• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    I discovered a new composer recently: Marcel Barsotti.

His score for Pope Joan( Die Päpstin) has just been released in Germany this week. It is a wonderful historical score for orchestra and choir, full of themes and keeps the attention from the first note to the last. My favorite score of the year 2009 so far.

Here is a praising review of it: http://www.moviemusicuk.us/popejoancd.htm

I listen to clips on Barsotti's website and was really thrilled to hear his music for Der Seewolf. I ordered it and should be receiving it soon.

Anyone has heard some of his music?

http://www.marcelbarsotti.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    No, but it sounds interesting. Does it have a "religious" overtone, the subject matter considered?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'm only familiar with his score for Der Seewolf - and it is a good score. I'll be interested to check out Pope Joan.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    POPE JOAN is actually my favorite score of the year so far, along with District 9 and Baaria. He has been a hueg surprise for me! Here's what i shared with the IFMCA about his score for POPE JOAN:

MARCEL BARSOTTI's Pope Joan (2009) is a very emotional and melodic string-driven orchestral score. With the occasional break for the standard Renaissance-like Carnival music or the occasional action cue, the whole score shares Adrian Johnston / Paul Cantelon qualities and at places, i'd ever stretch it as far as Morricone. An extremely surprising release, an organic and lyrical orchestral score with some really beautiful orchestral / religious-sounding choral passages.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm only familiar with his score for Der Seewolf - and it is a good score. I'll be interested to check out Pope Joan.

How is it Alan? Is it a mix of orchestra and electronics all way through?
  2. Yes, I'd say that it is this mix all the way through. Though there are some instances where it's very obviously a synth-rich score (I'm not sure if the score is all synth or not).

But it's the style and enthusiasm of the writing that keeps it interesting for me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Alan, will try to find this 'cause his Pope score impressed me massively!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks Alan, will try to find this 'cause his Pope score impressed me massively!

How did you come by a copy? I know that SAE recently started stocking these German-labelled (Alhambra?) titles.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Das Wunder von Bern is essential!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How did you come by a copy? I know that SAE recently started stocking these German-labelled (Alhambra?) titles.

Erm.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    POPE JOAN is actually my favorite score of the year so far, along with District 9 and Baaria. He has been a hueg surprise for me! Here's what i shared with the IFMCA about his score for POPE JOAN:

MARCEL BARSOTTI's Pope Joan (2009) is a very emotional and melodic string-driven orchestral score. With the occasional break for the standard Renaissance-like Carnival music or the occasional action cue, the whole score shares Adrian Johnston / Paul Cantelon qualities and at places, i'd ever stretch it as far as Morricone. An extremely surprising release, an organic and lyrical orchestral score with some really beautiful orchestral / religious-sounding choral passages.

Thanks Tintin and D! I'll be getting this one. Religious scores + Marcel Barsotti = Must buy for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds like for me too cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote
    Das Wunder von Bern is essential!

That's quite a statement!
    I think I'll try Pope Joan first (the style seems right up my alley, by the look of things).
    Do you happen to have a review for Das Wunder Von Bern anywhere, Joep?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....I couldn't find any sound clips of this POPE score. Why is that?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor, if you check on Amazon Germany and on Itunes Germany, you will find plenty of sound clips there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    Tintin wrote
    Thor, if you check on Amazon Germany and on Itunes Germany, you will find plenty of sound clips there.

There are no sound clips on Amazon Germany's page and I don't believe I have access to the German itunes site. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Just scroll down a bit on the amazon page you linked there. You have some samples from track 14 to track 28.

On your itunes. Go at the bottom of the page and click on your flag on the right. You will then have a list of countries . Click on Deutchland and then put Barsotti's name in the search engine at the top. You can then listen to 15 clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Tintin wrote
    Just scroll down a bit on the amazon page you linked there. You have some samples from track 14 to track 28.

On your itunes. Go at the bottom of the page and click on your flag on the right. You will then have a list of countries . Click on Deutchland and then put Barsotti's name in the search engine at the top. You can then listen to 15 clips.

Amazon doesn't list any "clickable" track titles, I'm afraid. Guess it's an international "block" or something. But I found it on iTunes. Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote

Amazon doesn't list any "clickable" track titles, I'm afraid. Guess it's an international "block" or something. But I found it on iTunes. Thanks.

You're welcome. That's funny. When I go on Amazon Germany, I can listen to clips from track 14 to 28. Norway is even closer to Germany than Canada. It boggles the mind wink