• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    The score was very good. The film was beautifully shot but like has been said earlier I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. I will say though, that unlike the majority of recent films many of the images stayed with me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I think part of the reason I love the film so much is that I was a "loner" kid, not by choice or personality but by force, so the film made me identify strongly with Oskar and make me wish I had had someone like Eli to befriend and protect and be protected by.

Psychologically speaking smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I think part of the reason I love the film so much is that I was a "loner" kid, not by choice or personality but by force, so the film made me identify strongly with Oskar and make me wish I had had someone like Eli to befriend and protect and be protected by.

Psychologically speaking smile

We've all been to that stage in our lives in some point in time, i believe. I could relate too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly everybody (yes. Literally) I spoke to who liked this film at some point admitted to having been a loner/bullied kid around that age. Apparently there's a clear echo there that speaks to them!

(Even more interestingly: so was I, yet I seem to be the exception to the rule).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I should watch it then. I am still a loner.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly everybody (yes. Literally) I spoke to who liked this film at some point admitted to having been a loner/bullied kid around that age. Apparently there's a clear echo there that speaks to them!

(Even more interestingly: so was I, yet I seem to be the exception to the rule).

It's all part of growing up i guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Finally saw 2012. Absurd coincidences, predictability, impossible events, an excess of near escapes, cultural stereotyping with ridiculous accents, painfully unoriginal characters, tons of mayhem and destruction.

In summary, I loved it! No one does crap quite as brillliantly as Hollywood.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Kærlighed på film (Just Another Love Story)
    Danish film from 2007 that's quite a bit of a love story, thriller and mystery all rolled into one. I really liked this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard of that one before, despite being a dane.

Peter shame
  2. Last night I saw Star Trek for the first time. I really liked it! The story line, effects, and acting were all great. I didn't even mind the constant lens flares or shaky camera. It moved at a good clip, and while the actors weren't always perfectly convincing in their portrayals of the original cast, they all did well, I thought. It was fantastic to see Nemoy playing Spock again. That alone would have been worth watching the whole film. But it's nice that the rest of the film was so enjoyable, too.

A couple of minor gripes. It was kind of weird to see Spock and Uhura (Ohura?) romantically involved....okay it was really weird. And kind of came out of no where in the film, too. Sulu is now a swordsman? Good thing the guy on that platform had a sword too and not a gun. Finally, it was nice to hear Leonard Nemoy do the voiceover at the end of the show again, but it didn't hold up to the way he did it in ST II at all.

On the score, I think I liked it more in the film than on album, even though the main theme gets played 20 times, or so. At least I was humming a main theme after the film was over. That hasn't happened since...the last time Giacchino scored a film smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    If you were familiar with TOS you would know that Sulu is indeed an expert swordsman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited
    Cool another random useful fact of life. Sulu's into swordfighting. I can now die in pieces ... I mean peace. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    If you were familiar with TOS you would know that Sulu is indeed an expert swordsman.

Exactly. EVERYONE (who's as geeky as us) knows that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Exactly. EVERYONE (who's as geeky as us) knows that!

And we'll all soon be rushing out to get ourselves one of these. Oh yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    Et Apres (Afterwards)
    The basic premise is iffy-- John Malkovich can see when people are going to die, and acts as a messenger to tell them that the end is nigh, and to make the best of what little time they have. To that you add Romain Duris who is separated from his wife and daughter, and you have an interesting setup. There are 3 fabulous things in this movie--- the beautiful cinematography, the lovely Evangeline Lilly, and the delicate Desplat score. Nothing else matters.
  3. I like it already.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    I have to say, if I could pick one person in the world who was going to be the person to tell me I was about to die, I'm not sure I'd want it to be John Malkovich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why? I'd assume you are fond of his acting....i really like Malkovich anyway, and coupled with the already well-known to me and loved Desplat score, i sure am going to watch it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    I am fond of his acting. I just wouldn't want him to be the one telling me the news.
  4. But would you mind Evangeline Lilly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I am fond of his acting. I just wouldn't want him to be the one telling me the news.

'Cause he would be terribly sarcastic i imagine..smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    No, that would be fine.

Just "fine"? Even this guy here would sound more excited.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I have to say, if I could pick one person in the world who was going to be the person to tell me I was about to die, I'm not sure I'd want it to be John Malkovich.

I feel ya freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    RV:

Up - 5/5

I guess I'm not exaggerating when I say this more than deserves to be called a real Pixar classic. Stunning animation, excellent story, superb voice acting and excellent music. After significant time have I got a tear in my eyes watching an animated film (especially in the Stuff We Did part), kudos to the plot. The cinematography and animation is simply stunning, especially the balloons emerging from the house during the first take-off sequence, the storm scene, escape from Muntz's lair and the final airborne battle. Terrific ending too. Giacchino's score is nothing short of stunning, if it doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination it'll be a sin. Even the simple piano versions of Ellie's theme work wonders in the movie, and Memories Can Weigh You Down gave me goosebumps. A real achievement all around, full stars without a doubt.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    No, that would be fine.

Just "fine"? Even this guy here would sound more excited.

You think Robin Hood watches Lost?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Ooh boy, forgot to mention this awesome movie that I saw last week...

Don't Mess With The Zohan
    By far the best movie of last year. It has the guts to deal with the Israel-Palestine crisis without any crude humor. This is as far away from the stereotyped Adam-Sandler-movie as one can get. Highly recommended! tongue
    http://imgur.com/5jLio.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously? I thought it was ridiculously cheesy and idiotic americanized cliched humor, trying to copy Borat and Bruno, only resulting in big FAIL and immature gags.

Hmmm..what different tastes do to you, eh? wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    New Moon

I admit it, I only saw it for the Desplat score, and it's amazing how it turns the movie from a sudsy melodramatic pap about werewolves and so-called vampires into something close to entertaining. His work elevates the movie, and I personally think this is one of Desplat's best scores to date -- the end title music is just beautiful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog