sublime debut album?

Whaaaaaaaahhh !!!!!!!!!! crazy

No kidding. shocked Pearl Jam's Ten is, IMHO, one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Vedder's tunes in Into The Wild were sublime and should have garnered him at least one an Academy Award nomination. His remake of "Hard Sun" is phenomenal and is one of my most played non-soundtrack tunes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never heard of a release for that one Tom, maybe there's a theme or suite on one of the Hammer compilations?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    No no no! It's not crap ! It's the most entertaining film of 2009 so far. If you think ID4 was ace then you will more than likely like this.

Who wouldn't want to see the destruction of the world? Seriously.

I think Star Trek is the most entertaining film of the year. Even the weaker films I've seen like District 9 and Adventureland are better than 2012.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I thought ID4 was unbearably cheesy americanized crap. But i loved THE KNOWING, or even THE HAPPENING. My tastes are weird...

Yeah, tastes are weird, I really enjoyed Knowing ( not least because of Beltrami's excellent score ), thought The Happening was a really bad film and ID4 just made me want to vomit

ID4 is one of the worst films ever made, seriously.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah! There's many worse films but thankfully I've forgotten most of them until I get reminded.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I thought ID4 was unbearably cheesy americanized crap. But i loved THE KNOWING, or even THE HAPPENING. My tastes are weird...

Yeah, tastes are weird, I really enjoyed Knowing ( not least because of Beltrami's excellent score ), thought The Happening was a really bad film and ID4 just made me want to vomit

ID4 is one of the worst films ever made, seriously.

I'm seeing THE KNOWING this weekend. I loved ID4; the perfect pop-some-popcorn-turn-your-brain-off summer blockbuster. "Welcome Da Earff!" And THE HAPPENING is one of the greatest comedies of all time!

Elliot Moore: Hello? My name is Elliot Moore. Just want to talk in a very positive manner, giving off good vibes. We're just here to use the bathroom, and then we're just going to leave. I hope that's OK.
    [feels the plant]
    Elliot Moore: Plastic. I'm talking to a plastic plant.
    [pauses]
    Elliot Moore: I'm still doing it.

Gold!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik You're Da Man !!!! punk cheesy wave

I'm with you all the way on Independence Day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I actually liked Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith are some of my favorite characters of a disaster movie!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Don't forget Jeff's dad in the film: Judd Hirsch is hilarious. biggrin

I really like the characters in this flick, more so than in any other Emmerich: they're not portrayed realistically, but they are endearing and interesting to watch.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was somewhat enjoyable up to point the American president took off to fight the evil terrrrst aliens. Then it was when i wanted to hit the tv real hard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I've never heard of a release for that one Tom, maybe there's a theme or suite on one of the Hammer compilations?

Totally unaware that Norman did stuff like that. I liked it a lot
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    It was somewhat enjoyable up to point the American president took off to fight the evil terrrrst aliens. Then it was when i wanted to hit the tv real hard.

But the prez is such a nice guy, you want him to give it all and fight the aliens. Like I said, not realistic but why the hell should summer blockbusters be like that? It's all about the heroes fighting the good fight. It's an awesome feel-good movie and after 9-11 those have become a rarity, now it's it all gritty and realistic and depressing. We need us some gung-ho heroics from time to time. That's why, for me, thanks to the actors, the humour, the score, and the amazing effects sequences, the movie is a rousing success.
  5. My favorite part was when the British started receiving Morse Code messages and one of them flipped around in his chair to report something like "Sir! It's the American's! They have a plan!" To which the commanding officer replied, "It's about time! What do they plan to do?" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But the prez is such a nice guy, you want him to give it all and fight the aliens. Like I said, not realistic but why the hell should summer blockbusters be like that? It's all about the heroes fighting the good fight. It's an awesome feel-good movie and after 9-11 those have become a rarity, now it's it all gritty and realistic and depressing. We need us some gung-ho heroics from time to time. That's why, for me, thanks to the actors, the humour, the score, and the amazing effects sequences, the movie is a rousing success.

There's limits to everything mate, i do enjoy silly american blockbusters A LOT, but there's limits to everything, limits to crap and cheese i can handle. ID4 is beyond it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    My favorite part was when the British started receiving Morse Code messages and one of them flipped around in his chair to report something like "Sir! It's the American's! They have a plan!" To which the commanding officer replied, "It's about time! What do they plan to do?" wink

Pure gold!

It's embarrassing but I get goosebumps during the President's speech. Sure, it's a cheesy rah-rah speech but for some reason it hits the right chord and I think I have to give a lot of credit to David Arnold's score during that scene.

