• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Went to a drive-in theater last night where they were showing: The Smurfs and Captain America. Smurfs was surprisingly funny, which made it quite entertaining. Wasn't expecting that. I was actually rooting for the bad guy being smurfs are incredibly creepy. Score wasn't bad and predictable for such a movie. Nothing memorable, but not offensive as some people have been claiming.

Didn't make it through more than 30 minutes of Captain America (being I was tired and the people in front of us kept getting out of their car and turning their dome lights on, etc.). The only thing I remember was that the score was striking and really popped out (almost calling attention to itself). Will have to check this one out eventually being Silvestri is a favorite of mine (assuming eating about 15 double stuff Oreo cookies doesn't affect one's judgment).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011
    Haven't been to a drive-in in a long time. I believe for our 3+ million people in San Diego we have one. Cost of the land is probably too valuable.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. sdtom wrote
    Haven't been to a drive-in in a long time. I believe for our 3+ million people in San Diego we have one. Cost of the land is probably too valuable.
    Tom

We have at least two in Minnesota (that I've been to, so there could be more). Not something I would do on a regular basis unless one was closer to me. I'm guessing they aren't the biggest money maker being they can't be open in the winter here and they usually only charge $8 per person for 2-3 movies. Not to mention you can bring your own food and grill, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    muckle_dabuckle wrote

We have at least two in Minnesota (that I've been to, so there could be more). Not something I would do on a regular basis unless one was closer to me. I'm guessing they aren't the biggest money maker being they can't be open in the winter here and they usually only charge $8 per person for 2-3 movies. Not to mention you can bring your own food and grill, etc.

Somebody had bought the land a long time ago and it is paid for with low low low property taxes. I remember going to the ones in Fridley and Columbia Heights growing up in the 60's. Looking back I heard a lot of Les Baxter! Was it called the 100 Twin Drive In? They use to have dusk to dawn shows.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    I watched a Perry Mason episode from 1960 that had Robert Redford in it. I had forgotten the clever motif written when Mason was introduced. It is actually quite good. I'm assuming Fred Steiner wrote it.
    Tom smile
  3. sdtom wrote
    Somebody had bought the land a long time ago and it is paid for with low low low property taxes. I remember going to the ones in Fridley and Columbia Heights growing up in the 60's. Looking back I heard a lot of Les Baxter! Was it called the 100 Twin Drive In? They use to have dusk to dawn shows.
    Tom smile

The two I have been to are Cottage View in Cottage Grove (just off of HWY 61) and Vali-Hi in Lake Elmo off of 94. I think the one you are talking about in Fridley was demolished in the 1980s and Medtronic World Headquarters sits on the spot now (according to a little googling I did).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011
    christopher wrote
    I have a great old horror film, but there are no supernatural elements. It's just intense! Have you ever seen WAIT UNTIL DARK with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin? It is excellent and quite scary in that slow build up kind of way. Really great film.

I'm sorry to disappoint, Christopher, especially since you really seem to like this movie, but I watched it with my gf, and we didn't like it. I though Alan Arkin was great though. The writing was clever and I like Mancini's theme. The movie never grabbed me though, and I thought a few things seemed rather odd (for instance that Susy never locked the door; that she wouldn't give up the doll, even when there was no reason to hide it; that her husband forced her to walk towards him at the end seemed silly and unrealistic).

My rating: 4 out of 10

Thanks for recommending though. I don't regret watching it, as it's a movie I often hear mentioned and have always felt I should see.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    muckle_dabuckle wrote

The two I have been to are Cottage View in Cottage Grove (just off of HWY 61) and Vali-Hi in Lake Elmo off of 94. I think the one you are talking about in Fridley was demolished in the 1980s and Medtronic World Headquarters sits on the spot now (according to a little googling I did).

When I was back last year and stayed in St. Anthony Village I saw that both were gone. sad
    On a positive note the CH theater near 40th and Central many times has old movies. I went and enjoyed Arsenic and Old Lace. Nice atmosphere.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watched another Perry Mason last night "The Case of the Credulous Quarry." Interesting film in that they left a lot of unanswered questions.
    Tom
  4. plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    I have a great old horror film, but there are no supernatural elements. It's just intense! Have you ever seen WAIT UNTIL DARK with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin? It is excellent and quite scary in that slow build up kind of way. Really great film.

