• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Been checking out a series called "The Black Sheep Squadron" (or "Baa Baa Black Sheep"), mainly to hear Mike Post & Pete Capenter's scoring.

The show is mediocre. Often the plots aren't particularly deep, despite the fact this show is based on a real group of men from WWII, and the nice restored fighter planes.

The acting is often bordering on wooden, though there are some break-out moments. Nobody appears to be trying real hard and are letting themselves fall into an ensemble, in hopes it works, but it just never clicks.

While there's nothing particularly wrong with the scoring for the show, it just doesn't fit -- this was clearly Leonard Rosenman territory. In spite of Post's past in making some of TV's most famous theme's ever, there's nothing striking about this show's opening theme (again, another wasted oppritunity, considering the subject material).

I'm only a few episodes in, but apparently the writing goes down hill as the show goes on, and it progresses away from the war and toward the all-female medical unit on the island. Sounds like a crap sandwich is comin' down the pipe, air express.

EDIT:
    I finished the series. There were barely any deaths on the show, but the deaths were quick and just in passing -- they weren't memorable like say in "M*A*S*H". And they were cheapened, too. The first person I remember dying, his death consisted of two stock scenes from earlier in the series. Then the last person I remember to die, his death became stock fottage which was re-used as regular scenes later on.

And later on in season two, there was far more nurse action. This became annoying 'cause it did draw the focus away from the war and because ALL of the actresses were wooden and one dimentional. The acting was terribly bad at times, along wit hthe writing.

I read online the show got cancelled after one season, but then got renewed. Unfortunately, this cancellation result in two of the main characters not coming back, one of which had become a stand-out and was making the cast shine. A pity.

It was always the Japenese. Despite being WWII, not a single time did we see a Nazi or was there a reference to the Nazi's. Japan was not hte only ally of the Nazi regime, yet that's all we ever saw.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Glen A. Larson double feature tonight:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Hilarious!)

and

Battlestar Galactica (Grand!)

The first one recycling effects from the second one.
    Gotta love late 70s glorious scifi! For tomorrow I have scheduled Battle Beyond the Stars and / or The Last Starfighter.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    The first one recycling effects from the second one.

I remember that!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013
    Came back from PACIFIC RIM just now. Totally ridiculous nonsense, of course, but loads of fun. I'm glad I brought my earplugs, though. Except for the effects, the film had a very "80's action feel", I thought, especially in the black/white characters, the silly dialogue etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Just saw Her Cuteness Jane Fonda in

Barbarella. (1968)

A madman named Duran Duran,
    a winged angle (whose relatives De Lauretiis would later cast in "Flash Gordon")

and 30 years old Jane Fonda in skin tight clothing and various degrees of naketness for a trippy duration of 90 minutes.

Did I mention that legendary zero gravity strip tease that opens the movie?

Quite a nice pastime.

love love love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013
    I just spent the afternoon and evening doing something weird:

I watched through the entire gameplay of the new SEGA game ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES on Youtube. First-person shooters are not my kind of game (not even back when I DID play computer games in the 90s) -- it's a bit too monotonous for my taste, plus it always freaks me out -- but I can watch someone else play so that it almost plays out like a film. As a massive ALIEN fan, I wanted to see how it developped and expanded the existing film universe. I liked several bits of it, but maybe not as a total experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013 edited
    Oh, and I just realized they made another game in the series called STASIS INTERUPTED which accounts for why [spoiler]Hicks is alive[/spoiler] in the aforementioned game. Guess I have to watch that gameplay too.

These games are made in collaboration with Fox and are officially part of the ALIEN canon, so that means [spoiler]Hicks is now alive in the series[/spoiler]!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Just saw Her Cuteness Jane Fonda in

Barbarella. (1968)

A madman named Duran Duran,
    a winged angle (whose relatives De Lauretiis would later cast in "Flash Gordon")

and 30 years old Jane Fonda in skin tight clothing and various degrees of naketness for a trippy duration of 90 minutes.

Did I mention that legendary zero gravity strip tease that opens the movie?

Quite a nice pastime.

love love love

I've watched this bonkers film many times and never tire of it, it's far out man.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. - I don't half miss Ringo.
    - He's far out there.
    - Always was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
    STASIS INTERUPTED was pretty good -- better than the official game. Explains a lot of gaps and makes the whole thing easier to accept as part of the ALIEN lore.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013
    MAMA ( 2013 )

Apart from an appallingly drawn out tear-drenched ending that went on far too long this was a very entertaining 'old school' horror movie filled with creepy atmosphere and old fashioned shocks over violent gore. It's nothing anyone hasn't seen before but it's all done very well and is co-produced by Guillermo Del Toro.

From what I noticed, I liked the score by Fernando Valazquez which had a Young/Elfman vibe to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Behind The Candelabra

Michael Douglas' amazing tour de force as an aging Liberace in no way diminishes Matt Damon's excellent portrayal of his young lover Scott. Unbelievably this strong, engaging and at time quite moving film found no backers in the US and therefore had to be shot under auspices of HBO as a television movie, thereby foregoing any Oscar chances.

A crying shame as both Damon and Douglas are very strong and completely believable in very challenging roles, especially Douglas as he, through the wildly camp mannerisms of Liberace, somehow still conveys the sheer fear of rejection, age and loneliness the aging performer must have felt so often. In fact, I think it's the most powerful portrayal of an openly homosexual relationship this side of Philadelphia.

It is very gratifying to see the film go from accolade to accolade in European cinemas.

The music, not unexpectedly, consists mainly of Liberace songs (love it or hate it -I fall squarely in the latter camp, by the way. Except the boogie woogie. I love a good boogie woogie -, the man could surely play!) The arrangements were by Marvin Hamlisch, whatever that means (no idea what he did on the songs!).

Ultimately it's a small film.
    See it on large or small screen, it really doesn't matter all that much.
    But it is worth seeing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013 edited
    Yes, I've heard nothing but good reviews for that film and would like to see it. Douglas performance in particular has been repeatedly cited by critics as exceptional, it's a shame he'll not be eligible come Oscar time.

p.s. I vaguely remember seeing a TV made Bio of Liberace many years ago with, I think, the guy who played Scorpio in Dirty Harry?

EDIT: just googled wiki. Andrew Robinson was the actor...

" In 1988 he portrayed Liberace in a television biopic. With one of Robinson's acting trademarks being his effeminate voice, he was well suited for the part. Robinson had described it as one of his favorite roles, and that, "The most fun was wearing his furs and jewelry and singing 'I'll be Seeing You.'"[10] The New York Times review wrote that, "Robinson does rather well in the leading role."
  6. It's quite a moving, if very typical, biopic. The film's evil twist on the way lovers come to resemble each other more and more over time leads to some terribly funny moments also. (Rob Lowe's appearance still makes my head hurt.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013 edited
    Just saw PAIN & GAIN. Loved it! It's great to see Bay do comedy and go over-the-top -- even parody -- with his own style that influenced so many.

I've already said that Jablonsky's score is one of my favourites this year, and it was cemented further by seeing the film. Absolutely SUPERB stuff! Cool use of songs too -- esp. "Gangsta's Paradise".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013 edited
    Elysium

Meh.
    Was led to believe it was a clever, society-conscious, critical scifi film, but it's just an OK actioner.
    Enjoyable enough on popcorn level, but don't expect any layers to be peeled off to reveal a deep, meaningful core.
    Things aren't helped along by the fact that everyone is wildly overacting (including the usually so reliable Jodie Foster, who now through her continuous sneering and twitching rather seems vaguely deranged than menacing). Matt Damon however, interestingly, is very good. Sadly he simply can't carry the film on his own.
    The special effects are great, the sound design -sound effects and mixing- is terrific....but it doesn't hide the fact that the director's previous, cheaper District 9 was SO MUCH better.

Ryan Amon's relentlessly pounding score hits all the expected notes in a completely predictable fashion, including the obligatory Wailing Woman for Dramatic Effect.

Ah well.
    It was better than staying at home.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013
    Martijn wrote

Ah well.
    It was better than staying at home.

Crumbs! Has it really come to this!? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    I just had some unexpected workrelated issues pop up, so staying at home would have seen me right cranky and stressed. So it was good to get out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    House of Cards trilogy

The BBC originals (recently issued on Blu Ray). I'd forgotten how enjoyable these are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    YOU may very wel think so..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013 edited
    Star Trek Into Darkness

The movie sequel to a re-boot to a film franchise based on a TV show that's a loose remake to the refresh of the original film franchise.

I saw this in the cinema, and admittedly I was fooled by the impressive visuals and quick pace. I came out thinking it wasn't a bad film. Dumb, sure, but pretty entertaining. But having watched it again in the comfort of my own home, I have concluded this is a pretty fucking terrible film. My biggest gripe isn't the fact that it isn't really Star Trek, I actually don't mind the appeal-to-the-masses-action-movie approach they inevitably had to go for, or that the plot has more holes in it than my old socks. No. It's the fact that they can't manage anything ORIGINAL, they have to rely on references and hope that the general audiences' vague knowledge of Star Trek will fill in the gaps of the screenwriters' piss poor attempt at story writing. It just goes through the motions. Rather than trying to do something of their own creation, instead they try to cram as many references to the old films as much as possible.

For example, if you took away everything Star Trek related in this world and just kept these films, there's absolutely no reason why Kirk and Spock should be friends. Spock is essentially a giant asshole who either gets angry or just comes off as a cold, heartless cunt. And Kirk is this hot-headed, frat boy who disobeys every order ever given to him. Without the real friendship of Shatner-Kirk and Nimoy-Spock we see in the original films, these two should really just hate each other. But we're forced to conclude that they're really friends, because that's what they were in the original films and TV show.

But here's the problem with its main attraction; Khan. When it's revealed that John Harrison is actually Khan, other than what fans know of this character due to the original Wrath of Khan, it's essentially a meaningless plot "twist". New audiences don't know who Khan is, and even worse, neither do the characters in the film itself. Their reaction, as with the audiences', should be "Okay, so what?" What's the point of 'revealing' Khan rather than just say it's Khan from the beginning? The only reason is so they can have a reveal half way through the movie to, hopefully, shock the audience. But even to those who are familiar with the character are pretty much poised to work it out as soon as Kirk starts beating him up. He's a Super Human.. oh, it's Khan. rolleyes

There are also countless plot holes which, to be fair, wouldn't be so bad if they actually tried to do something original with the story. It all just ends up coming off as excuses to have the new young and sexy crew of the Enterprise do things so that people will pay money at a cinema to see them, you know, do stuff.

I am not looking forward to another sequel if this is anything to go by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, Benedict Cabbage Patch made me cringe in this film. Hammy, over-acting. Bleugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    YOU may very wel think so..

FU.
  7. Steven wrote
    Also, Benedict Cabbage Patch made me cringe in this film. Hammy, over-acting. Bleugh.

Steven, if you wanna think deep thoughts, read Plato or contemplate the teachings of the Buddha. These films aren't made for thinking.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013 edited
    Yes, I know. As I said, I don't mind that. But that doesn't excuse bad writing. Die Hard is not made for thinking, but that film is brilliant.

Although I'm not really sure where you got that idea?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Into Darkness was pants!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Into Darkness was pants!

-Erik-

Prequels-syndrome. wink
  9. Steven wrote
    Yes, I know. As I said, I don't mind that. But that doesn't excuse bad writing. Die Hard is not made for thinking, but that film is brilliant.

Actually, while you can just plain enjoying, there is much more of a thinking man movie to Die Hard that you might give it credit for. Or maybe it's just... depth smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    More like Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof syndrome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

Actually, while you can just plain enjoying, there is much more of a thinking man movie to Die Hard that you might give it credit for. Or maybe it's just... depth smile

Maybe, maybe not. The point is, Die Hard is not an intellectually stimulating film, no matter what spin you put on it, and neither are the new Star Trek films (one could argue neither were the original films, but that's beside the point). But I'm not criticising it for that, which Volker seems to think I am. I'm criticising them for their over-reliance on references and non-sensical plots.