Later, during the final battle, the kid in me stands up and starts cheering when Randy Quaid's character screams in with his F-16 after the President asks if anyone has any missiles left. David Arnold pours it on with the "Cropduster Theme" as Quaid gets ready to fire the last remaining missile. But, the missile locks and Arnold blares the French Horns signifying the oh shit moment... an awesome 2 seconds of music I wish was on the soundtrack. So now Randy Quaid has to fly himself into belly of the alien ship yelling "Hello boys, I'mmm baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!" He does all this just in nick of time. Big explosion, the heroes win! It's crowd pleasing stuff! It's what the movies are all about. Pure fun!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    My favorite part was when the British started receiving Morse Code messages and one of them flipped around in his chair to report something like "Sir! It's the American's! They have a plan!" To which the commanding officer replied, "It's about time! What do they plan to do?" wink

It doesn't get less realistic than that! biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

There's limits to everything mate, i do enjoy silly american blockbusters A LOT, but there's limits to everything, limits to crap and cheese i can handle. ID4 is beyond it.

I thought it was great for about 20 minutes....and then it got cheeseadelic and became a craparamic vomitfest!
  6. Those of some of the best adjectives I've ever read.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    STAR TREK

One of the very limited number of films that is just as good on blu ray as it is in the cinema. Volume up! Booooom! punk
  7. I'm going to buy this soon, on blu. I've read it has stunning audio and video. And I skipped it in the threatre just so I could watch it at home in all its glory.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Unlike MI3 the score actually has a decent mix and can actually be heard with several standout loud moments. Hell yes! punk
  8. Anthony wrote
    Hence why it was second worst.

lol

I think 2012 is what a disaster movie needs to be like, incredible disasters, good enough characters (I think Cusack and Peet are just perfect for each other, hence the reason this is their 3rd collaboration together?) and just good old fun
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. 2012 is fun... Transformers 2 is not.

That is all there is to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Sorstalansag (Fateless)
    Yet another weekend with a Morricone movie! This was good. The entire movie is viewed through a young Jewish boy's experience in the labor camps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    2012 – A must see movie in theater

Yesterday, I saw this movie in theater, wow! What a roller coaster ride? Awesome! Roland Emmerich is once again proved his genius in presenting the movie with grand visual effects. At present, I believe after Spielberg, Cameron, Peter Jackson and Robert Zemeckis, I think he is quite best in handling the visual effects department. Again, 2012 proves to be typical Roland’s movie where you can see more disasters. According to me, 2012 is far better than his previous movies like 10,000 BC and The Day After Tomorrow. This time he handled the subject meticulously despite the usual clichés. I think audience would easily ignore the clichés and enjoy the great cinematic visual experience that never had before by the audiences around the world.

The highlight of the film is certainly the massive earthquake in California scene, this would just bring you to the edge of the seat. Recently, this is one of the best CGI work I have ever seen. In fact, that whole scene doesn’t look like graphics, it was so realistic. Hats off to Roland and CGI crew members! Of course, there are other scenes which will blow you away but to me, that particular massive earthquake is real highlight of the film.

Surprisingly, score worked very well in the movie. I don’t say its too bad or too good but ok. Honestly speaking, I couldn’t hear the score because visual and sound effects have completely dominated the music. However, I have a feeling that David Arnold should have composed score for this type of disaster movies. Oh! Mr.Roland, please think about it, at least, in future.

Overall, this is really great movie and wonderful finish to the year 2009. Of course, one more movie to come that is Cameron’s AVATAR. As of now, I believe 2012 is very strong contender for this year Academy award nomination for best sound and best visual effects.

I recommend you all to watch this movie in theater alone. That will certainly give you great cinematic experience. Don’t miss it.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Sorstalansag (Fateless)
    Yet another weekend with a Morricone movie! This was good. The entire movie is viewed through a young Jewish boy's experience in the labor camps.

I thought it was good. Found the ending very powerful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil

I forget to add one thing that this time for a change an Indian saves the half world. Hmmm... interesting. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote

lol applause Despite those silly moments, i enjoyed watching ID4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

lol applause Despite those silly moments, i enjoyed watching ID4.

Well, i guess everyone should do this with this movie, that is the point anyway but i just could not! It was too much brain cell burning for me to handle. wink
  10. Sunil wrote
    2012 – A must see movie in theater

Surprisingly, score worked very well in the movie. I don’t say its too bad or too good but ok. Honestly speaking, I couldn’t hear the score because visual and sound effects have completely dominated the music. However, I have a feeling that David Arnold should have composed score for this type of disaster movies. Oh! Mr.Roland, please think about it, at least, in future.

Seeing this is supposedly Emmerich's final disaster epic and the last time Arnold wrote for him was 1998, my guess is another Emmerich - Arnold collaboration seems unlikely, though I understand your frustration. Like I stated earlier it would have been the perfect opportunity for the two to combine forces.

I'm glad you enjoyed the film Sunil, I did too.