• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Memoirs of a geisha

My rating: 5 out of 10

I thought the film was so ravishing to look at, I was willing to forgive all the various bad things about it.

Well, just the looks of it is what's so nice and polished, imo. How can someone like the film and not its gorgeous score?

Mr. DT obviously has a thing for fancy dressed underage Japanese girls. kiss

DOUBLE FAIL

Zhang Ziyi was anything but underaged while shooting Geisha. She was 26.

And secondly, she's chinese.

And I never said I didn't like Williams' gorgeous score. On the contrary, it's what makes me so adore the film, besides that underage japanese chick.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I'm currently rewatching the Harry Potter's series.
    Liking the scores, but not all of them equally.

Definitely Williams though...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010 edited
    Dood,

Her character was nine years old when she started her Geisha journey.

Her character was also Japanese.

I don't care if the actress was 34 and from India either. It's a movie, i talk about the movie's characters.

As for the score, weren't you who said something about "a gorgeous main theme and lots of asian rumbling / underscore" (or something like that)? If not, then i confused you with someone else with poor taste.

But hey, don't get mad dood, who wouldn't like their own geisha? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Dood,

Her character was nine years old when she started her Geisha journey.

Her character was also Japanese.

I don't care if the actress was 34 and from India either. It's a movie, i talk about the movie's characters.

As for the score, weren't you who said something about "a gorgeous main theme and lots of asian rumbling / underscore" (or something like that)? If not, then i confused you with someone else with poor taste.

But hey, don't get mad dood, who wouldn't like their own geisha? wink

Uhm okay then cool

the asian rumbling comment was definitely not by me. I merely said the second half of the album wasn't as interesting as the first half.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    Oh, i am sorry then, i thought it was you! shame I apologize for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010
    Broken Path (2008)

On an isolated ranch in the desert, one man must protect his wife from a secret past that he is now forced to confront. With the sun towering in the sky overhead, the ranch sits beneath the vast blue, isolated amidst the arid terrain, Though life is certainly evident as a house warming party ensues. Still under renovation, scaffolding and tools are strewn across the ranch, while benches and tables and are set up for the food and beverages. The neighbors chat amongst themselves as the hosts - Jack (Johnny Yong Bosch) and Lisa (Pamela Walworth) - hustle about to keep them entertained. As the evening creeps over the scene, the crowd disperses, and Maddy - the couple's daughter - prepares to leave for her first summer camp. By nightfall, they find themselves alone, the guests gone, Maddy on her way on the road, and the ranch left once again in the quiet. As Jack and Lisa prepare themselves for a summer of settling and renovating, they soon find themselves swept up into a storm of confusion and terror, as a group of ruthless, masked strangers descend upon their home. With the vicious group attacking relentlessly, Lisa watches as her husband reveals an impressive ability to defend and counteract the attack. As they are chased within their own home, struggling to survive, Lisa begins to question her husband, his past, his knowledge and his familiarity with one of their assailants who claims he wants to help them. With their hopeful new life quickly crumbling before their very eyes, the two must not only fight to survive, but also fight to save their own relationship and trust in one another in a whirlwind of action and chaos that stems from Jack's hidden past.

If you like your action/martial arts movies rough and bloody then this one's definitely for you .
    This hard to find movie is essentially one long 90 minute fight ! Well , let's say 75 minutes of it ... and awesome fighting it is ! Responsible for all this is director Koichi Sakamoto and the Alpha Stunts Team .
    The film also uses just one location but that didn't bother me one bit . The hits the actors take are
    numerous and they get back up most of the time which is a bit unrealistic but hey it's just a movie !
    If you're a fan of the genre this is a must view ! Others should stay away from it !
    Grab your popcorn !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. I just watched (finally) the social network and I have to say I liked it a lot. Mostly because the first half of the movie, the lines of the characters, the way the conversations were scripted soooooo reminded me of standard West Wing Aaron Sorkin writing. I love this guy.

There were also moments I really dug the score. I had no idea what to expect with this kind of movie, but Reznor and Ross pulled it off.

Now I have to go back and re-watch my West Wing DVD box and wait for new Sorkin material to appear.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad you liked it. The score works wonders in the great film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll Wake Up Screaming an early 1941 Noir film starring Victor Mature, Betty Grable, and Laird Cregar. The 20th Century film had a lot of schmalz however there were two interesting points. #1... The ending completely took me by surprise as I'm sure you would feel also. #2... The unoriginal material for this film consisted of Street Scene and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I don't think it worked well at all in many parts.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010 edited
    Eric wrote
    Broken Path (2008)

If you like your action/martial arts movies rough and bloody then this one's definitely for you .
    This hard to find movie is essentially one long 90 minute fight ! Well , let's say 75 minutes of it ... and awesome fighting it is ! Responsible for all this is director Koichi Sakamoto and the Alpha Stunts Team .
    The film also uses just one location but that didn't bother me one bit . The hits the actors take are
    numerous and they get back up most of the time which is a bit unrealistic but hey it's just a movie !
    If you're a fan of the genre this is a must view ! Others should stay away from it !
    Grab your popcorn !

Word?

Seems like something made for Thomas and I.

And the description seems like a mix of The Marine and Eden Lake.

We'll check it out soon Eric. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think tonight I'm going to watch Gun Crazy a really great noir film with a twisty ending also
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wonder if I'll Wake Up Screaming could be made available on CD
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I think tonight I'm going to watch Gun Crazy a really great noir film with a twisty ending also

I think I may watch Night of The Hunter later this evening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote

Word?

There are some trailers and stuff on Youtube but I wouldn't recommend watching them if you're planning on watching the entire film . Some of those clips have serious spoilers . This teaser is pretty safe to watch and gives you an idea of the action ... wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhz7dVW0xBA
    The film is only available on Region 1 and in South Africa which is the version I got ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

I think I may watch Night of The Hunter later this evening.

Night of the Hunter is classic Mitchum
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Rocketeer

I have sat through some dross in my time, but couldn't sit through this, so it became (I believe) the first film I have ever turned off half way through. Not in the mood at all. Will just listen to the CD instead.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    Broken Path (2008)

Grab your popcorn !

Word?

it indeed sounds like something fun

I'm especially looking forward to the new or soon to be released Donnie Yen movies smile

Thanks for the heads up Eric beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer

I have sat through some dross in my time, but couldn't sit through this, so it became (I believe) the first film I have ever turned off half way through. Not in the mood at all. Will just listen to the CD instead.

ah well, its indeed something that has aged during the years, but for me the music still makes it bareable smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer

Wise move.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer

Wise move.

WRONG! shocked

While The Rocketeer is hardly a masterpiece, it's a piece of nostalgic fun, much like Honey I Shrunk The Kids before it.

Both have tremendous Horner scores though. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Rocketeer isn't my idea of fun at all but yes, the score IS excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010 edited
    Just a question, do you guys watch films with the music loud, I mean like through a receiver / amp? Because that way you can enjoy the score, and as a result the film, when you're enveloped by the multichannel sound of the film.

Watching films through crappy TV speakers is something I've not done for many years now. Or I would have to be violently forced to do so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE!

The Flying Circus sequence is great! The rest of it is pure fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011
    Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer

Cool! I saw the same film yesterday (first-time) and managed to stay till the end. It's quite dated but fun.

I'm trying to catch up by watching all half-watched movies from my childhood. Back in the days before movie channels, our cable provider used to broadcast movies from his VCR. Too often we've had power outages that make us miss large chunks of the movie.

For the last couple of days I'm on a Delerue watching mode. Saw The Pick-up Artist, Steel Magnolias and Maid To Order. Each of them were enjoyable and I hope we can get a score release for Maid to Order (Maleficio has a youtube channel for score clips from the movie).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BBC-1 generously showed the greatest scene in film history shortly after midnight (Angelina Jolie's first appearance in Tomb Raider 2) so I enjoyed watching that.

I also watched Avatar, in 2D for the first time, and still loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE!

The Flying Circus sequence is great! The rest of it is pure fun!

-Erik-

yeah

I'm with you Erik !
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I enjoyed the two big band vocals from the film. The woman who sang had a captivating voice. The arrangements of Beguine and When Your Alone are standard textbook arrangements you can buy. The movie was a (*) if that
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BBC have something coming up called PLANET DINOSAUR, intriguing?
  8. I have to give credit to Anne for refering to the latest Indiana Jones movie (on BBC1 at the moment) as Indiana Jones and The Law of Diminishing Returns. Good one!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have to give credit to Anne for refering to the latest Indiana Jones movie (on BBC1 at the moment) as Indiana Jones and The Law of Diminishing Returns. Good one!

biggrin applause

I have to say that I actually enjoyed it a bit more this time round, but yeah, it is a poor entry.