• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Adjustment Bureau

*review snip*

I honestly disagree with you on everything here. Newman's score was misdirected, to be honest. Something with a love story demands some kind of romanticism and hope -- Newman's score just sat under the film, neither supporting or detracting from it (except for the chase through NYC and the finale cues). It's just... there. James Horner, had he stayed on, would've regurgitated Sneakers and The Forgotten; but at least he would've nailed the emotion.

I saw Paul today. It's extremely funny, with loads of nods to various sci-fi films and obscure films like Lorenzo's Oil. It doesn't wear out its welcome, and I love how David Arnold played the score straight like it was a serious sci-fi action film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. The Secret of Kells

Amazing. The animation is beautiful, some parts reminded me of Samurai Jack. The voice casting is cool. Bruno Coulais's score is gorgeous. Aisling Song shocked me. What a voice. The celtic and choral parts are wonderful. I wish that the movie we're longer (it's 75 minutes long) but it was great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Adjustment Bureau

*review snip*

I honestly disagree with you on everything here. Newman's score was misdirected, to be honest. Something with a love story demands some kind of romanticism and hope -- Newman's score just sat under the film, neither supporting or detracting from it (except for the chase through NYC and the finale cues). It's just... there. James Horner, had he stayed on, would've regurgitated Sneakers and The Forgotten; but at least he would've nailed the emotion.

I saw Paul today. It's extremely funny, with loads of nods to various sci-fi films and obscure films like Lorenzo's Oil. It doesn't wear out its welcome, and I love how David Arnold played the score straight like it was a serious sci-fi action film.

It wasn't a love story; it was naive and shallow; he did his best, actually elevated parts of a bad movie.

Never let me go

Saddness bukkake. Didn't find any meaning to it at all, especially the way those poor people simply accepted their fate without questioning it, trying to escape or actually live. The score is magnificent, perhaps Portman's best score to date.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lincoln Lawyer

Decent, well-made legal thriller. There's only so good a film like this (Grisham-type adaptation) can be, really, and this is towards the top end of that spectrum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The other guys

Hilarious movie with tons of outrageous lines. You can really tell they had alot of fun making this movie.

My rating: 7

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I saw The Other Guys on a plane a while ago. While I was skeptical being it contained Will Ferrell, I enjoyed it a lot!
  2. David is again watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. A great movie and score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I saw The Other Guys on a plane a while ago. While I was skeptical being it contained Will Ferrell, I enjoyed it a lot!

Indeed, it's got to be the most quotable movie ever. The writing in particular is what makes it so funny.

I'd never heard of it before I stumbled on it. Glad I did.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David is again watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. A great movie and score.

He has great taste......obviously didn't get it from his Dad wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. smile

I heartily recommend last night's episode of Wonders of The Universe. Entitled "Falling", it was all about gravity and had some jaw-dropping facts and is worth a watch if you can catch it as a repeat (on BBC2) or on iPlayer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    Take him to see "Cosmic voyage" in a planetarium. He'll never be the same again.

Peter smile
  4. Only noticed a couple of minutes before it started that Fringe was back on Sky One tonight. "The Firefly" featured a guest appearance from Christopher Lloyd.

He only occasionally reverted to his Reverend Jim Ignatowski mode.

Good to see the show back on TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    My g/f wants it. I find it laughable.
  5. Just going through Fringe season 1 (nearing the finale) and I like it a lot. Now if I had to choose between Lost and Fringe in terms of enjoyment (John Noble and Joshua Jackson scenes) and mysterious X-files sort of events, Fringe wins.

The problem I had with Lost is that it starts out like a normal drama series and turns into the surreal and absurd mystery / 'way too much characters to even care about' show it became later on.

Fringe already starts as a surreal mystery series and has a limited amount of characters and much more focused episodic approach.

And did I mention John Noble is freaking great in his role!!!! cheesy punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited
    From Fringe, i find everything too pretentious. The constantly angry son towards his psycho dad is getting tiring and the later's antics ridiculous. Plus when i see naked flesh like alien babies jumping out of people's mouths i always giggle. The music is irritatingly lost-copy paste (as the whole show feels like at places) and the leading lady star is a very uninspired casting choice. But don't me wrong, that's just me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    Haven't seen Fringe at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    From Fringe, i find everything too pretentious. The constantly angry son towards his psycho dad is getting tiring and the later's antics ridiculous. Plus when i see naked flesh like alien babies jumping out of people's mouths i always giggle. The music is irritatingly lost-copy paste (as the whole show feels like at places) and the leading lady star is a very uninspired casting choice. But don't me wrong, that's just me.

Honestly I felt Lost was way too pretentious, Fringe has a much lighter tone, especially between the crazy scientist and the people working with him, it always raises a smile. And I like the characters' interplay a lot. Okay sometimes, it's a little 'easy' in how they crack the case but it's enjoyable enough to keep watching. Plus the overarching storyline has enough mystery and crazy stuff to keep my imagination working overtime.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2011
    Just spent the last three days watching the first season of Lost. Meh. It's ok, but I really don't get why there's so much hoopla about this show. I guess what bothers me most is that things take forever to unfold. Even those big monsters on the island I still know nothing about even though I've watch 17 bleeding hours so far! I guess that's what I hate most about TV shows is that they so deceptively tickle your curiousity to make you keep watching, and whenever a question is answered they make sure to pose two more, just to make sure that you'll have to see it next time as well.

Now I'll have to watch all the other seasons as well. sad

Peter smile
  7. I gave up after 6 (episodes). I could tell I was being strung out with a very low satisfaction:frustration ratio.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I gave up after 6 (episodes). I could I was being strung out with a very low satisfaction:frustration ratio.

So could I... but I kept on watching... and that ratio got ever worse.

Peter... if you want anything at all to be explained satisfactorily, you will be disappointed. Things happen because they happen. Whenever the writers wrote themselves into a hole (which was frequently), characters would do completely inexplicable things, going against everything they'd ever done before... but that's OK, because of some mumbo-jumbo deus ex machina.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have been enjoying watching Battlestar Galactica from the start. Almost to the end of season one now. (I think I only ever got as far as three, because I didn't have the right tv channel at the time and my friend who was buying the DVDs stopped buying them, the bastard!) Excellent series. I think Bear McCreary found his feet towards the end of the first season. I have to say that motif that plays every single time Tricia Helfer's Cylon appears on screen is so bloody irritating (and inane), it's a very good job you can just look at her and forget all your troubles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I gave up after 6 (episodes). I could tell I was being strung out with a very low satisfaction:frustration ratio.

Darn it! Wish I did too, I went way more than 6 episodes. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Just spent the last three days watching the first season of Lost. Meh. It's ok, but I really don't get why there's so much hoopla about this show. I guess what bothers me most is that things take forever to unfold. Even those big monsters on the island I still know nothing about even though I've watch 17 bleeding hours so far! I guess that's what I hate most about TV shows is that they so deceptively tickle your curiousity to make you keep watching, and whenever a question is answered they make sure to pose two more, just to make sure that you'll have to see it next time as well.

Now I'll have to watch all the other seasons as well. sad

Peter smile

...you really don't have to you know though I'm sure one or two people here will insist you keep with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I gave up after 6 (episodes). I could I was being strung out with a very low satisfaction:frustration ratio.

So could I... but I kept on watching... and that ratio got ever worse.

Peter... if you want anything at all to be explained satisfactorily, you will be disappointed. Things happen because they happen. Whenever the writers wrote themselves into a hole (which was frequently), characters would do completely inexplicable things, going against everything they'd ever done before... but that's OK, because of some mumbo-jumbo deus ex machina.

*sigh* That's a shame. I almost regret that I started watching it, because I feel I have to see them all now.

In any case, I've gained more appreciation of Giacchino's score, so it hasn't all been a waste.

Timmer wrote
    ...you really don't have to you know though I'm sure one or two people here will insist you keep with it.

I'm weird like this. When I start watching something I feel I have to see it through to the end no matter how crappy it is. That's why I almost never watch TV shows, because they go on forever and it's a big commitment to start watching.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    I'm weird like this. When I start watching something I feel I have to see it through to the end no matter how crappy it is. That's why I almost never watch TV shows, because they go on forever and it's a big commitment to start watching.

Peter smile

I'm the same. I can't explain it at all, but once I start watching a tv show, if I go beyond about episode two then I generally watch all the way to the end - even if I don't like it. Very odd.
  8. Quantum of Solace on TV at the moment. I have heard a rumour that this is a James Bond movie. But on the evidence I have seen so far it is not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm watching it too.
  9. I have stopped watching it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2011
    Was natural and expected smile
  10. plindboe wrote
    I guess what bothers me most is that things take forever to unfold.

Peter smile

better get used to it, because this will continue and expand during the rest of the seasons, up to the point you hate yourself for continuing with this dribble

I watched it all to the end, and my final reaction was: so that's the finale? That's it that I wasted my time for? And I loved the first 2 seasons. So if you already have these feelings during the first seasons, better save your time and effort for something else
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh