• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Unlike the ones for Aliens and T2, I could never go back to the theatrical versions. smile

Aliens extended cut is also flawed. Yes, the automatic machine gun scene is back but the Newt prelude should have been left on the cutting room floor. Seeing Newt and her family at the beginning of the film completely ruins her appearance later on.

NO ! sad

Why? Because nothing is flawed about Aliens, NOTHING !! It's the one film that started my obsession with Cameron flicks, extraterrestrial monsters and film scores. It cannot be flawed, it's my number one! wink

As for T2 - I hate, HATE, HATE the Reese dream sequence. "On your feet soldier! " vomit What a poorly written scene. However, the removal of the chip from Arnold's head later on is a killer scene.

-Erik-

Again, NO! angry

Why? Because it's a very sweet scene between Sarah and Kyle, it shows her vulnerability and the fact she still has deep feelings for him. I love seeing Michael Biehn back in his all too small part.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    ALIENS is one of my favourites but it IS flawed Gilles.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy
    crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

READ MY LIPS:

ALIENS IS NOT FLAWED

IT IS SUPERB

IT IS AWESOME

I'VE SEEN IT FORTY TIMES

AND IT IS PERFECT!!!!

THAT'S A FACT!

AND THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT !!!!!!

tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case I will not tell you it's flaws, may you see it another 40 times in blissful ignorance ( and I mean that possitively ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Wonderful, light, warm, lovely, splendid,... and indeed a bit of a bore. It's HUGO by Martin Scorsese.

Hugo is all about the love for (old) cinema and I love cinema and old movies... But I have to say it is a very thin story... Even more when you know what role Ben Kingsley is playing. It's not a very suprising story. In fact, it is rather predictable. If this was not a movie for children/the whole family, the film could have been a lot faster and shorter - or stuff like the "all people have a destiny"-message could have been told more subtle (and more convincing).

What makes it special is how well it is made, and as has been said before - how much love is invested in telling the history of cinema, the story of early special effects. The atmosphere and the amount of detail in this film is incredible (although always lacking importance for the story). The smaller characters in the station are cute, the sound of snow cracking, the creepy twist on the classic 'dream sequence', Django Reinhart playing in the band, the art direction, the editing with the images from past and present, the different scenes flowing and following like a walse, gently into the other: wow wow wow!

When the real footage of the first world war is converted in 3D the effect is soooo fascinating, maybe it is not the 3d, maybe it is just the effect of the big screen, but I can't stop thinking of these soldiers, and the contact you seem to get with them when they look directly in the camera.

Nontheless, I've made my mind up about 3D thanks to HUGO: I don't need it. I like it, but I don't like it more than 2d, and I definitely hope it's not going to be the new "film standard". I can see how 3D can be used as a storytelling tool but I can't help but find it distracting. Maybe there are enough tools in cinema as there are already. It's fine when the film is shot withouth blurry images, because you lose the effect of long lense images with a very limited depht of field (they become flat cardboard cutouts in 3D, awful). When I have to choose, I prefer to see bright images with a sharp focus and maybe an artistic blurry 2D fore- and background than these darker 3D images where blurry foreground images are flat and weird (because they don't turn sharp when you focus on them yourself - They have to make a choice here: 2D images and a glorious 2D experience - or, a complete 3D world. Not the "3D experience" filled with annoying and flat 2D elements in the shot, reducing and pointing out the 3D-effect at the same time) or where the whole image is sharp everywhere in the scene and I don't know where the filmmaker want's me to look at. Most of the time, happily, Scorsese is not shooting with extreme low depth of field. So far this technical rant but I believe this is what it's all about.

In the end I suppose I like 3D - when it is used, but not for the greater effect. the question reamains: then why use it and NOT using? Well, for the subtle effect "of being there", of being "closer". That's ok. (But they can use a simple close up for that as well)

It's really really well done in HUGO, you should see this film as it is meant (and also, more important: deserved) to be seen (in 3D), but it just does not add much to how I féél about a film. What really matters will remain the same forever - The story. The characters. The performances. The details that take me in (instead of out) the story. When I noticed the 3D - when the effect is used, for depth (very effectively when scenes take place on big heights), or for the proximity (the angry dogs): it just took me out of that story. In one shot I was not looking at 'papa georges' as a character, but at Ben Kingsley's nose. Not good.

Actor's faces in a close up have never been so close it seems, it would be interesting to what effect 3D can be used with sexy images and heartthrobs and babes, instead of Ben Kingsley's nose. (I have not seen beowulf in 3d)

The worst? Sacha Baron Cohen was uneven, sometimes funny, most of the time not funny enough, and his borat-like tics were nothing but distracting. As was the score: I was thinking of Giacchino and Ratatouille. Effective music, but I can't remember much of the score.

The best of the movie are the hommages. I was never able to see a Harold Lloyd movie on the big screen, and it seems, it took somebody as Martin Scorsese, to take the opportunity with this film, for the modern and broad audiences, to re-establish these old classic films and point out how timeless, powerful and amazing they really are. Magnificent! And well done.

It's a good movie: full of achievements, lacking only the achievement of being a great film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks for your review Timon!

I saw The Water Horse on TV last night. I must say it was better than I expected. That's because I expected 'boy finds egg, is friends with waterhorse, something happens, end is probably good, the end'. And it was a bit more than that I think. The score is nice too. I hadn't played it in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Unlike the ones for Aliens and T2, I could never go back to the theatrical versions. smile

Aliens extended cut is also flawed. Yes, the automatic machine gun scene is back but the Newt prelude should have been left on the cutting room floor. Seeing Newt and her family at the beginning of the film completely ruins her appearance later on.

NO ! sad

Why? Because nothing is flawed about Aliens, NOTHING !! It's the one film that started my obsession with Cameron flicks, extraterrestrial monsters and film scores. It cannot be flawed, it's my number one! wink

It is darn near perfect, yes, although that is a tag I use on VERY few films. It is one of the films I've seen the most times, in addition to ALIEN and JURASSIC PARK (probably 20 times), and that STILL has replay value.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. We may not always agree on music, but on films we seem to think alike, MOSTLY. cool
  2. Child No.1 (Rachel) watching I, Robot at the moment.

When Marco Beltrami is good, he is GOOD! Excellent score - and I need to go and hunt it out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Child No.1 (Rachel) watching I, Robot at the moment.

When Marco Beltrami is good, he is GOOD! Excellent score - and I need to go and hunt it out.

One of my favourites from Beltrami, a very fine score indeed. The film is entertaining but not great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You'll hate me now, Timmer.

Saw Night of the demon. While it was well made, I didn't enjoy it much. There's something about old black and white movies that just makes me bored.

The demon was kinda creepy though... when you saw it from a distance. It looked rather silly up close.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    You'll hate me now, Timmer.

Saw Night of the demon. While it was well made, I didn't enjoy it much. There's something about old black and white movies that just makes me bored.

The demon was kinda creepy though... when you saw it from a distance. It looked rather silly up close.

Peter smile

One day you, Martijn and I will meet each other, after we all part ways you'll get home, empty your pockets and find a strip of paper inscribed with ancient runes....
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    There's something about old black and white movies that just makes me bored.

One day you, Martijn and I will meet each other, after we all part ways you'll get home, empty your pockets and find a strip of paper inscribed with ancient runes....

applause

Oh, and don't mind the pod in your cellar. It's perfectly harmless.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    We watched Bridge to Terabithia last night. I enjoyed the story, sad and hopeful at the same time. It's about the power of imagination. And those kids were great.

Then I saw Stardust again, but I missed the opening. The opening! With the Ben Barnes kiss...
    Oh well, enjoyed the rest of the movie a lot, I also remembered how much fun I had seeing it last year for the first time. It's really good. And funny!
  3. Bregje wrote
    We watched Bridge to Terabithia last night. I enjoyed the story, sad and hopeful at the same time. It's about the power of imagination. And those kids were great.

Then I saw Stardust again, but I missed the opening. The opening! With the Ben Barnes kiss...
    Oh well, enjoyed the rest of the movie a lot, I also remembered how much fun I had seeing it last year for the first time. It's really good. And funny!

2 very good movies indeed

Stardust is everything I want to see in a movie, excellent story, characters, music, special effects. Basically a fantasy film the way I like it.

Bridge to Terabithia surprised me as well, considering it's much more a personal drama than a fantasy film. And yes, those kids are great. Good score too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. The highlights of my 2011 filmgoing experience...

Black Swan - I couldn't stand up at the end of this. The muscles I'd normally use were exhausted from tension. The story is simple, familiar even, but a couple of SFX sequences aside, this is the most riveting I've found an Aronofsky film.

Agora - Seen on DVD. I don't really buy this as literal history, but the portrait of Hypatia and the shifting faith of 4th century AD Egypt feel very relevant. I love that a film of this sort -- essentially a sword and sandals epic -- can centre on a character's desire to uncover some kind of governing scientific principle. Moving finale for all concerned. They've come a long way from where they started.

Carlos - In some ways, it feels like this is Oliver Assayas corrective to Soderbergh's Che. I liked Soderbergh's film, but this film is much more caught up in the actions of its hero than Soderbergh was in Guevara. To date I've only seen the 3 hour cinema release, and while that film flags in its last hour, clearly that's the section where most of the cutting from the miniseries was done. Particularly compelling in the year of the Arab Spring. Gets across this interesting portrait of a man whose life shifts between feats of daring and bouts of entitled laziness. (french film festival)

The Turin Horse - Who could be bleaker than Lars von Trier? Well, maybe Bela Tarr, and he has the added advantage that you can't help but feel he's actually saying something too. The most unexpected use of an existing property in cinematic history comes here, as Tarr takes the horse Nietzsche encountered in Turin as the launching point for this tale of a Hungarian man and his daughter struggling to survive as the world slowly shuts down around them. Tarr is the great user of long takes that never make you long for cuts. I hated the bleakness when I first saw it, but came to respect it in my thoughts afterwards. One thing you have to say about Tarr, he sticks to his guns. (sydney film festival)

Tree of Life - My sort of film. The middle 90 minute section depicting birth to teenage years in a young man drifts free of plot and drama, but the journey is riveting. It alone would make this a masterpiece. Nestled within the larger folds of the film, a modern day book of Job, it is a real feast. 5 for 5, Terrence Malick. If I could take only one 2011 film to the desert island, it would be this. (sydney film festival)

Hail - Not quite my sort of film, but finds a way to bring kitchen sink drama together with a real flair for experimental filmmaking. The one who made this was a filmmaker, one who will hopefully make Australian filmmaking a lot more interesting in years to come.

Tabloid - Errol Morris must have really been hankering for salacious eccentricity after years of politically-charged filmmaking. An unbelievable tabloid saga when you don't even have to turn the pages. It's all done for you. (sydney film festival)

13 Assassins - One of the great samurai films, born well after its time. Takashi Miike offers us one of the greatest villains of any genre in Naritsugu, and a respectable foil in Shinzaemon. When the buildup finally bursts in action, the frenzy of a warzone is summoned. The clash between Shinzaemon and Hanbei feels like the first time in years that a sword fight on film has really felt like a sword fight.

Hanna - Lurid, hallucinogenic, ripe, silly… and a lot of fun. Joe Wright's film has a strange muse, and can't stop making fun of itself. In some films that's incredibly annoying, but I felt like I was in the joke and couldn't stop giggling. The craft is strong, and it's hard to think of another story this year where the film's original music was more tightly woven into the narrative.

Meek's Cutoff - I was so caught up in Kelly Reichardt's minimalist pioneers and their struggles (where is there water? where can they turn next?) that I never really noticed the cast. I thought -- these are low key actors who remind me of famous actors at times, but that's more a coincidence than anything. Turns out they were all famous, and I should have known them all. And in a way, I did, but somehow… they disappeared into their roles in a way they hadn't before. The most disciplined film of the year I saw, bar Bela Tarr's film.

Senna - Behind the romance of Senna's point of view, there's a story being hinted at here that is truly fascinating, which is what was really happening. But even a film on Senna's rivalry with Prost from his own point of view is a riveting thing, and the makers did well to stick entirely to the archival footage to tell his side of the story.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - The plotline about devil-may-care pharmaceutical testing is a bit hard to believe, but I was impressed with the extent to which this was allowed to be the story of Caesar (Andy Sirkis), and how much of it was wordless. A lot of properties are pulled out and relaunched every year. This is one of the few that I can imagine would have drawn as impressive a cult following as the original film. Makes a mockery of Tim Burton's attempt.

Mildred Pierce - Todd Haynes and Kate Winslet explore the fortunes of a woman and her children during the Depression. There's a breadth to the narrative that could not have been told in the cinema, and yet there's such a cinematic eye here. The Mildred-Veda dynamic is the ripest sort of melodrama, but every beat of it is believable right up to that surreal climactic scene that there's no better name for than 'Veda's Walk'.

Game of Thrones - The music is anonymous & the sex is ridiculously gratuitous, but that's about where the problems stop. It's a great platform for an excellent novel, and I'm grateful to the series for drawing my attention to George RR Martin's writing. I read nothing else this year in November/December after seeing Game of Thrones -- pursuing the fortunes of the Starks, Lannister and Targaeryons through the subsequent novels. Pure plot, but always dealing an honest hand to character.

Contagion - There's a few moments that let the enterprise down (jude law's character, not his portrayals), but this is a film of ideas. A genre film (virus on the loose) that played in multiplexes that refused to go through the motions, and rather followed the institutional response to a virus, and the social outcomes, with great credibility.

Midnight in Paris - It was good to see lightness I could believe in. Owen Wilson is a great presence in the service of the right material, and his innocence is really charming here. Marion Cotillard demands to be loved, as always.

Moneyball - It could be that this story actually had an ending that makes the difference, or that the hero was a more likeable figure than Zuckerberg, but somehow this grabbed me more than The Social Network. A solid, intelligent crowd pleaser, finding a way to bring statistical anomalies and baseball to audiences that normally wouldn't care. Bennett Miller's direction felt like a cut above what a story like this would normally get.

There's a lot of films that aren't there. I never saw The Separation, The Skin I Live In, Pina, Drive, Certified Copy, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Beginners, The Guard, The Trip, Biutiful or Incendies. Perhaps they would be if I had.

One film that isn't there...

Melancholia - The film craft is so often there with von Trier, and it's there again, some indelible moments and images. And there's some very fine actors doing their best here. Two things though: (i) in a von trier film, you can almost play a drinking game every time a character says something cruel. It robs the film of any capacity to surprise, the one note of pessimism gets some very late relief... and even that didn't manage to surprise. (ii) every time that Wagner comes back in the film, I giggle. It just feels silly. So sorry lovers of von Trier... caught between the pincer move of Malick and Tarr, even a film with strong qualities as this one just doesn't feel all that indispensible.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    RV: Thor

Great film! Better than I expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hanna - Lurid, hallucinogenic, ripe, silly… and a lot of fun. Joe Wright's film has a strange muse, and can't stop making fun of itself. In some films that's incredibly annoying, but I felt like I was in the joke and couldn't stop giggling. The craft is strong, and it's hard to think of another story this year where the film's original music was more tightly woven into the narrative.

With all this Hanna talk lately, I figured I should at least have a listen to the score. The Devil's is in the Details must be the catchiest theme of last year, what a funky melody. Looking forward to the film.

Thanks for those capsule reviews btw. I'm glad to see many titles you mention are on the list of my local 'film house' this winter.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Some fine titles on your list, franz, but also some I obviously don't agree with. MELANCHOLIA was wonderful -- probably his most accesible film -- although I was annoyed by the apathetic Kirsten Dunst character and had to find sympathy and identification elsewhere.

I also found CONTAGION to be extremely boring after a strong first 20 minutes. A colleague of mine called it "Soderberg's friends-of-friends party", and that was apt.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. MELANCHOLIA is definitely accessible. And Dunst's portrayal is true to the nature of depression, although the second half of the film doesn't give her room to be as layered as the first half (where she is the centre of attention). But there is something a bit boring about the relentless pessimism of his films that just kills them as stories. Storytelling often benefits from an element of surprise, which includes the potential for a positive upside in this case.

And Wagner... it's such important music that dialling it in like that is a two edged sword. It's hard for me to take it seriously, hard to even believe it's meant to be taken seriously, given von Trier's joker public persona. (And that applies to the whole film.) But it would be a hard film to come up with music for. Could be the cocktail just isn't made for me. I enjoyed watching it once, but I'm pretty sure I picked up everything there was to get.

I do like the limo caught in the driveway.

