• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Query to our British friends on the board, aside from out of the pages of Captain Courage and Horatio Hornblower, has any of you ever tasted (or indeed heard of) a beverage called "Shrubs", marketed as an "alcoholic cordial".

Just curious.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Never heard of it. A sign of bad marketing?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    smile
    I don't think they're particularly worried about marketing. Apparently it's been around for centuries.
    My Sussex friend pointed it out to me on a cider farm (of all places) and said it was a marvellous addition to rum.
    It is. It really is.
    Apparently it's from the same heritage and stock as grog, and is taken 'sec' as an anti-cold remedy (it's rather herb/honey-like).
    But as a rum mix it is fabulous!

He challenged me to check with more of my English friends to see who'd ever heard from it.
    So far it's nought for nought.

Which is good.

More for me.
    christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Having a second glass of a whisky called "Poit Dhubh" (pronounced "Potch Ghoo"). A nice change to Talisker - and it's a whisky that's actually recommended to drink with a dash of water!

I got this as a birthday present when we were on Skye during the summer. A 21 year old, unchilfiltered malt that cost Anne £50. Lovely.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    Sounds excellent ...
    Cheers Alan beer
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. Here's some information so you can imagine what I'm going through!

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc … 0000005677
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Here's some information so you can imagine what I'm going through!

Absolute bliss I should imagine ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    I tried my first Orval last night. A Belgian Trappist beer that has been considered by some to be one of the best beers in the world. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with it. It looked great, the smell as incredible but the taste was bland and uninteresting. Maybe I got a bad bottle... I have 3 more left to try but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    I tried my first Orval last night. A Belgian Trappist beer that has been considered by some to be one of the best beers in the world. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with it. It looked great, the smell as incredible but the taste was bland and uninteresting. Maybe I got a bad bottle... I have 3 more left to try but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.

-Erik-

I'm no fan of this one either, tried it once and never tried it again. I think it isn't the bottle wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010 edited
    Yesterday evening we had a Belgian beer evening with colleagues. It was quite spectacular to taste some never heard of beers, one of which I will seek out for sure. The Gueuze Girardin was absolutely stunning. It's exclusively brew with nature, so no elements are added during the brewing process. It takes 4 years before the beer is ready.

Oh, and the sommelier wasn't a fan of Interbrew (as we Belgians aren't much either, but still drink their lame beers quite a bit). He called Stella, Leffe, etc dead beers because they are aimed at tasting the same everywhere in the world, and served too cold (beer should not taste like ice). I've never liked that anyway. I'm a brown and amber beer fan!

Here are some pics (made with my phone, not very good ones)
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … d45b27fee9

I'm definitely going to explore the gueuze beers, which are awkwardly ignored here in Belgium. Martijn, when you would come to Belgium, you should taste some of our beers!

Erik Woods wrote

Not a fan either. I prefer Westmalle or La Trappe regarding trappists.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Westmalle Dubbel is my favorite beer of all time. Unfortuantely, it's been discontinued here in Canada. One that comes close that is the Gulden Draak Dark Trippel which I'm saving my last bottle for our Xmas Eve Family Beer Tasting. It's just as good as the Westmalle Dubbel but with much more alcohol (10.5%)

Speaking of La Trappe, I have a bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel chilling in my cold storage as we speak. I was thinking about opening that sucker tonight.

And I still have to sample a St. Bernardus Apt 12, which should be hitting Canadian liquor stores very, very soon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, you have an impressive cellar. My parents love St Bernardus btw. Westmalle is great indeed, Belgian's first Trappist I think?

How much do you pay for these Belgian beers actually? The sommelier yesterday told that for example for the Gueuze Girardin, you'd probably pay 70 or more EUR.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    Sounds like an evening up my alley, Bregt!

There are some beers that are good ice cold, though. Two days ago, I was at a place where they served San Miguel in frosted glasses. Excellent stuff!

But that's a very light beer, slightly lemon-y. Not all beers should be served that cold.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He explained that they hide the stuff they put into it by cooling it down so much. It can be very refreshing indeed, although it's not the idea of beer he said. Next time in Belgium, we taste the gueuze! I must say, the smell is bad but is no explanation for it's wonderful taste.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Westmalle was roughly $3.70/bottle when it was available. The St. Bernardus is $3.45/bottle. The La Trappe is a 750ml bottle which cost me $7.25. The most expensive beer I bought this year was an Ontario brewed Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout which I'm saving for Xmas time. That cost me $9.95. And if I want to get stupid I could pay $18.95 for a 300ml 40 year old Ola Dubh Special Reserve. On Old Ale styled beer which is supposed to be incredible.

Actually, now that I think of it the Westmalle was my second fav beer. The Gouden Carolus Classic is the best thing I've ever had. Unfortuantely, that isn't available any more either. However, the Ambrio is still available and I purchase that one from time to time.

I just had my first Icelandic beer today. A delicious and complex Smoked Imperial Stout called Lava from Olvisholt Brugghus. Fuck me that was tasty and high in alc. 9.4% Thank God I let that one breathe. About 15 minutes before I took my first sip. Yum! Highly recommended if you love full bodied, smooth, dark, complex, malty, rich, chocolaty, coffee flavoured stouts.

My "cellar" is packed with more rich stouts, spicy winter ales and Belgian beauties! Great time of the year for that stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    But that's a very light beer, slightly lemon-y. Not all beers should be served that cold.

Yes, light beers are usually served very, very cold. It's more about refreshment than flavour with those types of "beers."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What a cellar you have. I feel ashamed!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bah... it's tiny compared to what most have. I have roughly 15-16 beers in the "cellar" (too funny calling my cold storage a cellar) along with my Chimay gift pack which I get to open on Xmas day. That gift pack contains 3 Chimay beers - Première (Red), Trippel (White) (which I don't really like) and a Grande Réserve (Blue), which I'm dying to try. I have about 6-8 bottles in my beer fridge as well. 4 of them are my wife's Fruli's (Belgian Strawberry Fruit Beer) I think I have a few Abbey ales in there with a couple of cans of 666 Devil's Pale Ale and a Latvian beer called Zelta. I have a Latvian background so it was great to taste something from my grandparents home country!

So, that should be enough to hold me over until the new year.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    I just got a call from a client who said that my work drought is over! I lost this contract about three months ago and have been doing small little editing jobs here and there but now that this contract is back everything is good again.

So, I'm celebrating with some food and beer. I know the food portion of this post should be in the food thread but this is really about the beer I'm currently enjoying. With my homemade Buffalo chicken sandwich (which is soooo good) I'm currently enjoying my first ever Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - one of the highest rated beers in the world. And now I know why.

This is my favorite style of beer. Belgian Strong Dark Ale at 9% ABV. It's dark, syrupy, smooth, sweet, spicy, lots of dark fruit, a little alcohol burn. Fucking brilliant. I wish I could buy more of these but alas they only come to Canada in Christmas gift packs. I'll have to wait until next Christmas to sample other but it will be well worth the wait.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To your health Erik beer

now tell me how to make buffalo chicken sandwich lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    Really easy... one chicken breast... grilled, broiled, pan fried... whatever... toss in some Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, add Peppercorn Ranch Dressing, a little lettuce on on a sesame bun. Dill pickle on the side. Yummer!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This side of the Atlantic it comes un-stuck at 'Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce'* and 'Peppercorn Ranch Dressing**.

* Is this something like sweet chilli sauce or more of a chilli relish?

** no idea? It's got peppercorn's, right!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... Frank's Red Hot is the secret ingredient in Buffalo wing sauce but you can make it yourself. I make it using 8 table spoons of hot sauce (I use Frank's but not Tabasco), 8 table spoons of butter, 2 tsp of white vinegar... you can add some black pepper to taste. Simmer that shit up in a sauce pan.

If you don't have peppercorn ranch dressing then use regular ranch or add some cracked peppercorns to the ranch dressing.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Congrats on the job hunt and result Erik! That must be such a relieve.

Erik Woods wrote
    I'm currently enjoying my first ever Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - one of the highest rated beers in the world. And now I know why.

This is my favorite style of beer. Belgian Strong Dark Ale at 9% ABV. It's dark, syrupy, smooth, sweet, spicy, lots of dark fruit, a little alcohol burn. Fucking brilliant. I wish I could buy more of these but alas they only come to Canada in Christmas gift packs. I'll have to wait until next Christmas to sample other but it will be well worth the wait.

That's cool Erik! I got a box of the three most known Chimay beers (brune, blond and the blue one) for my Christmas, and a glass. Haven't tasted it yet.

Btw, there's a series on Flemish television in which a Belgian host is joined by the UK'er Ray Cokes and tour around my country to find the beers and the stories behind them, and cooking with beer. This week was about the factory that once produced the Westvleteren (including the 12). The rights to make the beer for the abbey ended in 1992, and since then they're producing the Sint-Bernardus Abt 12, which is almost the same as the original.

The Westvleteren has also changed a bit since 1992 though, so it's not a copy. It's definitely easier to find here in Belgium. http://www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html

Some parts are in English, first clip
    http://www.een.be/programmas/tournee-ge … levering-2

Here's a "hoppe" farmer and how they produce
    http://www.een.be/programmas/tournee-ge … levering-1

Other clips
    http://www.een.be/programmas/tourn%25C3 … %25A9rale/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... Frank's Red Hot is the secret ingredient in Buffalo wing sauce but you can make it yourself. I make it using 8 table spoons of hot sauce (I use Frank's but not Tabasco), 8 table spoons of butter, 2 tsp of white vinegar... you can add some black pepper to taste. Simmer that shit up in a sauce pan.

If you don't have peppercorn ranch dressing then use regular ranch or add some cracked peppercorns to the ranch dressing.

-Erik-

Thanks Erik beer eat
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Bregt wrote

Btw, there's a series on Flemish television in which a Belgian host is joined by the UK'er Ray Cokes and tour around my country to find the beers and the stories behind them, and cooking with beer...

And a brilliant , fun and informative program it is !
    I was happy when I heard that a second series got the go ahead ...
    Not to be missed !
    Ok , Tournée Générale !! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... that's it! I'm convinced. I don't care how poor I am right now but I see that my local LCBO has only 10 St-Bernardus Abt 12 left and they are going like hot cakes. I'm going right now to load up! I can't miss out on this.

-Erik-
  5. When out in Chester yesterday I came across Black Chocolate Stout brewed by Brooklyn Brewery. At 10% it packed a punch (including in the pocket - £5 for a 355ml bottle!), syrupy, chocolate, burnt molasses, almost a hint of tar and a bit of an alcohol hit at the end.

A wondrous beer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    Wow, a chocolate beer?!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    I want to live in Belgium.
    I am extremely serious.