• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012
    Also we need an implementation of this function to the forum, when you click on one member's profile that has been given one formal offence and so on, that should appear clearly in the profile or even better, in the forum to each post he makes. Kinda like an avatar nobody wants.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, you're letting him win you know that. And if he continues like that, by these rules he will be out soon. Under all the years with maintitles, i think you're giving a stupid remark (which wasn't either a personal attack or a threat, or racism, just plain idiotic and immature) too much weight.

I agree. I think we've had a couple, maybe three, conflicts, after all the years here?

Demetris wrote

But any decision you take will be respected, it's just sad that you're giving one particular member so much credit.

Again, I agree. Too bad to 'loose' one of the veterans of the place, and one of the more active members, due to a simple comment.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Some peer pressure on Justin would work. And it seems that he's not visiting this thread at all. Martijn, would you find putting the warning information to him in a thread that he regularly attends (or even two of them) too confrontative?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Justin's aware, as I have informed him through PM, including the very same information as set out in the thread.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. OK.

Really hard to handle such a situation in a trusty environment like this one. We just don't know what people have in their sleeves.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Justin, you are a little man. Shame on you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, you're letting him win you know that.

Let me reiterate this. By saying he won means that he got away with what he did with a simple and ineffective slap on the wrist. I don't approve but this isn't my forum and I'm not a moderator.

Demetris wrote
    Under all the years with maintitles, i think you're giving a stupid remark (which wasn't either a personal attack...

Calling me a terrible parent is NOT a personal attack?

BTW, this isn't the first time he has done this. What about this beauty.

I'm not going to participate in this forum until he is properly dealt with and if that means I have to wait two years for him to fuck up again so be it.

IMO, his account should be suspended until he apologizes. I don't care if he means it or not... I just want him to write it down. But he's a little coward so I expect hm to go about his business as if nothing happened.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not going to participate in this forum until he is properly dealt with

According to the newly set-out rules this has been properly dealt with (from a moderation point of view).
    I accept and respect that your feelings about this may be far different, and that this -as you've said a few times- is very much a *personal* protest on your side.

Again: I'm greatly saddened by this, and do wish you'd reconsider.
    But if not, rest assured I fully empathise.

I'm sorry Justin won't be a bigger man than this.
    This was all quite unnecessary.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, you're letting him win you know that. And if he continues like that, by these rules he will be out soon. Under all the years with maintitles, i think you're giving a stupid remark (which wasn't either a personal attack or a threat, or racism, just plain idiotic and immature) too much weight.

I agree. I think we've had a couple, maybe three, conflicts, after all the years here?

I don't think either of you is a parent - and neither am I. But I can't imagine there would be a more offensive comment to anyone with children than saying that they are a bad parent.
  3. Southall wrote
    But I can't imagine there would be a more offensive comment to anyone with children than saying that they are a bad parent.

James, if you can't think of any, that means you are not creative enough...
    I can think of ten just right now. But i won't spew them, as that would do nothing to resolve this situation.
    I sincerly agree with D., Martijn and Bob who all try to keep this thing from flying out of proportion.
    I really hope Erik can get past this and stay active on the forum. But can we now please move on from this and go and have fun already with all of us...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012 edited
    LeHah over at FSM has called me things ten times worse than that (calling me a plague and wishing me death from cancer and whatnot), so I personally wouldn't make such an inane comment deter me from the board altogether. Quite the contrary, it makes me want to stick around even more, because the stupidity of such comments always fall back on the one who made them. But that's Erik's call.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Ouch.

Well, on my board a guy suggested that I had sex with Hans Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012
    Did he suggest you two get a Zimmer? biggrin

(Sorry. shame
    Awful joke.
    And name jokes are SO puerile.)
  5. Thor wrote
    LeHah over at FSM has called me things ten times worse than that (calling me a plague and wishing me death from cancer and whatnot)....

What LeHah fails to understand is that... death is too good for this Norwegian. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

(Sorry. shame
    Awful joke.

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    LeHah over at FSM has called me things ten times worse than that (calling me a plague and wishing me death from cancer and whatnot), so I personally wouldn't make such an inane comment deter me from the board altogether. Quite the contrary, it makes me want to stick around even more, because the stupidity of such comments always fall back on the one who made them. But that's Erik's call.

I remember very well what he said and I won't reiterate it again. He should have been slapped down severely but as I remember nothing happened.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ouch.

Well, on my board a guy suggested that I had sex with Hans Zimmer.

Wishful thinking on his part eh Pawel wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I remember very well what he said and I won't reiterate it again. He should have been slapped down severely but as I remember nothing happened.

Fsm.
  6. In practical terms, nothing really happened here either. Now if it happens again...a process is in place for something to happen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Fsm.

LeHah is registered here as well D but as far as I know hasn't posted anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank God.
  7. Martijn wrote

(Sorry. shame
    Awful joke.

applause

Foreign languages aren't too strong in that one. He asked my friend to make a picture of him and Joe Hisaishi at the film music festival two years ago. Richard is English, so he asked this

"So. You make a photo of me, Joe Hisaishi. OK? Then you send me the email. OK? Picture, e-mail. OK?" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012 edited
    I have been reading through all this and it was quite a ride. I'm sort of happy I didn't check my e-mails, but on the other hand action could've probably be taken earlier.

I'm very frustrated with Justin not in the least excusing or answering the calls of most of the active membership. I understand Erik's reaction. Him leaving is a sad turn of events, but action has been taken and this is his decision. Justin's reaction seems very wild and random and seems to grow from frustration over the year. However, it is unacceptable.

Nonetheless, I'm really impressed by how Martijn handled all this, taking the lead and trying to approach the issue of our loose community rules, together with the other mods. I'm extremely lucky with such mods. I would in no way know how to handle this by myself. I definitely agree with the warnings and the three states of sanction.

As for technical changes: that's a no go. I don't want ignore buttons or ignore users, that is too much setting the forum to your hand in terms of content. To me a forum is where people meet, experience other people, learn and talk and if you can't handle a person that is an active part of the community, then you should accept that. The removal or ignoring of a person is to be decided by the mods. Good mods don't need an admin, so no need to wait for me next time I'm away. smile

I'm also a little disappointed by Pawel, who again and again has to remind us of the piece and how he doesn't like Justin. Your reaction, and blending in your opinion as it if were facts in A&C a few pages before was very frustrating to read. I hope you leave this road.

Thanks guys, and especially Martijn for the action taken here.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012 edited
    I just want to add that stating things as fact has always been a general problem at this place, not only with Pawel. It is the reason why I stopped posting the way I did.

Art in general is subject to taste. Stating as fact that a certain kind of music has more worth than another will always draw in a strong reaction, which I feel is what is intended by the remark. By treating your opinion as such - an opinion - you will leave more room to other people´s opinions than by stating that your opinion is the right one to have.

Obviously, a lot of the FACT!-swinging is intended to be a jest, but sometimes it´s clear that the jester indeed won´t accept other people´s opinions. But it´s as simple as that: People will always love the music they love, and nothing can be done about it. You can only open them up to your kind of music by kindly showing them what´s so great about your own choice of music. For example, I will always appreciate Erik´s attempts to describe to me why he loves certain things about Williams that I passionately don´t like, giving examples or trying to communicate the reasoning behind his taste. And that´s the only way to do it. I prefer that Erik a lot over the FACT!-Erik.

What I want to say is that people will always react negatively to being told that what they like is bullshit. If you do that, you simply have to live with the reality of things, meaning that from time to time, some people will react VERY negatively about that. It also creates a certain antagonistic feeling that will grow, until it´s developed into something no one really wants. It´s no excuse for insults. But it is a bit of inviting them.

To sum this up, the moderator´s decision was - IMHO - the appropriate one. That neither Erik nor Justin are willing to get over their egos and do the right thing now (Erik posting again and simply ignoring Justin, Justin addressing the issue by apologizing) is the exact thing that´s part of their personality (as it is mine to whine about things from time to time). Nothing can be done about it.

The moderators have done their job, and very well indeed. Time will settle the rest.