• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    Pr. the discussion in another thread (and the "how many albums do you own" stat topic), I was kinda curious about how many films you've SEEN scored by your favourite composers?

Over this last year, I've made it a mission in life to watch as many films as possible by my three favourites Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal. Of course, it's tremendously difficult once you get past a certain date and "point of obscurity". I mean, Williams - for example - has been working in the music and film biz since the late 50's. Although he's no Morricone, the output is overwhelming, especially if you venture into his TV work.

So here are my stats:

John Williams:

Seen: 92

Missing:

1974 - Conrack
    1973 - Cinderella Liberty
    1973 - The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
    1971 - Story of a Woman
    1969 - Daddy's Gone A-Hunting
    1966 - The Plainsman
    1966 - Not With My Wife, You Don't!
    1965 - The Katherine Reed Story
    1965 - John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
    1963 - Diamond Head
    1962 - Bachelor Flat
    1961 - The Secret Ways
    1960 - Because They're Young
    1960 - I Passed for White
    1952 - You Are Welcome

....plus a whole lotta TV stuff, like the HEIDI TV film.

Danny Elfman:

Seen: 66

Missing:

2000 - Condo Painting
    2008 - Proud Iza
    2009 - 9
    2009 - Taking Woodstock

....plus a few films that feature Oingo Boingo songs:

1977 - Hot Tomorrows
    1981 - Longshot
    1982 - Tempest
    1985 - Stingray - "Ancient Eyes"

Elliot Goldenthal:

Seen: 24

Missing:

1979 - Cocaine Cowboys
    1980 - Blank Generation
    1990 - Criminal Justice
    1992 - Fool's Fire
    1992 - Grand Isle
    1993 - Golden Gate
    1995 - Voices from a Locked Room

....plus a whole lotta student films he did in the early 70's.

PHEW!

Your turn. Let's spread some "nerd love"!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Hey, you posted a youtube of Bachelor Flat. Doesn't it count? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hey, you posted a youtube of Bachelor Flat. Doesn't it count? wink

He, he...no, you have to have watched the WHOLE movie. COMPLETELY AND CHRONOLOGICALLY! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    While I don't have the stats that Thor has I can say that I've pretty much seen all of the films that Friedhofer did scores or orchestrated for that have been released.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    While I don't have the stats that Thor has I can say that I've pretty much seen all of the films that Friedhofer did scores or orchestrated for that have been released.
    Thomas

That's quite impressive!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think there's any composer to whom I've seen every film they have scored, and I'm not into watching bad films unless it's a necessary evil wink

Though I have seen every film scored by Mike Oldfield and Philip Sainton cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think there's any composer to whom I've seen every film they have scored, and I'm not into watching bad films unless it's a necessary evil wink

not to damn hard with sainton in that its only one.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Friedhofer didn't do the huge volume of films other composers did
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

Maybe not, but he's still listed with 156 films at the imdb link above. And that's just for his composer duties.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Of the John Williams scores I have, I've seen 71% (36/51) of the movies, but have only seen 10% (39/400) of Morricone scored movies.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

not to damn hard with sainton in that its only one.
    thomas

Same goes for Oldfield Tom wink

The Exorcist doesn't count as it was pre-existing music
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Not counting TV, 30 even for Jerry Goldsmith.

19 for Williams.

12 from Horner. Plus two more, but only parts of (I actually tried watching "Jade").
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Wow, Thor, you sure are a completist!

All joking aside, how do you go about the business of tracking the films down? I mean: do you buy each one on DVD, or are you waiting if it is shown on TV, etc.?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    fommes wrote
    Wow, Thor, you sure are a completist!

All joking aside, how do you go about the business of tracking the films down? I mean: do you buy each one on DVD, or are you waiting if it is shown on TV, etc.?

Renting on DVD, going to the library (which has happened about twice), renting or viewing films online. None of this stuff is really ever shown on Norwegian TV. I don't BUY the film unless it's a film I'd really like to own, and to be honest - much of the early Williams stuff is crap. The whole "viewing all the films they've done" thing is not really a part of my completist urge - as that has solely to do with owning all their MUSIC - but it's a real "extra" curiousity I've been having over this last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Ah ok. If there's a Williams scored film on TV I generally try to tape it (although actually watching it is not always a logical consequence, as my unwatched tape of Cinderella Liberty will testify...). I've only once bought something for the music alone - The Eiger Sanction - but will probably do so more in the future as the DVDs end up in the sale bin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Ah ok. If there's a Williams scored film on TV I generally try to tape it (although actually watching it is not always a logical consequence, as my unwatched tape of Cinderella Liberty will testify...). I've only once bought something for the music alone - The Eiger Sanction - but will probably do so more in the future as the DVDs end up in the sale bin!

It's definitely not a bad idea. Unfortunately, some of the obscure things that remain on my list above are no longer to be found - not even in sale or cut-out bins. Not over here, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009 edited
    Plindboe, I wasn't expecting this kind of number. How many of them are Italian pictures?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    Joep, what number did you expect? More or less? wink

19 of the Morricone-scored movies I've seen were italian:

Per un pugno di dollari
    Per qualche dollaro in più
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
    La ragazza e il generale
    C'era una volta il west
    La bataille de San Sebastian
    Il clan dei siciliani
    Queimada
    Giu' la testa
    Sacco & Vanzetti
    Il mio nome e' Nessuno
    Occhio alla penna
    Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
    La scorta
    L'uomo delle stelle
    Pasolini, un delitto italiano
    Il fantasma dell'opera
    La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano
    Malena

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited
    I know you're a real Morricone cd collector and that you love listening to the music. When someone'is a Morricoen buff, I would expect a little more than 39 titles.

Il clan dei siciliani is a French film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'd love to have seen more. One often gets a deeper understanding and appreciation of a score after having seen the movie it was composed for. Also, for a fan of film music, watching movies of scores I know well is basically a kind of MTV to me.

But it's difficult when living in a country where 99% of movies on the telly are american movies. Going out to rent movies proves just as disappointing.

True about "Il clan dei siciliani". I forgot about that one.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The biggest hurdle to watching Ennio's movies (Italian) is that it is very difficult to get DVDs with

1. English subtitles
    2. NTSC
    3. Region 1

I might have seen only a handful of his Italian films sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    I'd love to have seen more. One often gets a deeper understanding and appreciation of a score after having seen the movie it was composed f

Yeah, a kind of "nerd MTV".

I wouldn't mind being shown around James Horner's or Danny Elfman's house in this parallell version of "Cribs"! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    But it's difficult when living in a country where 99% of movies on the telly are american movies. Going out to rent movies proves just as disappointing.

One word: interwebs. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I disagree over the limited amount of Italian films on region 1 (with English subtitles). You go and search for them and you'll notice there are more than plenty. Crime thrillers giallo's, westerns, action, comedies etc .And many films by Italian filmmakers of influence, such as Passolini. Argento, Cerbocci, Sellima, Tornatore... And there's so much more beyond region 1 (with EN subtitles). The things that are hard to get by are the, for example, small Italian films produced for television by RAI. And of course more, but I think people underestimate the availibility of his films.

Plindboe, if you own a creditcard you can easily order many titles for cheap. I bought Da Uomo a Uomo for 5 euro (ncluding shipping costs) from Amazon UK. It is a risk, but often worth a try. I would not take my chances with every film. Maybe I could help with getting you some good films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Thanks for the advice Joep. I shall look into it.

I've certainly heard good things about "The battle of Algiers", "Novecento", "Investigation of a citizen above suspicion" and "Il grande silenzio". I'm quite poor these days, but I'm sure I can afford a movie once in a while.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

Maybe not, but he's still listed with 156 films at the imdb link above. And that's just for his composer duties.

Maybe I should rephrase that sir. I've seen the films he orchestrated for Steiner and Korngold and all of the films where a CD has been released. I had no idea he was involved in that many films, sorry.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Plindboe: Excellent choices to start your endeavour with! Some real essential titles. I haven't seen Indagine Su Un Cittadino Al di Sopra di Ogni Sospetto (citizen above suspicion), but I know Gian Maria Volonte was praised for his impressive acting skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    I don't have the $$ to buy the DVDs. If they're on Netflix or in my school library then I'll try them. But even for the acclaimed "Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion" with the DVD being a deluxe production, it was with no English subtitles, and only for Region 2, PAL. I checked it out from my library without knowing that and when I desperately wanted to see it, I ripped and converted to NTSC, Region-free. I also located English subtitles online and loaded them onto the video and finally saw the movie (it's good). But that's not something I want to do often.
    I've seldom seen Region 1, NTSC, English subs for Morricone's Italian output. Maybe they're available for PAL, Region 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    Can you imagine watching all the Morricone films? Yikes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Can you imagine watching all the Morricone films? Yikes

Probably a thousand hours + Tom shocked dizzy spin