• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Well, we've got a food thread (called "food, food, food"), but curiously there is none for beverages. So I thought I'd start one.

This is the place to discuss favourite drinks, wines, beers, soft drinks, milkshakes, you name it.

I'm currently enjoying a few glasses of white wine, a 2008 Marques de Caceres (mostly because I love their red wine and curious about their white equivalent). A bit too chilly, but decent. The only problem is that I'm hopping on to beers afterwards, and you know what they say - beer before wine is good, wine before beer is not so good (we have a better Norwegian expression for this, but I don't know the English version).

So....got any favs?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BEER!! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We have a similar expression for that too Thor, but it doesn't sound in English.

My favourite drink is LOOZA ACE.

Quickly followed by the dark fruit beer Rodenbach and red wine.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not that it will mean much to anyone here, but in Norway it goes like this: "Øl før vin, da blir du fin. Vin før øl, da blir det krøll". smile Memorize that to your next Norway trip and you'll be safe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    kroll = problems?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    kroll = problems?

Indeed! Well resonated. I'm not sure about the English word, it's what happens when you, say, have lots of wires in a bundle. Which is why the film title KRULL has always been amusing to me. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    BEER! Lots of beer!

I have my all time favs...

- Murphy's Irish Stout
    This and a local Oatmeal stout that I had at a micro brew here in town are my favorite stouts

- Hoegaarden
    The hints of coriander and orange peel is what surprised me the most... lick I can easily get lost in this beautiful brew.

- McAuslan's St. Ambroise Apricot Ale
    When I first heard about this beer (via my brother) I dismissed it as a chick drink but it's has become one of my all time favorite late night beers.

- Mill St. Tank House Ale
    Strong spicy drink with again hints of sweet caramel and toffee.

- Sleeman's Honey Brown
    About as light as I want to go. Great summer time beer with a little bit of sweetness that I love.

- Richard's White (with an orange slice)
    Another perfect summer brew. Without the orange slice it just doesn't work.

- Creemore Springs Lager
    A beer I have when chilling with friends. It tastes even better out of the tap. A sweet beer with lovely hints of caramel.

- Leffe Blonde
    I tried this for the first time a few months ago and instantly fell in love. The hints of banana in this beer is what won me over.

- Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer
    I just got my holiday pack with three different Gunn beers and their hard to find glass. This is a strong malty beer that really should be enjoy with food especially turkey and red meats. Fans of Scotch will most definitely love this beer. It's a beer exploding with flavour. It starts off bitter - very malty - but then as it goes down the sweet flavours erupt; toffee, almonds, and especially vanilla It's the most complex beer I've ever tasted! Every sip is rewarding!

And when I can find them I'll pick up a few Tetley's English Ale's, Boddington's Pub Ale's and Kilkenny's.

In my beer fridge now I have a few Jamacian Dragon Stout's (the first sip is almost always bitter but as you continue it becomes one of the most satisfying stouts I've ever tasted!) I also have a couple of apricot ales and the 3 Gunn's which I will have this weekend.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting list there, Erik. I'm afraid I've only heard of Murphy's Irish Stout. But perhaps our resident beer guru Timmer has heard about the others. Are some of these local Canadian beers?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southern Comfort...the drink of the gods.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Interesting list there, Erik. I'm afraid I've only heard of Murphy's Irish Stout. But perhaps our resident beer guru Timmer has heard about the others. Are some of these local Canadian beers?

The Canadian beers are the McAuslan's St. Ambroise Apricot Ale, Mill St. Tank House Ale, Sleeman's Honey Brown, Richard's White (with an orange slice), Creemore Springs Lager. Interesting that I lean more towards local beers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's a lethal local one brewed here called 'Old Roger', too much of this and the cosequences can be dire.

On the other hand if you want to 'crush your enemies and hear the lament of they're women' then this one is for you shocked biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Chapeau for Erik liking Belgian Beer! The only real beer.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

^
    Real beer?
    Right! That's it!!! 5 pints of Old Roger and then it's off to pay Bregt a little visit! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I ADORE tangerei and tonic. That's the one drink that comes to my mind first.
    Also, good dry red wine. Absolutely tasteful and perfect.
    And i also like HAIG whiskey and Jose Cuervo BLACK tequila (the few times i've been able to find it in bars).

Interestingly enough, when i was younger i was up to 6-7 drinks before i was at the top i could take and still walk on 2 feet, find the way home and NOT throw up once there, whilst now it's just 1-2 drinks for me, once a week or less.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    The only problem is that I'm hopping on to beers afterwards, and you know what they say - beer before wine is good, wine before beer is not so good (we have a better Norwegian expression for this, but I don't know the English version).

Our equivalent is "Beer before wine is fine - wine before beer makes you queer."

I love a traditional ale. My favourite is one called Barn Owl, but you don't see it around much (it's from Somerset, to the south-west of here, and quite localised).
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Bregt wrote

My thoughts exactly !
    It's known we make the best beer ! biggrin wink

Hoegaarden & Leffe Blonde are very good choices Erik ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

^
    Real beer?
    Right! That's it!!! 5 pints of Old Roger and then it's off to pay Bregt a little visit! devil

...and Eric too! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    - Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer
    I just got my holiday pack with three different Gunn beers and their hard to find glass. This is a strong malty beer that really should be enjoy with food especially turkey and red meats. Fans of Scotch will most definitely love this beer. It's a beer exploding with flavour. It starts off bitter - very malty - but then as it goes down the sweet flavours erupt; toffee, almonds, and especially vanilla It's the most complex beer I've ever tasted! Every sip is rewarding!

Nice to see an Innis & Gunn being mentioned. It's quite distinctive compared to other beers.

I'm favouring lager over wine at the moment - and the lager of choice is the Brazilian Brahma. Great taste and a lovely bottle that just fits nicely in the hand.

Beer of choice would always be Jennings' Sneck Lifter.

And whisky would be Talisker, Lagavulin and a local whisky Rosebank (the distillery is no longer producing though).

BTW, when I was at high school and had to walk to the bus stop to get the bus home the stop I favoured was directly beneath the chimney in the photo in the Rosebank link. The smell coming from behind that wall was wonderful! dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Eric wrote
    Bregt wrote

My thoughts exactly !
    It's known we make the best beer ! biggrin wink

Hoegaarden & Leffe Blonde are very good choices Erik ...

Beer, one of the few things that's good about our country. slant

I myself like a little Leffe Brown and Hoegaarden Rosée from time to time. lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hoegaarden Rosée lick

I have been admonished by Bregje that this is not a real beer.
    So now I fear and eschew it in public and only drink it when I'm alone, all the shades drawn and the phone off the hook. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Lemon Juice, Grape Juice, Mango Juice, Pista Milk, Badam Milk, Rose Milk etc. In these, i take Lemon Juice lot. However, everyday i drink Horlicks lite. biggrin Earlier, i was a Complan boy. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Horlicks?

I guess for Horlicks lite you...erm...add water?

And Complan just looks positively vile
    Honestly, I can't stand those "energy vitamin mineral enriched booster drinks". They almost invariably taste like chemical spills having leaked in Tchernobyl cooling water.

On the positive side, you and Bregt should hit it off bigtime!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Looza ACE is not an energy drink! angry

It's just juice. From carrots,peaches, apples, oranges, ...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, and it looks like chemical spills having leaked in Tchernobyl cooling water... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Looza ACE is not an energy drink! angry

It's just juice. From carrots,peaches, apples, oranges, ...

You need to get out more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    When I go out, at least I can order real beer!

:blam:
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

When we go out we can drink in real pubs with real beer.

:down-in-flames:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote

As opposed to...? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

As opposed to...? uhm

Panther piss!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Big pints, not much taste.
    Kazoo