• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    When out in Chester yesterday I came across Black Chocolate Stout brewed by Brooklyn Brewery. At 10% it packed a punch (including in the pocket - £5 for a 355ml bottle!), syrupy, chocolate, burnt molasses, almost a hint of tar and a bit of an alcohol hit at the end.

A wondrous beer.

It sounds horrible but I wouldn't knock anything until I tasted it myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    When out in Chester yesterday I came across Black Chocolate Stout brewed by Brooklyn Brewery. At 10% it packed a punch (including in the pocket - £5 for a 355ml bottle!), syrupy, chocolate, burnt molasses, almost a hint of tar and a bit of an alcohol hit at the end.

A wondrous beer.

One of my FAVORITE seasonal stouts! A great dessert beer and I bought a truck load when they were available last month!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Thor wrote
    I want to live in Belgium.

yeah, you and 1.000 of immigrants
    but I don't think they come here for the beer wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    If 90% of people in the UK went to live in Belgium I'd be very happy! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... that's it! I'm convinced. I don't care how poor I am right now but I see that my local LCBO has only 10 St-Bernardus Abt 12 left and they are going like hot cakes. I'm going right now to load up! I can't miss out on this.

How is it? I don't think I've ever had the chance to drink it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    It is yummy. Reminds me of the Chimay Blue (that style of beer) but not as "strong." But it's still very tasty and I'm glad I pick up ten of them. Quads are most definitely my favourite style of beer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik I applaud you on your choice of beverage. It's not everyday I hear someone from the other side of the world talk in an absolute positive way about belgian beers. Cheers man! beer

Beer might be one of the few good things ever to come out of this very troubled country.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Like I've told Bregt before I would love to retire to Belgium. Your beer is the nectar of the Gods!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Like I've told Bregt before I would love to retire to Belgium. Your beer is the nectar of the Gods!

-Erik-

That's why the beer is so good....makes you forget you're in Belgium. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    How's the general feelings about brown licor (whisky, cognac, armagnac, aquavit etc.)? I've usually disliked this, but picked up a bottle Braastad's cognac in the airport tax free last week, since I've long since wanted to familiarize myself with it and perhaps even get used to it.

Currently having a glass, and although it's a little too strong for my vulnerable stomach, I can see how it's a nice "cozy drink" for men with hair on their chest! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Whisky is my brown drink of choice. Don't like brandy at all.

Whisky needs to be a malt because of my particular taste.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    Indeed but Malt Whiskeys are goddamned expensive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I suppose they are. More so outside the UK I suppose. But they are worth it. And I suppose you don't drink too much at a time so it does last.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    ^
    aye! It should be savoured.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited
    Wanted to ask...

How's everyone's relation to everyday drinking?

I'm not talking about drinking yourself into a stupor, but having a couple of glasses of wine on a Tuesday evening - perhaps to dinner / a glass whisky/cognac / a beer or two etc.?

I ask because I've almost had a daily glass of the aforementioned cognac for a couple of weeks now.

Isn't there even supposed to be some health effect in smaller doses?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'm all for having a glass or two of wine with a meal every day. We usually get through 3-4 bottles a week with meals. I'd worry if I felt bad about not having the wine there and rushing out to buy some. That's getting too dependant. If it is there I'll have it, if it is not around that's just bad planning.

I wouldn't have a whisky every day. But I do have one regularly though infrequently. I have one just when I feel like one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    No idea as I don't do it, but I hear the French have a glass of red every day and yes, a small dose every day is supposedly beneficial.
  6. There is evidence that small amounts of alcohol taken regularly does have some medical benefits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited
    Thor, admit it, you're on the verge of alcoholism. wink

The only proven positive effect is heart-related and it's only from dry red wine, a small glass a day only. Not alcohol in general.
  7. And whisky:

www.news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/234957.stm

But only in moderation
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I endorse that! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Once, beer was prescribed when sick (or not even that), because it was healthier than water. Some beer types (lambik and its derivatives) are still considered a good source of microbes and such. No idea if it's true. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In many european countries alcohol was a healthier alternative to water which was disease ridden.

...long time ago of course wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011
    Curious tidbit for you Belgians:

I was at the wine monopoly today, and found that they sell my favourite beer Leffe in tiny 0.33 litre bottles for.......43 NOK each (almost $8)!!!

So you count yourselves lucky, you bastards! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011
    Interesting question Thor.

I often wonder when appetite becomes habit. I used to have a glass of wine, beer or port (or two) in the weekends only. Then it became more a habit of having a glass while preparing dinner. When I realised I was having a glass every day and not just the weekends I started wondering. Especially on days when I started preparing dinner a bit earlier than usual, because I was looking forward to my drink!
    wink

Anyway, I try to keep it minimal (I think it is minimal, some people have more than one glass each day) because I think it's healthier that way and because I think addiction is dangerous. I sometimes think I 'deserved' a glass, after a hard day of work. I don't know if that's right. On the other hand, I feel the same about a cup of coffee or a nice snack. I don't think that's bad.

In the winter I have one or two glasses of wine or port, three or four days a week.
    In the summer I have wine or beer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A glass of red dry wine (no sugar added and all) a day is not bad at all, as many cardiologists suggest. But only one glass per day max and only red dry wine.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    A glass of red dry wine (no sugar added and all) a day is not bad at all, as many cardiologists suggest. But only one glass per day max and only red dry wine.

If I remember correctly the worse thing you can do is binge drinking where you have a large excess of alcohol in a short space of time. And it doesn't need to be regularly for it to be damaging.

Alcohol count so far: a bottle of Brahma consumed, wine and bubbly (it is Anne's birthday today) in the fridge for later. No spirits planned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

If I remember correctly the worse thing you can do is binge drinking where you have a large excess of alcohol in a short space of time. And it doesn't need to be regularly for it to be damaging.

That's me almost every single weekend, and there's no force in the world that's going to keep me from doing that. It's one of the few highlights I have in my life. I need it. So in that case, I have to let consequences be consequences, and deal with them if/when they occur. One of the benefits of being an adult! smile

In the meantime, however, I'm surprised by how much I've ALSO come to appreciate a LITTLE bit during the rest of the week. A glass cognac and a good movie on a Monday night, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011 edited
    But do you binge drink? What constitutes binge drinking? I only drink in the weekend (and started when I was 21!), sometimes a bit much (but spread over a whole evening). I'm never really away or unable to remember what I did though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    But do you binge drink? What constitutes binge drinking? I only drink in the weekend (and started when I was 21!), sometimes a bit much (but spread over a whole evening). I'm never really away or unable to remember what I did though.

I interpret it as a good party?!

On a birthday party on Saturday, for example, I had 1 whole bottle of red wine, 1 vodka and 4 1/2 pints of beer. From about 18:00 to about 03:00. I guess that's a 'binge'?
    I am extremely serious.