• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Odysseus (Ulysses) 2013 (Germany / France - arte)

http://www.arte.tv/de/odysseus/7516300.html

Based on Horner's famous narrative.
    Rousing, epic score by Bernard Grimaldi. Sadly it does not seem to get a release of any sort.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. HORNER's famous narrative? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Freudian slip if ever there was one! cheesy I thought about a Homerian epic and music and my subconcious came up with ... Horner.

An outstanding series by the way. Proof that a suprior scribt and great actors outweights limited funds. I'll definitely be getting the DVD. And that Grimaldi score really would deserve a release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDp7RIeETI
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013
    Last night the kids and I watched the cute and funny movie School of Rock with Jack Black. Nice smile
    I really enjoyed it a lot and the kids like Jack Black a lot too.
  4. Django Unchained

So I finally came round to see this one. I enjoyed watching it. The film is not the Sergio-Leone-homage I expected it to be, it's pure Tarantino rather. But I have to say that I begin to grow a bit weary of his tricks. I'd like to see him do something outside his comfort zone.

I would have preferred a conventional score for this film. Tarantino's music choices irked me more than they did in previous films. The one thing I actively disliked was Bacalov's famous "Django" song during the main credits. It just felt wrong. It's like putting the STAR WARS main theme on the credits of some other space opera.

Instead of that rap crap Tarantino should have used that song during the end credits when the film had earned the right to play it.

The cameo with Fraco Nero made me swallow real hard.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Django Unchained

But I have to say that I begin to grow a bit weary of his tricks. I'd like to see him do something outside his comfort zone.

i think Tarantino's comfort zone is way out of everybody else's comfort zones. That's his style. wanting an artist to do something different just because you are bored of their style probably means you should look elsewhere, but wanting to see their take on a particular story or genre, that's different.

I rather enjoyed this film, found it funny and entertaining with some awesome action scenes. the only criticism is that it was probably about 30mins too long, but thinking back on it straight after I watched it I couldn't pick any scenes i would have cut out.(not even Jamie Fox's balllllls)

I still prefer Inglorious Bastards, because i find the script flawless, but Django is still in my top Taratinos
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Growing weary of Tarantino's tricks is to me like growing weary of ice cream. I don't see it ever happening, no matter how many scoops of Tarantino I've had.

I LOVED the Django song! Could have done without the rap though.

Sarah wrote
    I still prefer Inglorious Bastards, because i find the script flawless, but Django is still in my top Taratinos

You and me both.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Giant Squids on BBC 2 narrated by David Attenborough RIGHT NOW! Yeah now man love
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Everything should be narrated by David Attenborough.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Everything that is worthy cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Giant Squids on BBC 2 narrated by David Attenborough RIGHT NOW! Yeah now man love

WOW!

Very good score too by no less than Joe Hisaishi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Everything that is worthy cool

thumbsup
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    As part of my review for The Tall Texan I watched the movie
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    THE DIRTY DOZEN

It's on Channel 5 right now. Along with THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and James Bond this must be one of my most seen films and I still love it! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013 edited
    THE CANYONS (Paul Shrader, 2013) **

Bret Easton Ellis keeps telling the same story about young people in LA that will never taste success, which makes them listless and prone to manipulation of the characters inhabiting their world, and THE CANYONS is no exception. The problem, however, is in the fact that the characters of Ellis' latest are sweethearts compared to those in his controversial novels, with the film getting its controversy solely from the fact that its actors were willing to drop their clothes in a few risqué scenes. From a film funded completely outside of the studio system you'd expect something less tame and more biting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    THE DIRTY DOZEN

It's on Channel 5 right now. Along with THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and James Bond this must be one of my most seen films and I still love it! love

KELLY'S HEROES

The Dirty Dozen last week and now Kelly's Heroes, excellent Saturday hangover viewing cool
  5. Taken 2

What an average film. The first one was a real thrill ride, but this one, pfff. So mediocre and boring. The chase was good enough but the fighting was so lifeless, if you compare that with the first it's like Neeson aged 30 years. Anyhoo, one French director isn't the other one I suppose. Let's hope Taken 3 turns out to be much better.

5 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I just found this interesting article about why "The Lone Ranger flopped. It's all the critics fault:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1141 … ywood-egos
  7. No, the problem was that, as Southall amazingly put it in his review, the tone was very much off.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013 edited
    It's simple, THE LONE RANGER don't work, it broke long time ago, Westerns just aren't "in". There is not one person I know who wants to see this, not one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013
    It think it looks good, but the reviews are really, really negative, so I'll wait until I can pay £3.50 to stream it instead of shelling out for £10.40 for a ticket.
  8. "Cheyenne Warrior" (a 1994 TV movie)

While checking out some of Arthur Kempel's scoring work, I came across this film. The opening cue was plesant enough, so I thought I would see what the thing was about. Bad mistake.

The western film opens with a couple stopping a trading post back in the 1890's (I think that was the time period). They're heading out for a new life, but a bad horse and winter now has them stuck to stay with the trading post owner, played by what I'm finding to be an unknown but interesting talen named Dan Haggerty (you may remember me mentioning him in my review for the shockingly oddball "Elves" some pages back). He could play Michael Kamen in a film -- some photos has a good resemblence.

A group of Cheyenne warriors in training come across slaughtered buffalo and when they stop at the post, they accuse the husband of doing it, but find out he didn't. The trading post owners tells them about two creeps, who we saw earlier in the film, that were there seemed like they did it.

The husband doesn't trust the indians and goes out to warm the two creeps. One of the creeps murders him. They head back, tell the wife indians murdered him. The same creep murders the trading post owner, tries to murder the wife, then they head out and the Cheyenne warriors kill all of them, and in the process all but one of the Cheyenne are killed.

The warrior comes back and he and the wife try to make it through the winter and attacking Pawnee.

The film was terrible. It's very low paced and doesn't pay off AT ALL. It's empty and there are no emotions for anybody but the short-lived Dan Haggerty. The acting is subpar by everybody (except Haggerty), often wooden and uninteresting.

We spend an entire film with the wife and the warrior, whom fall in love after so very quickly gets over her husbands brutal murder. One scene she's falling to her knees crying over his death, another later and she's getting awfully friendly with Hawk (I think that was the indian's name). The love interest is not belivable, forced, offers us nothing and when the film ends, having giveing birth to her dead husband's baby, she parts ways with Hawk. WTF was this LONG film's point?
    The interracial love interest in "Dances With Wolves" was supremely better in comparrison.

Slick Studio Guy: "Hey, would you like to waste what seems like two hours of your life for characters that go nowhere and at the end of the film are pretty much back where they started, while having no emotional investement?"

Average Viewer: "Ah, no..."

Terrible, just terrible.

And the score by Arthur Kempel, is sparce and short. It's like an unconnected mess. One minute it's a little lush and the next it's like a drum machine to some cheesey '80's western flick. I get the feeling the score was butchered in the film, maybe some replaced, and that the budget didn't allow for a full score to be as big as the opening. Assuming the whole thing wasn't a last-minute replacement score.

One other plus in the film: actress Kelly Preston, who is very cute in the film, even though her acting is as described in the above paragraphs.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR LIFE ON THIS FILM. Not even if you are bored.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. "Americana" (1983)

I just checked it out to hear the score by Craig Huxley since I'm not familiar with the vast majority of his work.

The score was terrible, didn't fit the picture, distracted from it, and it would come and go without aiding the picture or even just acting as the dreaded background noise -- it just sort of began and ended on whims with no apparent reason.

A drifting veteran stops in a town the size of a bread box after finding a broken down, worn merry-go-round. He starts taking odd jobs and work to make money to restore it, while sleeping out there.
    He comes up against a town of assholes (kind of like a town full of more reserved "First Blood" police cheifs, from varying ages and sexes).

The film had the makings to be itneresting, but it failed. It has a good slow pacing and some nice small-town folk moments, but it's just poorly done.

The lead (David Carradine, whom also directed) is boring, sort of one-dimentional (never giving us enough to want to invest in him) and there's never any real explination for why he choses to drift around (even though we find out he has some money).

This cute brunette appears out of nowhere and keeps showing up to watch him and sometimes talk to him. This is an example of terrible film making. She has ZERO depth, nothing that even resembles motivation or interest. She's like some failed aborted foreign film character who is metaphor for something; imagine watching "Lord of the Rings" and there's this character that shows up during dramatic moments, to talk about ponies, or something for no reason, who has no deapth, and you've got yourself a good idea here. She's a character that serves no purpose and creates a useless sexual tention subplot that never goes anywhere, not even remotely. This is the girlfriend who hints of you getting some, all day long, then at the end of the night goes away and pretends that never happened.

Then, after making sure to stereotype small town people, the film decides making them slow and stupid wasn't enough, now a new level of insult is needed: apparently they're all violence spectators. Yes, cock fights, people fighting dogs for their life.

At the end of the film, after having to snap the neck of a dog in a cage fight, walks to the merry-go-round, puts in the final part, starts it up, and gets his stuff and walks out of the Hell hole town, with the girl trailing behind him.

What a Goddamn terrible movie. AVOID.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. There have been a surprising number of movie gems airing on German pbs tv lately, fo example "The Blues Brothers" and "Shaft". (Arte has a blues-thing going.)

I also stumbled over an early film by Peter Weir. I never heard about that film, which is weird because I love Peter Weir and thought I knew all his films. "Picnic at Hanging Rock" has all that I love about Weir's films: Fine character development, great story telling and phenomenal photography. Bruce Smeaton contributes a subtle score that has Gheorghe Zamfir playing the pan flute. Recommended!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    The Lone Ranger

I call bullshit on the reviews - this is perfect summer popcorn entertainment. Good story (if not a bit predictable), good action, good cast, good music. Better than any of the Pirates sequels. Enjoyable stuff!

Easily 7 out of 10.
  11. I awoke in the middle of the night last week and wouldn't go back to sleep. So I got up and turned the TV on just to meet one of my childhood heroes: Telly Savallas as Theo Kojak. I saw a complete episode.

Man, did Billy Goldenberg write one of the coolest TV themes ever, or what?

And Telly Savallas, he was Mr Cool here, munching away on his lollypops: "Who loves ya, baby?"

Also I noticed that back then they had plots that actually made sense.

Cool reencounter!
  12. We're on a mission from God.

cool cool cool cool
  13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8lz04rhUY

Interesting.