I'm sorry to disappoint, Christopher, especially since you really seem to like this movie, but I watched it with my gf, and we didn't like it. I though Alan Arkin was great though. The writing was clever and I like Mancini's theme. The movie never grabbed me though, and I thought a few things seemed rather odd (for instance that Susy never locked the door; that she wouldn't give up the doll, even when there was no reason to hide it; that her husband forced her to walk towards him at the end seemed silly and unrealistic).

My rating: 4 out of 10

Thanks for recommending though. I don't regret watching it, as it's a movie I often hear mentioned and have always felt I should see.

Peter smile

Well there's no accounting for taste smile

Did either of you jump when Alan Arkin did?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    Well there's no accounting for taste smile

Did either of you jump when Alan Arkin did?

Hehe, yes, the jump was quite a shocking moment. My gf was asleep at the time, but I did jump when it happened.

Peter shocked
  5. Southall wrote
    Captain America

Really enjoyed this. No messing about - just good vs evil, no dull exposition in sight. And praise God for Alan Silvestri, finally giving one of these films an actual, proper score and not some shitty, pointless exercise in staying out of the way.

Cool, makes me want to go out and see it, but I'll probably rent it once it's out here.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    RV: Harry Potter (Movies 1-7!)

My first viewing of the HP films; they have claimed a spot in my heart as one of my all-time favorite series!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Sounds like a great idea William! I never got further than halfway part II, so us and the kids could do a marathon soon as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, because of that wonderful summer weather we had and not going on vacation, we watched a lot of movies. Last week I decided to try and make a list of the movies we saw during our weeks off. I took the kids school vacation, so six weeks and we're almost at 50 movies. Their vacation will end this sunday and I'm sure we'll reach 50 before that.

There are also some movies I know we saw recently, but I don't remember if they were in the school vacation or earlier, so the list isn't very accurate, but it was fun doing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    Williams is back (and married!? uhm )!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    William IS back. And NOT in fact married. It's just a good friend of mine who got bored on Facebook. LOL biggrin Good to see you guys again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    Inside Job, a 1946 Universal film with a story by Tod Browning which had already been filmed twice. I found it an interesting blend of sentimentality, serious drama, and a message at the end of the film.
    Tom
  6. The Spaghetti Western Orchestra at the BBC Proms is on BBC4 at half-7 tonight. Recorded from earlier this month it could be a good concert.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    You'¨re very lucky, Alan. I'm no longer in England, so can't see it.

Peter slant
  7. William wrote
    William IS back. And NOT in fact married. It's just a good friend of mine who got bored on Facebook. LOL biggrin Good to see you guys again.

you kids and your facebook wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011
    Whirlpool a pretty good noir film
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    This is UP-COMING viewing....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014m55k

Martijn, did you know anything about this???

I've no idea who's scoring, I'd hope Benjamin Bartlett is on-board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    shocked Arghaaaaaaaaaaaa gruuuuuuuuuhhhhhwhoooooooooooaaaaahhhhh! spin
    bounce bounce bounce bounce

Um.
    I mean ah. Interesting.
    Rather.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    :nods-sagely: biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    Just found out there is an american remake of the brilliant english comedy Death at a funeral.

Original

Remake

I like Chris Rock and Martin Lawrrence, but gotta say that the remake looks like crap judging from the trailer. Anyone seen the remake?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Just found out there is an american remake of the brilliant english comedy [b]Death at a Funeral

I like Chris Rock and Martin Lawrrence, but gotta say that the remake looks like crap judging from the trailer. Anyone seen the remake?

Peter smile

Couldn't sit through the entire movie.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    I watched a 1960 episode of Perry Mason called The Loquacious Liar which used the music from "Where Is Everybody from Bernard Herrmann for the underscore. It worked okay.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011
    The Wolfman (1941). This is the original with Lon Chaney Jr., Claude Rains, Ralph Bellamy, Bela Lugosi. This was the film that started Lon Chaney Jr. as the #1 Universal Horror star.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I watched a 1960 episode of Perry Mason called The Loquacious Liar which used the music from "Where Is Everybody from Bernard Herrmann for the underscore. It worked okay.
    Thomas

The classic Twilight Zone episode?
    That's a good re-use of music!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn