• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Stavroula wrote
    Damn the distance!I want him here!

I can jump the red-eye from Schiphol and be there before 5 tomorrow morni...
    Stavroula wrote
    Noooo... he has finished with his military service a year ago. He is working in Athens...

Oh. sad
    <sound of heart breaking>
    cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Remember the tale of the three piggies my friend? Well no wooden hut can ever last long... wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited
    The past few weeks me and a couple of friends went to a "course" of beer tasting with the goal of discovering new stuff. Well, that worked well. A very enthusiast and passionate beer lover brought us 4 evenings of unique beers, combinations with chocolate, and topped it of with the Trappist beers yesterday. We are now also subscribed in the local beer fan organization and will attend all events possible. wink

It's still unbelievable what rich history there is behind many of these beers. I vowed myself also not to drink any ABInbev beers anymore, if possible. No more Leffe, Jupiler or Stella. They are all of inferior quality (but still better then a Heineken for example tongue ) compared to what I tasted the past weeks. And they are certainly far from what Belgian beer brewing process is.

Here are some pics of the past weeks.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 4d91f17f92
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    Bregt wrote
    The past few weeks me and a couple of friends went to a "course" of beer tasting with the goal of discovering new stuff. Well, that worked well. A very enthusiast and passionate beer lover brought us 4 evenings of unique beers, combinations with chocolate, and topped it of with the Trappist beers yesterday. We are now also subscribed in the local beer fan organization and will attend all events possible. wink

It's still unbelievable what rich history there is behind many of these beers. I vowed myself also not to drink any ABInbev beers anymore, if possible. No more Leffe, Jupiler or Stella. They are all of inferior quality (but still better then a Heineken for example tongue ) compared to what I tasted the past weeks. And they are certainly far from what Belgian beer brewing process is.

Here are some pics of the past weeks.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 4d91f17f92

punk beer
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    Copied from the Saturday night topic:

We went to a friend for a whiskey tasting evening!! We were with eight people and it was much fun!

He had nine different whiskeys and we took the whole night to taste and try to identify by colour, scent, taste and things like that. He had that information printed out for everyone, so we could guess which one was what.

I never drank whiskey (OK, one sip when I was 11 or something!?) but I liked it. The interesting thing is, when someone would ask me to taste 'a whiskey', I would think mwoa... but now tasting was interesting because of the subtle differences. There were even two I liked much more than the others.

I did not get drunk, because we took our time really. We first had tea at 20:30 and I think the tasting was between 21:30 and 1:30 and it was just a little bit each time. We drank water too and had great cheese, chocolates and salmon with it.

I have my notes right here and the whiskeys I liked were:
    - Balvenie
    - Bushmills

And I'm a bit confused about Scapa... I don't understand my notes completely anymore. Because I had almost all whiskeys wrong, I have to puzzle which one I thought it was and which one it actually was. But there were two I gave a + while tasting, and those should be Bushmills and Balvenie. If anyone can confirm those are smooth (mild?) and fruity, then it's correct.
    wink
  1. kiss

A whisky-drinking, film music-loving girl! shocked

Sorry I can't help you with the two you mention. Although I like whisky very much, I tend to have a limited experience with a wide variety: I know what I like and it's too expensive to buy to experiment. Maybe I should hunt down some tastings locally...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    Tasting is a really good idea. Even for a beginner (haha) like me, the differences were amazing.
    I've tasted fruit, caramel, smoke, wood, vanilla, salt, honey, you name it. The smells and 'after taste' are very different too. I know now that the Irish whiskies, like Bushmills, are softer in general. The other eight whiskies were Scottish.

A well known Dutch liquor store has 20% off all whisky this week... perhaps I should...
    ... wait for my birthday?
    slant

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013 edited
    I posted this on facebook too. Here's the beer batch from today's Sweden trip:

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a … 3375_o.jpg

lick
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! A very fine selection of Sweden's best. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote

biggrin

A nice selection!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

He, he....well, the beer to the far left is actually a Swedish specialty beer, but I'm a bit hesitant about Swedish specialty beers in general. Norwegian is much better (and Danish better than that again) if you limit it to Scandinavia.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I posted this on facebook too. Here's the beer batch from today's Sweden trip:

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a … 3375_o.jpg

lick

Don't hide that's Sierra Nevada Torpedo! wink That's a superb west coast IPA! And two Chimay Blues?! punk And the Punk IPA is fantastic!

Excellent haul!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

He, he....well, the beer to the far left is actually a Swedish specialty beer, but I'm a bit hesitant about Swedish specialty beers in general. Norwegian is much better (and Danish better than that again) if you limit it to Scandinavia.

I've tried every single one of those except for St. Erik's.

p.s. When did Erik get canonised?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Currently I have only one bottle of Young's Double Chocolate stout in the fridge. sad

But we do have three limes...and some tonic...and some gin...and Anne's just asked if I want a gin'n'tonic!!

I love that girl!
  4. My favourite beer brand is actually from Czech: Pilsner Urquell. The brewery was founded and is owned today by Germans, so I think that is patriotism enaugh. tongue It's expensive and hard to come by here in Germany though. sad I'll have to visit Prague again some time soon, I guess. beer

My standart beer brand is Krombacher Pils, a leading brand in Germany and one of the biggest breweries still in private ownership. The brewery is 8 km bee-line from where I live.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    My favourite beer brand is actually from Czech: Pilsner Urquell. The brewery was founded and is owned today by Germans, so I think that is patriotism enaugh. tongue It's expensive and hard to come by here in Germany though. sad I'll have to visit Prague again some time soon, I guess. beer

I had this many times. Not a fan of Pilsner's though (need something much more complex) but it's easy to find in my neck of the woods and it's dirty cheap, too.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Great set Thor!

The problem in a beer country like Belgium is that it is very hard to taste beers from other countries! I'd love to taste these IPA's you're all talking about but when you have a choice of over 1600 local beers and counting, then the foreign breweries are just not interesting enough to the shops I guess. I'm sure there are that sell them but I don't know any in my region.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Great set Thor!

The problem in a beer country like Belgium is that it is very hard to taste beers from other countries! I'd love to taste these IPA's you're all talking about but when you have a choice of over 1600 local beers and counting, then the foreign breweries are just not interesting enough to the shops I guess. I'm sure there are that sell them but I don't know any in my region.

That's too bad. There's some excellent beers outside Belgium. In fact, the best beer I've ever tasted is from Denmark (the Fur beer I mentioned earlier) -- even beats the Belgian ones I've tried.

But hey -- you live in beer paradise! You have practically every range of taste within your own borders.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The best I've ever tasted are here in the UK, so many micro breweries etc. Unless you're here you won't find them outside the UK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, microbreweries -- regardless of country -- are always the way to go if you REALLY want to find the treasures.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely! The main drink in my neck of the woods and what we are famous for is CIDER, if you're really into getting destroyed it's nigh unbeatable. I love it but I can't drink too much.
  5. Drinking cider, it's so easy to drink too much too quickly.

I remember I was allowed to have cider when I was quite young when we were out - as a family - when I was quite young: it was an alcoholic drink that was drinkable as a child!! It goes down very easily now - like something like Appletise/Appletiser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ugh....I can't take cider.

I remember ordering Strongbow in Britain a few years ago, believing it was beer (I actually knew it wasn't, but forgot at the time). Oh, the humanity!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Belgium, IMO, is home to the very best beer in the world... or at least has created the styles of beers I enjoy the most, HOWEVER, the country that's making the most daring beers at the moment is the US. The US craft beer renaissance is giving us stuff the likes that we have never had before... like Tampa, Florida's Cigar City Brewery Hunahpu Imperial Stout; an Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon. Who else in the world would have come up with that? Maybe Mikkealler. I mean, they use rodent poop in their Beer Geek Brunch Imperial Stout.

And of course there's the west coast IPA , which uses Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and/or Columbus hops to get that distinct and brilliant tropical fruit, grapefruit, pine needle taste that hopheads love so much!

Good lord I love beer!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Ugh....I can't take cider.

I remember ordering Strongbow in Britain a few years ago, believing it was beer (I actually knew it wasn't, but forgot at the time). Oh, the humanity!

Stongbow? That's like drinking that American Budweiser shit and saying it's a beer.

There are some truly wonderful ciders out there, you just have to go outside the cities and Britain is full of tiny rural communities.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Drinking cider, it's so easy to drink too much too quickly.

I remember I was allowed to have cider when I was quite young when we were out - as a family - when I was quite young: it was an alcoholic drink that was drinkable as a child!! It goes down very easily now - like something like Appletise/Appletiser.

haha!

Cider can creep up on you very easily, a true stealth ( or Ninja ) alcohol wink
  6. In Germany US beer is regarded as poison. American Budweiser is the epitome of bad beer.

Actually it's the same as in Belgium, you won't find many foreign beer brands hereabouts. Those that you do find are Guinnes Stout, Szech Busweiser and Heineken on which I am not going to comment in polite company. It's bloody horse piss!

Just had a glas of Jever. I love those northern German beers!

Volker
  7. Erik Woods wrote!

Good lord I love beer!

With cheese! wink biggrin
  8. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Drinking cider, it's so easy to drink too much too quickly.

haha!

Cider can creep up on you very easily, a true stealth ( or Ninja ) alcohol wink

Like freshly made white wine (Federweißer).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    In Germany US beer is regarded as poison. American Budweiser is the epitome of bad beer.

And you know that I'm not including the US marco's when I talk about the US ruling the universe in daring beer production, right?

Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote!

Good lord I love beer!

With cheese! wink biggrin

You know it!

-Erik-