The last von Trier film I guess I really enjoyed -- apart from FIVE OBSTRUCTIONS, which is a different sort of thing -- was DOGVILLE.

CONTAGION would have been interesting without all the famous actors, but I concede that that's what it took to get to multiplexes. I'm interested enough in systems of control that seeing behind that curtain in a mostly credible way was riveting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012 edited
    JS: THE PLAINSMAN (1966)

See http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

JS: NIGHTMARE IN CHICAGO (1964)

Early TV movie scored by Williams about a serial killer roaming free in Chicago. Not very good, but interesting 'crime jazz' score by the maestro.

JS: DIE BLECHTROMMEL (1979)

Classic Volker Schlöndorff film that I finally got around to. Didn't really grab me; too emotionally distant, IMO (even though it tries to comment satirically on the German national trauma related to Nazism through a buttload of symbolism). The protagonist boy was kinda creepy, though. Maurice Jarre's score was an interesting hybrid of his typical melodicism and some wild, orchestrational, avantgarde choices that went counter to the melodies, Morricone-style, obviously adding to the dissonance the whole film tries to conjure up.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote

The eels vomit biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012
    Antineutrino wrote
    Thor wrote

The eels vomit biggrin

And the horse head....yeah, classic scene which made me a bit nauseous (sp.?).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited
    JS: FITZCARRALDO (1982)

Werner Herzog's classic film about human ambition against nature's extreme hindrances. The first part isn't very good, and it certainly takes some time getting used to Kinski's poor English and what seems like a strained performance for him, but then when they start the jungle trip and the dragging of the ship across the hill, it really gets its steam blowing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    Thor wrote

Werner Herzog's classic film about human ambition against nature's extreme hindrances. The first part isn't very good, and it certainly takes some time getting used to Kinski's poor English and what seems like a strained performance for him, but then when they start the jungle trip and the dragging of the ship across the hill, it really gets its steam blowing.

A superb film with some fascinating insights once you've seen the documentary My Best Fiend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited
    Alan, James, Timmer

Did any of you see the first episode of Earthflight? Just saw a trailer and it looks like a documentary from the "Planet Earth" series with fantastic images, wide shots and angles and stunning scenery.

Frozen Planet just ended here on national television (a BBC series has never been shown so soon after the original release as far as I know). It was absolutely stunning. The first episode, with the birds and the humpbacks in the water, the fight of the bizon (?) and the wolf in the snow in tundra (?), the penguin that stole the stones, the killer whale attack, the penguins jumping out of the water, the ice storm under water (which was downright frightening!), and of course, the mighty glaciers and their unbelievable force that shapes the landscape. I didn't knew glacier had to be pronounced with a short 'a'. I thought it was a long 'a', like in 'today'. Is the latter American English, or did I pronounce it wrong the whole time already.

A breathtaking series. Interesting to see the people living there (episode 6), with the capital of Svalbard having only 2500 citizens. Crazy humans.

Also rather funny to see Richard at the most southern side of the world in such a thick layer of clothes he was barely able to do the explanation using his hands. On the other hand, I heard the last two episodes will not be shown in the USA, because of the climate change issue that is talked about. Ridiculous!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote

Recently got the DVD and it's basically waiting for me to find the time to see a (bit) long(er) film, but looking forward to it. You'd say the ultimate impression the film gave was impressive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Alan, James, Timmer

Did any of you see the first episode of Earthflight? Just saw a trailer and it looks like a documentary from the "Planet Earth" series with fantastic images, wide shots and angles and stunning scenery.

I haven't seen it yet - I have recorded it and look forward to watching. Looks spectacular.

I agree with you about Frozen Planet - what a wonderful series. I had the Blu-Ray for Christmas and am really looking forward to watching it again with an even more spectacular picture.
  7. Bregt wrote
    Alan, James, Timmer

I did see the first episode and I thought that it was spectacular. Not necessarily for the imagery, more for the behavioural aspects of the birds seen on the show. I found it more of a "wow" programme than anything Frozen Planet could show me.

This clip highlights the "wow" factor of seeing something I had not seen before. But it also highlights how annoying the score was in places: twangy guitars for the rays jumping out of the water?

vomit

But the rest is great. Watch it. It is worth it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn